Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Small bites for fascial closure

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by DoctwoB, Jul 28, 2015.

1. DoctwoB

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Winged Scapula likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ThoracicGuy

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Never had concern for fascia strangulation, the concern was also hernia formation. We were taught the 1 cm/1 cm rule, but never told to make it even closer together because of that worry. It would make sense that you would have less hernia with a tighter closure.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  4. thedrjojo

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    A well designed study, albeit I find their hernia rate in the large bite group a little high, and their rate in the small bite group is higher than what they predicted in the power calculation (they powered for 15% in the large bite and 7.5% in the small bite group), and most of these hernias were diagnosed radiologically only (upwards of 50%) and we're close to significantly smaller (2cm vs 4cm, p was like 0.065, so likely a type 2 error). Still, if I get to make the decision on suture type (which I will next year as a chief, and maybe on a rare occasion this year) I may use a 2-0 pds and do small bits instead of the large bites with #2 looped pds which is our programs standard (the paper used #1 looped pds, tied it to itself and then possibly to each other. We just tie them to each other and not to itself, which somewhat defeats the looped part).

SouthernSurgeon likes this.
  5. vhawk

vhawk 2K Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Using ultrasound to diagnose is weird but I suppose the idea was to sort of substitute that for longer follow up. Timely thread as we reviewed this paper in journal club last night. I think if you combine this paper with the Israelsson paper the preponderance of evidence seems to be on the side of small bites though. As painful as that may be.