Smile Direct Club Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lynette

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some feedback on the way Smile Direct Club operates.

According to the company, patient cases are reviewed by a licensed dentist or orthodontist in their state. (They call them Endorsed Local Providers.) In actuality, I know they have a number of dentists and orthodontists licensed in multiple states they've probably never set one foot into.

The company says they closely monitor their patients throughout their aligner treatment. How is this achieved when there is absolutely no communication or relationship between the dentist and the patient? If a dentist's involvement is limited to approving a course of treatment so Smile Direct Club can sell a product to a patient, the likelihood of being accused of patient abandonment if and when things go wrong appears to be a real risk.

If states require licensees involved in teledentistry to comply with laws as if the services were provided in person, how can dentists who work with Smile Direct Club possibly comply?

Members don't see this ad.

All good legal questions. Trying to figure out the motive behind your curiosity. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will provide some answers. I'm somewhat curious myself.