SMDEP selection process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what criteria they look for when selecting candidates?

alsoo is your priority determeined by when ur application is submitted or when all your documents are turend in?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the priority is given to those who turn all thier documents in.

I was accepted at the Washington site. The day after I was verified (LORS/TRANSCRIPTS were received)

how important are LORS versus sending it in early?

Members don't see this ad :)
how important are LORS versus sending it in early?

I think sending it early is a big deal.
The quality/quanity of LORS in a sense depend on the quality of your GPA and Personal Statements.

Your grades, extra-curricular, turning your application in on time and how strong your LOR is.

i really want to get into this program but i'm confused about the selection process. i read somewhere that they want people who won't have that great of a chance of getting into med school, etc. so i dont know how much effort i should put into my personal statements or if i should get a lor from my boss who happens to be a dentist....

i really want to get into this program but i'm confused about the selection process. i read somewhere that they want people who won't have that great of a chance of getting into med school, etc. so i dont know how much effort i should put into my personal statements or if i should get a lor from my boss who happens to be a dentist....

this is not true at all, I went to the yale program and I meet plenty of students who were 4.0s and tons of ECs, we also had the chance to see students at the columbia site and there were many students who were more than capable of getting into medical school, many of which who are accepted now actually. I would def take this program seriously because you have a great chance to network with many important. I am accepted at yale actually and the smdep program was a main discussion point.

I definitely think timing is very important - the earlier the better. I applied last year with what I think are pretty good stats (3.96 GPA, 1.5 years research, good LORs), but I was rejected from yale and columbia and not even looked at at Duke. Granted, I'm not URM, but still, I believe my late timing - I sent my app I think in early March - was not at all helpful, but this is just speculation. I wish you the best of luck. From most people I've heard only good things about the program. Give us your feedback when and if you end up at an SMDEP site.

def for URMs and disadvantaged individuals but i know plenty of ppl who werent tho

ahhhh this is driving me nuts... I wish it was tom already so I could ask my prof for LORS.

Do you guys know if a lot of Asian students participate in the program? I am not sure if their parents would let them go. I hope I get in because there are a lot of Asian pre-med students and I don't want to get lost in the group.

SMDEP seems to be primarily geared towards minorities, hence why I didn't even bother applying. The application seems to have a lot of questions concerning socieconomic background, which wouldn't look favorable for me since I'm upper class and white.

Regardless, looks like a great program.

The earlier the better.

I submitted 1/2/08

Washington 1/3/08
Columbia 1/7/08
Nebraska pending

If I hear from Nebraska tommorow. Than it is defintely on a "first come, first served" bases.

This is really exciting!

Good Luck to all

PM if you want to see my stats.

techmed, what were your sats, etc if you dont mind? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
they are!! now i've lost all hope

It is really a great program...back when I participated it was called the "MMEP"

I actually used one of my experiences from this program in my primary statement

good luck y'all

smdep is definitely geared toward under represented minorities, but it isn't a hard and fast rule. i got in to the UNMC program last year, and there is nothing in my background that qualifies as under represented.

and, yeah, i'm pretty sure they do have a rolling admissions procedure

ahhhh this is driving me nuts... I wish it was tom already so I could ask my prof for LORS.

Do you guys know if a lot of Asian students participate in the program? I am not sure if their parents would let them go. I hope I get in because there are a lot of Asian pre-med students and I don't want to get lost in the group.

last year at UNMC there were quite a few asian students. in fact, i shared a suite with 3 of them.

i'm so lost as to what to write for the personal statements. how are the recommendation letter formatted?

so i submitted my application on the 1st. requested transcripts last week and sent letters of rec also last week all except one. on the smdep site it still says htey havent recieved anyhting. should i be concerned?

no, you don't need to be worried. it took them at least two weeks last year before the site said my stuff had been received, they're just kinda slow.

last year at UNMC there were quite a few asian students. in fact, i shared a suite with 3 of them.

Would they classify middle eastern in another category. I don't know I just can't imagine a lot of Muslim parents letting their kids specially girls go. My parents are freaking out. Actually my mom is freaking out, but my dad does not even know yet because she said to tell him one week before I leave :laugh:

Would they classify middle eastern in another category. I don't know I just can't imagine a lot of Muslim parents letting their kids specially girls go. My parents are freaking out. Actually my mom is freaking out, but my dad does not even know yet because she said to tell him one week before I leave :laugh:

I know what you mean by that, Pak. My parents are the same way. Just tell them that SMDEP is required to get into medical school. If they're foreign-born, they'll never know the difference.

I know what you mean by that, Pak. My parents are the same way. Just tell them that SMDEP is required to get into medical school. If they're foreign-born, they'll never know the difference.

lol Good one! :thumbup: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

they are!! now i've lost all hope

haha yeah right, I wish I could go to any school in California!
By the way, I do have few ECs' as well. But I believe that because my application was turned in relatively early was the reason I was accepted at some of my top choices.

Which site do you all think is the best?

I think Texas would be very intrested. Rice dorms are soo nice I wish it was held by UTSW though.

how do u kno when they're gonna reply to u?
since u said u find out about nebraska the next day, how do u kno?
im anxiously waiting for any type of answer from them