small intestine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikaStar

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
im working on a science fair project and was wondering if anyone in here knew the bacteria, fungi, or yeast that are commonly found in the samll intestine.
thanks
nikaStar

Members don't see this ad.

99% of the bacteria are E. coli. That doesn't leave a lot for anything else. The interesting thing is that, "among microbes, life destroys life" - in one person, some of the most virulent bacteria may be living in total peace with the other stuff, but, that person's bacteria in another person could kill that second person in a horrible way.

Clostridium difficile lives there, and lactobacillus species, along with bifidobacterium species. There's some Candida (yeast) spp. (species), and a lot of bacteria that are non-pathogenic. Still, the 99% of E. coli is the big winner.

Search on Google for "bacteria in GI tract", and you'll get more info than you could ever want.

thanks a bunch. i had researched online and all i found was a bunch of 20 ketter words. sure i want to be a doctor and so on but i dont know all those words yet. but thanks a ton
nikaStar

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Apollyon
99% of the bacteria are E. coli. That doesn't leave a lot for anything else. The interesting thing is that, "among microbes, life destroys life" - in one person, some of the most virulent bacteria may be living in total peace with the other stuff, but, that person's bacteria in another person could kill that second person in a horrible way.

Clostridium difficile lives there, and lactobacillus species, along with bifidobacterium species. There's some Candida (yeast) spp. (species), and a lot of bacteria that are non-pathogenic. Still, the 99% of E. coli is the big winner.

Search on Google for "bacteria in GI tract", and you'll get more info than you could ever want.

I thought bacteroides was the most common gut bacteria, not e. coli? Or am I just tired from starting nights again? I thought I remembered a student getting his ass ripped by a surgeon for answering "e. coli" to that question.

mike

Originally posted by mikecwru
I thought bacteroides was the most common gut bacteria, not e. coli? Or am I just tired from starting nights again? I thought I remembered a student getting his ass ripped by a surgeon for answering "e. coli" to that question.

mike

See, that's why you can't trust anything on the internet! I had my stats ALL messed up!

Here:

Escherichia coli is one of the many organisms that lives in the human gut. However, in spite of the media coverage it receives, it is a relatively minor component of the gut flora. Appoximately one third of all bacteria living in the intestine belong to the genera Bacteroides. These bacteria are anaerobic (they can't live in the presence of oxygen). Other common genera found in the gut include the Bifidobacteria, and Eubacteria. Like Bacteroides, these microbes are also anaerobes, but have a different cellular structure from the Bacteroides. E. coli differs from the above organisms in that it is a facultative anaerobe - it can live in the presence or absence of oxygen. In the adult intestine it comprises less than 1% of the total number of organisms.

So I should have said that 99% of gut flora ISN'T E. coli.

From http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec96/840131722.Dv.r.html

Wow...I haven't made an error that large in...wow...it's been...days!

Thanks for pointing out my screw-up!

Closing, Posted in multiple forums. Please see thread in pre-allo.

Status
Not open for further replies.