SMDEP, how tough is it to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohohitsmagic08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm sorry if this was posted before, but I couldn't find anything on it. Does anyone have any admission statistics or know how difficult it is to get into an SMDEP program? I am planning to go next summer, so the application starts in November. I screwed up my first semester of freshman year, so if they only look at my first year GPA, it won't be great. Do they look at your GPA like dental schools where they include all classes (I took summer classes at a 4-year university at home where my dad works)? How competitive are these programs to get into?

Also, I know Louisville has a DAT program thats right after the SMDEP. Do any other programs offer anything like this? Which program did you attend and what did you think of it? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

very difficult. i applied early to three schools, like within a week of the application starting and was waitlisted at one which i was eventually accepted into. the program is amazing and looks VERY good on your application to dental school, especially when applying to the school you do SMDEP at.

work hard and turn in a stellar application and hopefully you will get it!

good luck

I attended the SMDEP UT-Houston site the first year the summer right after my freshman year. Although it is somewhat competitive, if you have a strong personal statement, LOR's, and a decent GPA (3.0 above) you definitely have a shot. In addition by calling the program sites you wish to attend you can get to know the adcoms.

You can PM me for specific questions.

I highly recommend you target program sites that are instate (at least one).

Members don't see this ad :)
I see.. well does anyone know how competitive each school is? I know UCLA is highly competitive. I really want to go to Columbia, but I bet its quite competitive there too. What do they base admissions on? Mostly GPA and statement?

This is just a hunch, but I think they take students who messed up in a class or two..

I recently completed the SMDEP program at Columbia this past summer. It actually just ended 3 days ago.
At Columbia, they stopped accepting applications towards the end because too many students were applying. It's definitely competitive so I suggest you apply as early as possible. The only thing you need to get from other people are the recommendations so as long as you have that covered in time, you should be good. Just don't be lazy with the essays and put it off until it's too late.

I can tell you from experience that I've had one of the best summers in my life. From clinical experience to shadowing to classes and networking (and other social events outside academics), I don't regret participating in the program in any way. Not only that, you receive stipends that you can use at your own leisure over the 6 weeks.

I hope that helped. Feel to ask any additional questions.

Last edited:
I applied to UCLA, Columbia, Nebraska in mid January. My GPA is 4.0 (granted, I'm only a freshman). I only got into Nebraska

Wow! So are admissions mostly reliant on your recommendation letters and personal statement? They dont look too much at college grades?

Wow, I heard that the dental class for SMDEPs often don't fill up so they have to extend the deadline to get more applicants, but I guess it's not true if they are this competitive..:mad:

Howdy Yall,

I was an SMDEP participant at UNMCS dental school and it was an AWESOME program!! The connections and experiences are def worth the hassle of the application process!!:D I would def suggest putting in an application, and just crossing your fingers!!:laugh:

Wow, I heard that the dental class for SMDEPs often don't fill up so they have to extend the deadline to get more applicants, but I guess it's not true if they are this competitive..:mad:

I've heard the same but I'm not sure how many years ago that was. I wouldn't bet on that thought if I were you.
Get your requirements ready to be sent as soon as possible and definitely apply before January.

Hello, I was reading about smdep and I am really interested in it but I also didn't do so well in my freshman year (3.3 gpa) and this coming sophomore year I will be taking organic chem and cell bio (along with English,history and comm which aren't so hard), and I'm not sure whether or not if I should apply early because I don't want to risk the chance of my gpa lowering (not that I plan on it). So do I have a chance? Should I apply early or wait?

question for Hopeful20:
i really want to get into the columbia SMDEP, just to get a better sense. how was ur GPA and what else did u submit to them. do they want u to write a personal statement???

I applied to 3 schools and was accepted to all of them, went to UCLA last summer, it was a great experience. It is definitely competitive, I think I remember the director saying they got about 400 applicants for 80th spots.
The GPA is not the only thing they look, I did not have it stellar.

I participated in SMDEP at Louisville this previous summer. It was a great experience. I didn't have that great of a GPA freshman year (about a 3.4). I didn't wait for my Fall grades to come before sending my app. I submitted on the day it opened and sent in my transcripts shortly after. They never asked for my fall grades or anything like that, although they said I was free to update if I felt like it. I was accepted to Louisville and accepted their offer before finding out about Nebraska and Case (the other two I applied to) as I knew I wanted to go to Louisville.

About the DAT/MCAT prep (from what I've heard). It is for In-state students only, and by the time our smdep prog started on 5/31 it was full and I know people that are already looking to apply for next summer's, so if you are a KY resident and want to go to Louisville's SMDEP I would suggest contacting their office asap about it.

I strongly suggest everyone apply to SMDEP as it is a GREAT program and I feel like it prepares you so well. Also, I know Louisville gives you 3 credits worth of class with grades and I know most of the people in my class got A's due to how well they prepared us for the material.

One reason why it might seem so competitive for dental students is that I believe most sites generally have more med students than dent (ours was 60 med, 20 dent).

So what should I get before the application even comes out?

-rec letters?
-high school transcript?