1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

small deal but still academic misconduct

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by skylark, May 8, 2008.

1. skylark

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#1 skylark, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    In college, about 25% of students cheat in some way (sadly) ...only 1 in a few hundred thousand get caught. I am making up all these stats just to make my point. D-schools will see this and just assume you have always been cheating (which I am sure is not true).

Talk to your dean and do not leave his/her office until you remove it completely (in a way it is still on your permanent record).

GOOD LUCK

3. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    This is one of those situations where there's really no set answer. It will definitely look bad having this mark on your application but it by no means will prohibit you from getting into dental school. There are people who get accepted who have done ar worse. But still, you'll just have to work twice as hard to earn the same respect as the rest of your peers. You don't know how an admissions committee member will feel when they happen across your application. They may be feeling generous and be willing to give you a chance, or they could toss your application if they're in a grumpy mood. Just do your best from here on, keep your nose clean, and hope for the best.

4. Sephisabin

Sephisabin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I had a friend in a similar situation, but she was actually caught cheating on a test. Regardless, she got multiple acceptances... The most important thing, though, is being open about it. If you don't say much about the situation, they're going to be left wondering. Your explanation of the situation is fine, but you need to write more. They key is talking about how you learned from the experience and grew as a person. Nobody can fault you for making mistakes. The important thing is showing that you learned a lesson and are a better person for it.

5. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know it's kind of scary to report it but if you do mention it you will still have a chance to get in whereas not mentioning it will be 100% surefire way to get booted if you get caught covering it up. If it's a minor transgression on an otherwise solid application adcoms may treat it as a aberration. Show them that you've learned something from this and you probably will be fine. Whatever you do don't blame this single incident for not getting in if it doesn't work out. I think this incident falls under minor mistakes people make in life, at least from the way you put it.

7. will9631

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I hate it when terrible situations like this end up hurting the wrong people. I despise cheating and always have, and I accept (though I don't relish) seeing cheaters pay, but on things like labs and hw's the line is way to blurry to let someone's future be tarnished by one teachers interpretation of the rules. I've helped lab partners with reports before so your situation really scares me, and I really hope you can get past it. The best road for you, I think, is to work with your dean and the deans of the other dental schools to make sure they understand how minor your offense was. I don't think you should try to hide it, because then if it comes out you get really screwed, but if you get everything straightened out now it might even become a strong point in interviews, a chance to explain your views on ethics and integrity.

good luck, I really hope it works out

8. eric275

eric275 Prosthodontist
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't recall having the dean of my school comment on my application? Is this something new? I simply had to submit all transcripts, does your academic transcript show anything about the incident?

9. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Schools might require verification when you get accepted that you are who you are as advertised in your application. They may ask for a letter from the Dean/Registrar that nothing else went on with the acceptee beside the transgressions that were mentioned. I think this case is the least serious transgressions that I've seen on SDN. If the OP is genuine it will show because it probably will be one minor blemish in an otherwise spotless (I mean not disciplinary action taken beside this) application.

10. skylark

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the support guys. I'm definitely not covering this up because I do believe getting over this obstacle by being honest will be respectable to some extent.

so how should i go about telling the deans of the dental schools that this was a really minor issue. I'm just scared that they will assume the worst of me. I havent seen the dental app but is there a place where I can briefly explain myself? Or should I call the d-schools when I apply to explain this?

what i get from you guys is that checking "yes" for Academic Misconduct wont kill my chances too badly as long as I am honest and convey that I have learned from this situation.

11. Sephisabin

Sephisabin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yeah, when you check the box to say yes, there is a field right under it asking you to explain the situation.

12. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The good thing about mentioning it is that school will have factored this in when they invite you for the interview. As long as you don't act defensive when they ask about it you should be fine. :thumbup:

13. KinKs

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    good luck buddy

14. browncrack

browncrack Flood Damage
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I wouldn't mention it on the application until specifically asked. You will also need to determine specifically what conduct the dean was worried about address that specific concern and what you have learned from the experience. There is no "dean's section" on AADSAS or any secondary I have ever seen.

People cheat in dental school too. Give the school some $$ and not only will nothing happen to you but the school will tell you who ratted you out.

15. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ummmm, what?

16. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It has to be mentioned. Otherwise the OP will automatically get the boot.