1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Small/Dental Business Book(s) Recommendations

Discussion in 'Dental' started by bjhath, Jan 2, 2009.

1. bjhath

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I understand that being a competent business manager is an integral part of running a successful practice. Though I am only beginning my journey, I've got a little bit of free time right now and would like to prime myself on business aspects so I, at minimum, know what questions to ask my dentist when we talk shop.

Can anyone recommend a good small business book that you have found helpful?

"The Big Book of Small Business" looks like it may be a good start, but there is so much crap out there, I was hoping to tap into the experience/advice of others. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ibo man

ibo man Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

checkout dentaltown.com or dentaleconomics.com

4. texas_dds

texas_dds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    there is a good series specific to which state you are in, the one i bought is called "how to start a business in washington" - every state has one. good for general info on filing your business name with the state and local government, also how to get set up with the IRS etc.
    I also have another one called "how to start a medical practice" which is similar enough to dental to be useful.
    I would also seek out resources on business plan development - I had a great class to prepare me for this in dental school.

5. jdmdd

2+ Year Member

A book I really liked is called The E-myth. Its really for anyone in small entrepenoural buisness. There is also an E-myth for doctors....It basically expounds the philosophy that you should be working ON your buisness and not IN it.
    check it out....

6. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
  7. Daurang

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The Millionaire Next Door.

8. bjhath

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Thanks for all of the input.

I checked out dentaltown yesterday and ended up spending quite a few hours searching and reading. Wow! What a great resource and eye opening experience. It really made me start thinking of the reality that I will face after d-school (especially wrt the $$$ I am about to lay out). It looks like this is going to be a long, somewhat scary, journey from pre-dent to dental student to successful dentist/businessman. I just need to remember to take it one day at a time...

I will definitely check out E-myth, Millionaire next door, as well as the other resources mentioned. My plate is now again full!