Small bites for fascial closure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctwoB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)60459-7/fulltext?rss=yes

It's great to see good studies in areas of surgical technique, when so much of what we are taught is dogmatic. I was always taught that fascial bites should be 1cm and 1 cm in travel to avoid strangulating the fascia. Consider that debunked.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)60459-7/fulltext?rss=yes

It's great to see good studies in areas of surgical technique, when so much of what we are taught is dogmatic. I was always taught that fascial bites should be 1cm and 1 cm in travel to avoid strangulating the fascia. Consider that debunked.

Never had concern for fascia strangulation, the concern was also hernia formation. We were taught the 1 cm/1 cm rule, but never told to make it even closer together because of that worry. It would make sense that you would have less hernia with a tighter closure.

A well designed study, albeit I find their hernia rate in the large bite group a little high, and their rate in the small bite group is higher than what they predicted in the power calculation (they powered for 15% in the large bite and 7.5% in the small bite group), and most of these hernias were diagnosed radiologically only (upwards of 50%) and we're close to significantly smaller (2cm vs 4cm, p was like 0.065, so likely a type 2 error). Still, if I get to make the decision on suture type (which I will next year as a chief, and maybe on a rare occasion this year) I may use a 2-0 pds and do small bits instead of the large bites with #2 looped pds which is our programs standard (the paper used #1 looped pds, tied it to itself and then possibly to each other. We just tie them to each other and not to itself, which somewhat defeats the looped part).

Using ultrasound to diagnose is weird but I suppose the idea was to sort of substitute that for longer follow up. Timely thread as we reviewed this paper in journal club last night. I think if you combine this paper with the Israelsson paper the preponderance of evidence seems to be on the side of small bites though. As painful as that may be.