Smile care club can't be good for Ortho or anyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DREDAY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously businesses are catching on. You want straighter teeth? You don't even have to leave your house! Just mail in your impressions and pictures and you can put on your braces yourself!

I think it cheapens the profession. Even if they are only doing simple cases, I would hate to be an Ortho especially if this catches steam and there are copy cats. It's the first that I have heard of this.

https://smilecareclub.com

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously businesses are catching on. You want straighter teeth? You don't even have to leave your house! Just mail in your impressions and pictures and you can put on your braces yourself!

I think it cheapens the profession. Even if they are only doing simple cases, I would hate to be an Ortho especially if this catches steam and there are copy cats. It's the first that I have heard of this.

What's malpractice like for dentists? As a med student, I'd be terrified because there is no real working "doctor-patient" relationship, which could get you your license revoked. Is this the case for dentists also?

Yes, it's another reason ortho continues to nose dive into oblivion. Corporations think that we are now just oversee-ers of their product. The only reason people apply to ortho is because of the dream and idealization they had when they were kids. Orthos doing basically no work and making tons of money. I'm telling you it's a different world out there now. If an honest salary survery was done for orthos taking into account all the young orthos it would probably be about ~150k, but if you take the older established ones out I wouldn't be surprised if it's just ~100k. I would also GUARANTEE general dentist salaries were higher on average now than orthos.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think SCC will actually help orthodontists. Right now the corporations and GPs think that we do nothing and have no skills. Slowly, they've conspired to eliminate the orthodontist because he/she is inconvenient to their money making operation. The corporations are actually pimping the GPs because they don't really understand how little they are making off of Ortho procedures.
SCC has a price point of $700-1200 and they will finance. This destroys the entire GP Invisalign market. The only reason that a patient sees a GP for Invisalign is cost & convenience. SCC wins big in both departments by a great margin. Most patients will learn that they hate clear aligners or the need professional help once they've tried them. Where do you think they will go once they've failed with SCC? To a real professional that understands how to move teeth.
So I look forward to SCC and the copycats destroying the GP Invisalign market and allowing me to showcase my skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm a customer of Smile Direct Club and wrote a review on my experience. I'm currently on tray 11 of 16 and am very happy with my results. My local dentist was impressed with my progress when I went for my 6 month cleaning. Certain cases I'm sure braces or Invisalign are the better option but this does work for some. I had very crowded teeth when I first started.
Your results are terrible.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a customer of Smile Direct Club and wrote a review on my experience. I'm currently on tray 11 of 16 and am very happy with my results. My local dentist was impressed with my progress when I went for my 6 month cleaning. Certain cases I'm sure braces or Invisalign are the better option but this does work for some. I had very crowded teeth when I first started.

You still have crowded teeth. If you're almost 70% done on the trays, that's terrible.

I have no comment regarding your results that others are commenting on, maybe it looks better from a different angle? But the tone of your review sounded so glowing I suspect it's a paid promotion. Or at the very least it doesn't sound like it was authored by someone who is a dental student or dentist (that's why you're in this forum right? Otherwise how are you here) I would be alarmed to read someone in the dental field getting excited that people can do ortho treatment "without ever having to see an orthodontist."

For example, the part when you praise how SDC never rejects anyone because of their teeth... red flags go up. Invisalign has limited indications compared to conventional braces, and SDC is basically a weaker form of Invlisagn. There should be a relatively narrow set of patients who should qualify for SDC.... in fact looking at your teeth I'm not sure if you could straighten your lower anterior completely without enamloplasty. After all where will be the space coming from?

Reactions: 1 user
I have no comment regarding your results that others are commenting on, maybe it looks better from a different angle? But the tone of your review sounded so glowing I suspect it's a paid promotion. Or at the very least it doesn't sound like it was authored by someone who is a dental student or dentist (that's why you're in this forum right? Otherwise how are you here) I would be alarmed to read someone in the dental field getting excited that people can do ortho treatment "without ever having to see an orthodontist."

For example, the part when you praise how SDC never rejects anyone because of their teeth... red flags go up. Invisalign has limited indications compared to conventional braces, and SDC is basically a weaker form of Invlisagn. There should be a relatively narrow set of patients who should qualify for SDC.... in fact looking at your teeth I'm not sure if you could straighten your lower anterior completely without enamloplasty. After all where will be the space coming from?
Gotta commend your BS sensor's sensibility.

Reactions: 1 user