Smartwatch on residency interviews, yay/nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsunimomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had an apple watch for a while now that I wear in the clinic and hospital; it's super useful for two-step verification, responding to hospital pages/emails w/o fumbling on my phone. It's also super accepted at my institution. Among other things, I was wondering whether it would be acceptable to wear a smartwatch on interviews in general or whether I should stick to a more classic, analog timepiece.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think it matters. Just have a fly watchband and silence the thing so you aren't distracted

That would never fly where I trained. We all had these.

E3380D8B-12B4-4F89-93EE-E35A1A72406C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When it first came out I would have some reservations but now so many people have apple watches/other smartwatches I wouldn't think it's a problem. That being said you never know what somebody might think and do you really need the watch on for your interview day? I cannot think of a downside of you wearing an analog watch but a very slight possible downside if you wear an apple watch.

Reactions: 1 user
If you dont come in lugging one of these around

You drop to the lowest tier of rank order list.

Reactions: 4 users
I wore a smartwatch at a few interviews without any issues, and others did as well. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you already have an analog quartz/mechanical watch I’d wear that. It just looks more classic and way better with a suit.

If you don’t own an analog watch, then digital/smart watch it is and it won’t be an issue. Just set it to airplane mode without wifi so all it does is tell time.

Could you be any more anal about this process

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users