Small animal salary USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briankirby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering,
For those of u who are in practice,may i ask what the salary is for a small animal vet in the US?
As in,for someone who is not a practice owner.
Would earn a lot of money here at home if i took over my fathers large animal practice but the work is so tough and no rota.One man show.
Id be willing to accept 70k or les in return for a better lifestyle.
Thanks a lot
B

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could take over a large animal practice. Total dream. :)

Hi guys,
Just wondering,
For those of u who are in practice,may i ask what the salary is for a small animal vet in the US?
As in,for someone who is not a practice owner.
Would earn a lot of money here at home if i took over my fathers large animal practice but the work is so tough and no rota.One man show.
Id be willing to accept 70k or les in return for a better lifestyle.
Thanks a lot
B

Better lifestyle than what? Small animal work can still be tough with 10hr+ days and potentially afterhours depending where you are and what your boss requires. So it would be helpful to tell us what you would like a better lifestyle than :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Better lifestyle than what? Small animal work can still be tough with 10hr+ days and potentially afterhours depending where you are and what your boss requires. So it would be helpful to tell us what you would like a better lifestyle than :)

No doubt its tough-smallies but cant be as bad as our practice.
Regularly 12-14 hour days.On call 24/7 1 in 1 rota.
Working in terrible condition(cold,rain,wind),poor facilities-we regularly use the car headlights if called out late.Not fun when the battery dies.
Doing your best for all clients and getting abused verbally despite this.
Then,having to call and call to get paid for the work u do_Often ending in a court case.
I feel like being an associate in a small animal practice with a good rota would improve lifestyle a lot.

Oh absolutely smallies in general delivers a better lifestyle than largies. Just your listed as a dental student - dentistry probably delivers a better lifestyle than smallies, hence why I asked :)