Smoking age is 21 in 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not in the hospital. And definitely not against their will.
On your property you have the natural right to refuse anything you want. If you want to smoke, walk out AMA. If you are there involuntarily, too bad. You can smoke again when you regain your faculties and leave

Reactions: 1 user
Not in the hospital. And definitely not against their will.

this has already been said but do we let patients drink alcohol in the hospital? Eat cheeseburgers when they’re on a modified diet? Smoke weed if it’s legal in your state? Hang out naked in their bed if that’s what they do at home?

You’re not allowed to do many things you’d otherwise be able to do at home in the hospital.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That comparison has no validity.

There is a lot of important stuff going on with psychiatric inpatiens. Smoking cigarettes - often a calming factor for the patient - is not one.

Thankfully this is not an issue in more - let’s say civilized areas of the world than America.
Have to admit I agree with you on this about smoking. However, the idea that Europe is significantly more “civilized” than America is quite dubious. I think their tastes are a bit more sophisticated in general. But look at the horrible current policies in Germany for examples of how Europeans are not more civilized.

If you were applying in 2018-2019 cycle, it means you matched March 2019. So you have not yet completed a year of residency.

Interesting, I hadn't realized there are apparently accelerated residency programs that let fresh M4s start as PGY-2s.

the question wasn’t for me

I’m pgy2 but thx anyway lol

Since this has come up twice now, I'm willing to accept that I might be wrong. But if you applied in the fall of 2018 as an MS 4 (as your previous posts said), wouldn't that mean you matched in March 2019? And if you matched in March 2019, how are you a PGY 2?

Reactions: 1 user
smoking although terrible, but remains legal.

Not legal if it's illegal in the hospital.

Also, and I forgot to mention, there were patients who smoked, wanted to smoke, of course forced to not smoke in the inpatient unit, but then upon discharge since they already were several days clean from their use were inspired to use that as the stepping stone to quit.

Overall not 100% of patients are better off for banning smoking in hospitals. From my experience well over 95% were. The argument that we could cherry pick who can or can't smoke will not work and if you've worked in a hospital you realize why. Aside that it's too much of a pain to track who can and who can't it'll lead to a lot of anger among patients if some can and others can't. So you either across the board ban it or not in a hospital. I'd be for banning it.

Also worth mentioning—100% of people not smoking benefit from no smoking laws in hospitals.