Smoke & Mirrors at Idaho Com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wjldenver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
"Look how cool we are we have 78 residency positions! Oh they were denied by ACGME to be a sponsoring institution? I don't care we will have 78 residency positions!!"

:eyebrow:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically the program can neither claim local residencies nor sufficient rotation sites. I doubt COCA is going to suddenly decide that they should approve this school.
Good on COCA for rejecting them.

If the Governor of Idado really cared, he'd just campaign to invest heavily in a state MD or DO school with a class size of 50 to 75 students. I don't understand the need to recruit a for-profit school.

Reactions: 7 users
"College Dean Robert Hasty, meanwhile, said he is confident Benefis will win accreditation for the residencies by the time the college’s first class of students graduates in 2022."

So they expect to get the pre-accreditation by this April and recruit students before setting up those residencies-- this is gonna be quite the show.

"College Dean Robert Hasty, meanwhile, said he is confident Benefis will win accreditation for the residencies by the time the college’s first class of students graduates in 2022."

So they expect to get the pre-accreditation by this April and recruit students before setting up those residencies-- this is gonna be quite the show.
So they want 5 years to get 76 approved ACGME spots when the first class graduates. So that first class will not actually be able to serve in that area since when "they graduate" they have already matched!

L

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Well, on the bright side, so much for "COCA has never denied accreditation."

I do wonder why Benefis was denied institutional accreditation. They have the biggest hospital in Montana.

I do wonder why Benefis was denied institutional accreditation. They have the biggest hospital in Montana.

I'm going to say not enough pathology or patients? I mean Montana has less ppl than the metro I currently live in despite being the 4th largest state in the country.
There's a reason why WWAI exists. The resources and population in those states is very lacking.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to say not enough pathology or patients? I mean Montana has less ppl than the metro I currently live in despite being the 4th largest state in the country.
There's a reason why WWAI exists. The resources and population in those states is very lacking.
Fun fact: There are more cows than people in Montana!

That might be true but small downs like Vermillion, SD manage to have medical schools with multiple residency programs so IDK.

That might be true but small downs like Vermillion, SD manage to have medical schools with multiple residency programs so IDK.

That is interesting and true. Am wondering if it has also something to do with the overall combination of dedicated faculty to teach, connection and communication to the school, pathology, patient volume as well as ability to pursue scholarly activity. Maybe it's a small hospital where there's just not enough resources for 76 slots.

It should also be pointed out that 76 spots refers to 25-26 PGY1 positions (maybe even less, unless a bunch are TYs/pre-lim yrs - in which case that's still nothing to be proud of). How big is the inaugural class going to be? 100? 162? Its a drop in the bucket even if they do get those spots.

This is pretty commonplace to start the school before the residency, but ideally some of the residencies would be open and accepting residents by the inaugural class's 3rd year in med school, so that students may benefit from rotations in an (albeit new) academic setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
It should also be pointed out that 76 spots refers to 25-26 PGY1 positions (maybe even less unless a bunch are TYs/pre-lim yrs - in which case that's still nothing to be proud of). How big is the inaugural class going to be? 100? 162? Its a drop in the bucket even if they do get those spots.

How dare you question ICOM? Clearly these residency spots that don't exist will do wonders for the local communities and students not from Idaho.

Reactions: 4 users
How dare you question ICOM? Clearly these residency spots that don't exist will do wonders for the local communities and students not from Idaho.
The major clinical affiliate in Montana will definitely help Idaho.

It's very unsettling that so many schools are opening up while the merger is still happening. Based on my research on it, there are still quote a few unknowns. It seems very short-sighted.

It's very unsettling that so many schools are opening up while the merger is still happening. Based on my research on it, there are still quote a few unknowns. It seems very short-sighted.

Which is why if I were a senior undergraduate student, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to matriculate MD. Hell, even if it means retaking a few classes, publishing, retaking the MCAT, whatever. You are much safer to do that than to matriculate DO, especially at one of the newer expansion schools.

You should also try to organize and put pressure on administrators and the leaders in the DO world. I can't stand the *****ic OMS-1 and OMS-2 students who post pictures of themselves at these national conferences, standing next to the AOA symbol. If they cared about the profession, they would highlight the legitimate concerns of this massive expansion during such uncertain times rather than blindly follow the AOA in anything that they do.

Can't tell you how happy I am to be graduating.

Which is why if I were a senior undergraduate student, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to matriculate MD. Hell, even if it means retaking a few classes, publishing, retaking the MCAT, whatever. You are much safer to do that than to matriculate DO, especially at one of the newer expansion schools.

You should also try to organize and put pressure on administrators and the leaders in the DO world. I can't stand the *****ic OMS-1 and OMS-2 students who post pictures of themselves at these national conferences, standing next to the AOA symbol. If they cared about the profession, they would highlight the legitimate concerns of this massive expansion during such uncertain times rather than blindly follow the AOA in anything that they do.

Eh I think the doom and gloom of DO is a bit exaggerated in your post. Talk to any graduate of MSUCOM, OUHCOM, OSUCOM, PCOM, etc. and they would disagree with you. Of course there are a number of limitations that go along with being DO pre-residency, but after that you're on your own regardless of MD or DO. As for the AOA, yes we are all frustrated with it. Why you're expecting OMS-1/2 students to stop everything and "put pressure" on the AOA is beyond me. That is a job for faculty and state legislatures. Blaming students for trying to get ahead in their careers is misguided imo.

No one is blindly following the AOA, there is a lot of dissent, but this isn't exactly a democracy. I'm only beginning to understand the medical world in this country, but it seems to me a lot of terrible decisions by administration can be narrowed down to one thing: $$$$$$$. To fight that takes a lot more than rowdy students....

Eh I think the doom and gloom of DO is a bit exaggerated in your post. Talk to any graduate of MSUCOM, OUHCOM, OSUCOM, PCOM, etc. and they would disagree with you. Of course there are a number of limitations that go along with being DO pre-residency, but after that you're on your own regardless of MD or DO. As for the AOA, yes we are all frustrated with it. Why you're expecting OMS-1/2 students to stop everything and "put pressure" on the AOA is beyond me. That is a job for faculty and state legislatures. Blaming students for trying to get ahead in their careers is misguided imo.

No one is blindly following the AOA, there is a lot of dissent, but this isn't exactly a democracy. I'm only beginning to understand the medical world in this country, but it seems to me a lot of terrible decisions by administration can be narrowed down to one thing: $$$$$$$. To fight that takes a lot more than rowdy students....

LOL. You're just accepted, right? Key word in your post is, GRADUATE. You just barely matriculated. There are so many intricacies that go into successfully matching, especially if you are pursuing a competitive ACGME specialty, which will become more difficult with the merger. It is funny that you reference those schools and don't mention schools like Nova, DMU, AZ-com, Western, and KC-UMB. They have just as impressive if not more impressive matches than the schools you mentioned.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but you have NO IDEA as to the discrimination and disadvantage that you face being from a DO school due to, usually, substandard clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th year. In addition, It is a disadvantage to have to take two sets of boards, to have a profession that prides itself of "cranial" osteopathy, to be a part of a profession that, despite knowing the massive bottleneck effect of GME funding and residency spots continues to deliberatlely undermine current and future prospective students by opening up these substandard DO schools and promising it's students residencies that don't exists (see Idaho post), among other things. To be at grand rounds at a teaching hospital and have one of the DO attendings reference an article from 1993 as evidence for the use of rib raising and it showing no significant difference vs the use of incentive spirometry in preventing post-op PNA. This is comical to people at respectable institutions who pride themselves on the practice of up-to-date, evidence based medicine. No, I am not bashing all DO's or OMM even for that matter, I am just pointing out that the doom and gloom is real and doesn't go away just because some graduate from PCOM told you, an undergraduate student, otherwise.

I'm not asking you to contact the AOA or sign a petition. You completely misunderstood the entirety of my post. What I am saying is that you're at a disadvantage and all of these schools popping up who will accept anyone willing to take out 300K in loans to become a primary care doctor waters down the DO degree and adds to decreasing albeit still apparent bias that exists in the medical community. Sadly, the AOA, COCA, and the private investors of these schools could care less because at the end of the day its all about the $$$$ (the one thing you mentioned correctly), and you're the one taking out the massive loan.

This school will be approved by COCA and Dr. Hasty is planning on opening in 2018. Temporary delays by COCA to dot all the i's are not uncommon. What I have not seen is any evidence of a school that was ultimately blocked by COCA.
Please cite a school that was ultimately blocked by COCA.
Here are examples from House of Delegate Reports:
one request for substantive change – additional location - for New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine in Jonesboro, Ark., was reviewed and denied.
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Parker, Colo.) - - additional location in Cedar City, Utah - denied;
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...reditation/Documents/coca-hod-report-2015.pdf

One request for substantive change – branch campus - was reviewed and denied for Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Blacksburg, Va.)
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...reditation/Documents/coca-hod-report-2014.pdf

One request for substantive change – additional location and class size increase was reviewed and denied for the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (New York, NY) to have been located in Middletown, NY.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...reditation/Documents/coca-hod-report-2012.pdf

So from what I can tell the net result of these denials were:
NYIT Jonesboro
RVU Ivins (I do not think that RVU changing from Cedar City UT to Ivins UT is a "block")
VCOM Auburn
Touro Middletown

Here is from the 2016 report:
One request for substantive change – additional location and class size increase was reviewed and denied for Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, PA) – additional location in Elmira, NY.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/COM-accreditation/Documents/COCA HOD Report 2016.pdf

Do you really think that LECOM Elmira will ultimately be blocked by COCA?

Last edited:
LOL. You're just accepted, right? Key word in your post is, GRADUATE. You just barely matriculated. There are so many intricacies that go into successfully matching, especially if you are pursuing a competitive ACGME specialty, which will become more difficult with the merger. It is funny that you reference those schools and don't mention schools like Nova, DMU, AZ-com, Western, and KC-UMB. They have just as impressive if not more impressive matches than the schools you mentioned.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but you have NO IDEA as to the discrimination and disadvantage that you face being from a DO school due to, usually, substandard clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th year. In addition, It is a disadvantage to have to take two sets of boards, to have a profession that prides itself of "cranial" osteopathy, to be a part of a profession that, despite knowing the massive bottleneck effect of GME funding and residency spots continues to deliberatlely undermine current and future prospective students by opening up these substandard DO schools and promising it's students residencies that don't exists (see Idaho post), among other things. To be at grand rounds at a teaching hospital and have one of the DO attendings reference an article from 1993 as evidence for the use of rib raising and it showing no significant difference vs the use of incentive spirometry in preventing post-op PNA. This is comical to people at respectable institutions who pride themselves on the practice of up-to-date, evidence based medicine. No, I am not bashing all DO's or OMM even for that matter, I am just pointing out that the doom and gloom is real and doesn't go away just because some graduate from PCOM told you, an undergraduate student, otherwise.

I'm not asking you to contact the AOA or sign a petition. You completely misunderstood the entirety of my post. What I am saying is that you're at a disadvantage and all of these schools popping up who will accept anyone willing to take out 300K in loans to become a primary care doctor waters down the DO degree and adds to decreasing albeit still apparent bias that exists in the medical community. Sadly, the AOA, COCA, and the private investors of these schools could care less because at the end of the day its all about the $$$$ (the one thing you mentioned correctly), and you're the one taking out the massive loan.

For the past 5 years, between 44% to 53% of the entire DO pool went on to ACGME residence, so I'm sorry if I don't buy your argument. I admitted pre-residency there are obstacles to get over, but it's incredibly common for a DO at established schools to get ACGME residencies. I don't know how else to convince you of this, but see the match data for yourself (available at both ACGME and AOA websites, school match lists, etc). I mentioned the schools I mentioned to provide examples, not an exhaustive list of good DO schools, but yes all those schools are great too and you are reinforcing my point. Stop being pedantic.

And again, COMPLETELY agree with you about the new DO schools. It is a source of frustration on the osteo sub forums. Like I said in my post, again with you reinforcing it, it all does come down to $$ but that's been true since the beginning of time in this country. Sorry I don't share your doom and gloom attitude. IF all the DO physicians that I personally talked to had cautioned me about the degree, believe me, I would not have gone DO. But I took all the data I collected and made a decision that was right for me.

And just to end this, again I'm agreeing with you, competitive specialties aren't going to be open to us DOs in the future. I'm not matching into Top 10 programs. Neither are low- mid-tier MDs. It's not the route I personally want to take.

Last edited:
I'm not matching into Top 10 programs. Neither are low- mid-tier MDs. It's not the route I personally want to take.

Just to clarify. The idea that no low tier or mid tier MDs are going to top 10 programs is a bit of a generalization. There are in fact MDs coming from low and mid tier MDs going to the very best programs.

As an example: the orthopedic program at the hospital for special surgery (considered to be one of the very top programs) has MDs graduating from UC Irvine, New York Medical College, and Howard University.

IM at Mans Greatest Hospital (Harvard Affiliate) has MD grads from UC Davis, Texas Tech, and USF Morsani.

Just to clarify. The idea that no low tier or mid tier MDs are going to top 10 programs is a bit of a generalization. There are in fact MDs coming from low and mid tier MDs going to the very best programs.

As an example: the orthopedic program at the hospital for special surgery (considered to be one of the very top programs) has MDs graduating from UC Irvine, New York Medical College, and Howard University.

IM at Mans Greatest Hospital (Harvard Affiliate) has MD grads from UC Davis, Texas Tech, and USF Morsani.

I concede it was a generalization, there can be exceptions to the rule found everywhere, even with DOs (UPENN just got their first DO from PCOM, for example)

I concede it was a generalization, there can be exceptions to the rule found everywhere, even with DOs (UPENN just got their first DO from PCOM, for example)
True, but I think we can both agree that the likelihood of a MD graduate from a low or mid tier going to a top tier residency program is much higher than that of the best DO coming from the best DO school.

True, but I think we can both agree that the likelihood of a MD graduate from a low or mid tier going to a top tier residency program is much higher than that of the best DO coming from the best DO school.

100%. My gripe is with the 'doom and gloom' so rampant on SDN.

SDN over exxagarates issue to point where it becomes useless to even discuss

For the past 5 years, between 44% to 53% of the entire DO pool went on to ACGME residence, so I'm sorry if I don't buy your argument. I admitted pre-residency there are obstacles to get over, but it's incredibly common for a DO at established schools to get ACGME residencies. I don't know how else to convince you of this, but see the match data for yourself (available at both ACGME and AOA websites, school match lists, etc). I mentioned the schools I mentioned to provide examples, not an exhaustive list of good DO schools, but yes all those schools are great too and you are reinforcing my point. Stop being pedantic.

And again, COMPLETELY agree with you about the new DO schools. It is a source of frustration on the osteo sub forums. Like I said in my post, again with you reinforcing it, it all does come down to $$ but that's been true since the beginning of time in this country. Sorry I don't share your doom and gloom attitude. IF all the DO physicians that I personally talked to had cautioned me about the degree, believe me, I would not have gone DO. But I took all the data I collected and made a decision that was right for me.

And just to end this, again I'm agreeing with you, competitive specialties aren't going to be open to us DOs in the future. I'm not matching into Top 10 programs. Neither are low- mid-tier MDs. It's not the route I personally want to take.

I would say that we are pretty much in agreement then. I didn't say it was impossible to match ACGME. I applied only to ACGME programs and the same goes for a good chunk of my class. I am just saying that I see this getting more difficult in the future, but not impossible.

LOL OMS-2 here. Feel the same way. However, I certainly don't want to be the black sheep of the group, start echoing these concerns, and be branded as a troublemaker.

Got to laid low, pay my dues, and get to an ACGME residency.

Those students do their clinicals and residencies in Sioux Falls, not Vermillion. They may do some rural stuff in Vermillion, but Sioux Falls is the academic hospital in the state.

As for MD versus DO, the path is harder as a DO if you want an ACGME residency. Can you do it? Absolutely, especially for the specialties that aren't that competitive. I got my top choice residency and top choice fellowship, one at a very respected place and one at one of the top places in the country. I didn't take the USMLE either. I worked very hard and proved myself. It's not impossible by any means.

Wow, so the state plans on ramping up funding to double the number of residency spots in the state? That's incredible. Finally someone comes up with a real solution to a doctor shortage.

I hope ICOM gets involved in helping organize them. Forging strong ties to local hospitals so that it's students will have strong, local rotation spots and some semblance of "home programs"

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Community IM and FM here we come Woot Woot!

Any DO matching into a competitive specialty at a top tier program is doing it through massive networking and massive connections. There is simply no other way. You can believe what you want and have optimistic hopes, but please don't paint an unrealistic picture for people who are deciding between MD and DO schools. You are quite possibly ruining their future.

Any DO matching into a competitive specialty at a top tier program is doing it through massive networking and massive connections. There is simply no other way. You can believe what you want and have optimistic hopes, but please don't paint an unrealistic picture for people who are deciding between MD and DO schools. You are quite possibly ruining their future.

Dude, you're not even a medical student yet. You really think you have place to talk with such authority about the match? Stop being a tool.

Reactions: 8 users
is doing it through massive networking and massive connections.

Lol, I can literally tell you that your wrong. Does it happen? Sure, but not as often as SDN would have you believe. Often the DOs that match great programs in competitive specialties simply have the cajones to try.

Thankfully Idaho has some great communities. Not that I'm biased. ;)
I like Idaho too, its a great state. The Mountain West is a beautiful place IMO.

Lol, I can literally tell you that your wrong. Does it happen? Sure, but not as often as SDN would have you believe. Often the DOs that match great programs in competitive specialties simply have the cajones to try.

I am telling you what has been told to my face from several PDs and residents/fellows involved in resident selection in ultra competitive specialties at several top hospitals. I have several friends in several specialties who are involved in this process. I trust their judgment more than SDN.

I am telling you what has been told to my face from several PDs and residents/fellows involved in resident selection in ultra competitive specialties at several top hospitals. I have several friends in several specialties who are involved in this process. I trust their judgment more than SDN.
Shh let him dream

You've said this several times, but the problem is the context of your information. They are saying this in terms of MD students who are apart of medical schools with attached residency programs. These programs will call up other residencies up and help open doors. DO schools don't have those same level of connections, heck they don't have nearly the same level of residency programs. While it may help having connections, but not at the level of MGH or the likes. The DO who matched at these places had the full academic package.

Shh let him dream

Would you like me to tell you the exact CVs of some of these “super DO matches?” SDN likes to spout out how any DO that matches a competitive specialty at a good program must be the PD’s offspring and have a 270, and I know for a fact that isn’t true. I literally know the CV of more than a handful of those matches and none of them had any sort of “connections.” I’ll give you the networking but that’s important in any field at any level.

The DO who matched at these places had the full academic package.

Of course. On top of that, heavy connections and networking to get in (networking/connections - same thing). I'm not talking about connections in the form of being the son of the PD. I'm talking about influential faculty vouching for you at top programs that otherwise would have thrown your application in the trash along with every other DO's application. They don't want you, and they won't touch you until someone influential asks them to. That's just how it works, whether you want to believe it for the sake of your own satisfaction or not. Even a lot of the MDs from top schools are heavily networked and connected a lot of times to the super competitive programs they match to. That's how the game is played, and you better learn the rules now rather than during match time. I even spoke to several fourth year MD students from Harvard while they were rotating through our department and they said that even with their 260s and first author research publications, they were not having high hopes about matching into that particular program due to not having the appropriate level of networking and connections to the program, something that they regretted heavily.

The problem with a lot of people here is that they've never spoken to a PD in any field, let alone at top programs in ultra competitive specialties. I have. I worked closely with faculty involved in this process. But, SDN will keep talking about these anecdotal stories and point to some guy that knew some guy in the residency forums who matched in some program that was awesome. Good for him. You don't know the full story, though.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with ICOM?

Reactions: 3 users
But, SDN will keep talking about these anecdotal stories and point to some guy that knew some guy in the residency forums who matched in some program that was awesome.
Isnt this exactly what you are doing in your posts...?

Isnt this exactly what you are doing in your posts...?

No, I'm telling you information directly from PDs and residency selection people at several elite programs. What the others are doing is saying "I know so and so and he had a cool CV and that's why he matched." That isn't how this works. I know they need their "last word" comment, so I'm not going to bother replying anymore on this subject here.

Anyway, I agree that the board should have put a stop to the opening of new schools until the merger is completed and we have some sort of insight as to how the match goes. Why is there a need to open up so many DO schools so quickly?

Maybe but from my own anecdotal experience of applying this cycle, I interviewed to one top program (that has never taken any DOs in their program) without having any connection with them. I am not even from the same coast.