SMDEP: has anyone accepted or completed the program???

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey, guys!

I just wanted to ask you guys a quick question about the SMDEP program:

1.what on earth do they want you to write about the DIVERSITY essay? I'm pretty much clueless. are they asking me the importance of diversity, or how i'm diverse, or something else?? yeah, I'm just not exactly sure where to begin....
2. I wrote my personal statement..it pretty much states my experiences in a foreign country related to medicine, and I hint that I've had a leave of absense last semester, and how being in the hospital that time, really helped me to better realize I want to pursue medicine in the future.( though I feel like I have to state that since I have W's for that semester) Is that ok???

suggestions, much appreciated!!

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey, guys!

I just wanted to ask you guys a quick question about the SMDEP program:

1.what on earth do they want you to write about the DIVERSITY essay? I'm pretty much clueless. are they asking me the importance of diversity, or how i'm diverse, or something else?? yeah, I'm just not exactly sure where to begin....
2. I wrote my personal statement..it pretty much states my experiences in a foreign country related to medicine, and I hint that I've had a leave of absense last semester, and how being in the hospital that time, really helped me to better realize I want to pursue medicine in the future.( though I feel like I have to state that since I have W's for that semester) Is that ok???

suggestions, much appreciated!!

I did SMEP 3 years ago...great experience...I am not going to lie to you they prefer early applicants...but anyways I think they are trying to see how you understand diversity and how you bring diversity to whatever program there is

AJS27

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Which ones are you applying to? I wrote about how being a minority will help me give back to my community. Im goin to Nebraska and i cannnt wait!

About the Ads

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm applying to cali, uva, and maybe jersey/ or some other one.
--I'm not a minority (I'm Asian Indian) , and I'm not sure how my "diversity" would contribute, or how I'd bring diversity into the profession. Though, I definitely know that I want to serve urban areas, just because I used to live in the 'ghettos' and really understand health care related problems, however now I'm pretty comfortable (in terms of finances) and have since moved out into the suburbs.

ionou

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I don't think that you have to be URM to explain about your contribution to diversity. I mean, just because you're a specific race, it doesn't just automatically say that you contribute anything. I'm Korean and I got in to Duke. I wrote about disparities in healthcare, which is also mentioned as a topic on the smdep application for the diversity essay.

AMO69657

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I wrote about my trip to cambodia, my hopes for equal health care in cambodia & under served parts of the US, etc.....

i got accepted to houston and unmc...im goin to unmc (Nebraska) bc im from there anyway lol

polycon7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
SMDEP's foundation is to increase the number of physicians who are interested in working for the underserved. If you have experience in this, write about it. If not but you are interested, write about why you're interested in working in the inner-city or in global health, etc. This is really what they look for in what you can bring to the table. I did SMEP 2 years ago and recruited for Columbia's program for the last 2 years.

AJS27

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
hey AMO69657 ill be UNMC too! Im goin there for dentistry tho... ive never been to Nebraska before so im really excited!

muslimppl

Aug 15, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hi i was thinking about applying for the program for next summer. any advice? also do you guys know if the essay is the same for each year? and if so, what is the topic?
thanks

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2009
Hills of Westwood
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
as someone already mentioned, the goal of smdep is to encourage students to go into a field of medicine that treats the underserved. this is why the whole emphases on diversity.

i did it at uw a year ago, and no im not a minotiry, amazing experience!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.