Smdep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

directdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone here participated in the SMDEP summer program.

If so, how long did it take you to recieve a acceptance/rejection from the sites? And did you apply early or around this time (because I know they are on rolling admission)?

Also, what kind of stats did you have.. high GPA, lots of extracurriculars, minority/not minority, etc? Because I know they lean more towards minorities and I'm not really considered a minority. All my other things are pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! Just wondering if anyone here participated in the SMDEP summer program.

If so, how long did it take you to recieve a acceptance/rejection from the sites? And did you apply early or around this time (because I know they are on rolling admission)?

Also, what kind of stats did you have.. high GPA, lots of extracurriculars, minority/not minority, etc? Because I know they lean more towards minorities and I'm not really considered a minority. All my other things are pretty good.

There's been a couple of threads about this in the past. The search button might help.

I remember reading a thread not too long ago about a guy being rejecting for being too "overqualified" for SMDEP, so I think they're really looking to give a boost to those who may not otherwise have a chance. Pure speculation though.

Minority status would help; but I assume you applied with a disadvantaged background?

Minority status would help; but I assume you applied with a disadvantaged background?

I guess the only disadvantage I would have is being a first generation student...if thats considered a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the only disadvantage I would have is being a first generation student...if thats considered a disadvantage.

Well, I'm considering applying too (for the following year) and when I glanced at their app, they had several questions asking about any disadvantages I've faced in my life (q's about the income level of my family, whether or not my family ever received federal/state assistance, if where I lived had limited access to healthcare and education, etc) so I definitely do believe they would weigh your answers to these questions considerably.

Oh, I was just on their website now and found an answer to one of your questions. Updating:

Sites should notify an applicant of their admission decision (actions) within 10 business days of receipt of the completed application. Admission actions will be submitted online and will be instantly viewable to the applicant and other sites designated by the applicant.

There is this other student applying who posts on SDN.

I did the program the first year they changed it from the MINORITY medical education program to the SUMMER medical education program.
I am not a minority and not disadvantaged. There were people from every background you can possibly think of. If you have any questions, let me know!

when filling out the application and it asks major and minors. if i plan on pursuing a public service minor should i put that on there or does it have to be declared by the school? thanks

Would language problems be considered disadvantage? When I first moved here I did not know any english at all and I had to learn it in 8th grade... Which sucked because thats why I did not do so well in high school.

hey there! i took part in the program last year. it took the first school 2 weeks to get back to me, after everything was in. but i had to call up one of the schools which was my first choice. But apply early!!!
it was the best medical preparation i have had so far in my college career.

i went the summer of 06 to the columbia program. i applied around this time and it took 1 week for me to hear from my first acceptance, 2 weeks to hear from the 2nd, and columbia took forever, but i waited for them. i am a minority, but there were all kinds of people in my program so don't let that shy you away from applying. i'm an smdep ambassador, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.