small grammatical mistake in letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crizotinib

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent out about 10 applications couple days ago, but it was not until this morning that I noticed I've made a tiny grammatical mistake (extra "I") in one of the sentences that I used repeatedly. Will programs hold this mistake against me?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a disqualifying mistake. It's just annoying to read as a reviewer and if you had a great LOI it would possibly just knock you down to average for that particular section's screening score. How many people reviewed your letter as a double check and missed it?

It's not a disqualifying mistake. It's just annoying to read as a reviewer and if you had a great LOI it would possibly just knock you down to average for that particular section's screening score. How many people reviewed your letter as a double check and missed it?

About 3 people. Somehow we've all missed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if your whole package is fantastic, it would be a program's lost to reject you because of an extra "I"
forget about it, there is nothing you can change about it
focus on the upcoming opportunities you have, practice interviews, and show them who you are during on-site visit

Reactions: 1 user
Also, there's a good chance nobody will see the error. The reviewer(s) are most likely skimming over many many LOI's trying to pick out key words/high level mentions, not to mention multiple-page transcripts and even larger PHORCAS packets. Wouldn't sweat it at all

Skim. I skim. I am a typically a grammar fanatic but these applications are so bloated with every last detail....I skim.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent out about 10 applications couple days ago, but it was not until this morning that I noticed I've made a tiny grammatical mistake (extra "I") in one of the sentences that I used repeatedly. Will programs hold this mistake against me?

It should not. I did the same thing, was called for interview and got residency. The director sent a lovely email to me with a mistake in it too. People are human. Take a breath and don't worry. Despite all the ballyhooing about how perfect we all have to be, we aren't. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
We'll my CV got corrupt somehow (even though i viewed it at the time of upload and it looked fine from my end)

Luckily a program director pointed that out and i frantically emailed every single program about it. I honestly don't see an "I" killing your chances if everything else is constant.

Skim. I skim. I am a typically a grammar fanatic but these applications are so bloated with every last detail....I skim.
if i caught it - I would dock you 1 point out of 10 total for the letter. Honestly I wouldn't have caught it - I skim as well - 95% of the letters are fluff anyway - I just make sure you called us the correct hospital and are not looking for a PGY-2 in a field we don't even have

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry about it. I use LoRs and personal statements to get a quick look at whether the candidate and her supporters care enough to write a coherent passage. Minor technical errors, yeah, I feel like Dred where it is not 10 out of 10, but at worst 8 out of 10. Now, if the grammar and usage errors are such where I cannot comprehend what is being written, I seriously will dock the LoR for ambiguity.

"I fulfilled my hospital externship at St. Mark's with the geriatric care component scored as outstanding."

(Actual sentence with hospital name changed from this year's batch of statements which is grammatically correct, but ambiguous in meaning. Did this person score outstanding at St. Mark's or on the geriatric component specifically? Fulfilled has the same problem. Turns out it was both after calling the site. For grammar Nazis, this is why English writers should always avoid using multiple propositional indirect objects with a ditransitive verb form as the indirect reference could be either prepositional phrase.)

The minor exception is that I would have a problem with someone misspelling a drug name or dosage form, even long ones like latanoprost ophthalmic, because I feel that looking the term up for precise correctness is a pharmacist's job and should be instinctual at this point.

Last edited:
My philosophy on letters of intent:

I can fix grammar during your residency (and boy do most of you applicants need it...).

What I cannot fix your desire for a rotation or PGY-2 in xyz when we have no such program at my institution.

My philosophy on letters of intent:

I can fix grammar during your residency (and boy do most of you applicants need it...).

What I cannot fix your desire for a rotation or PGY-2 in xyz when we have no such program at my institution.

If the program does not offer a PGY2 at all, why lie about your real goals and not mention it? You can do your PGY1 there and your PGY2 somewhere else but I’d still mention it in my interest areas in the part where I talk about my career goals.