Smoking Pot and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizardKing

Veteran Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that a lot of med students smoke pot regularly. This befuddles me, and I want to know if there's any truth to this.

I even find it odd to meet doctors/med students who smoke cigarettes. Shouldn't they be the last people to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

If it aint in the MSAR, no reason not to do it. :D :D :D

That was a good one Mr Alien!

Members don't see this ad :)
How about drinking alcohol?

Why is this forgotten? Oh..that's right..your liver loves alcohol :)

I know mine does! oh baby...

Stop thinking of doctors as the healthiest people on the planet immediately. It's actually the complete opposite. Physicians have one of the absolute shortest average lifespans.

none,

Do you happen to know which profession has the longest life span? I'm curious...

yes, a lot of med students do smoke pot. When you tell them its bad for their neurons, they give you a lecture on neuroscience and tell you don't know s***t about medicine. when i first saw one smoke something i had exact same question as you guys;

it actually isn't bad for your neurons...at least according to the neuropharmocology class I took. The danger is the similar effects it has to alcohol which can lead to car accidents, etc. Wasn't there a recent study that said increased access to pot reduced alcohol related accidents? :rolleyes:

Hey, at least it's not crack!

Yea, sure, pot might not have any harmful neurological effects that can be proven empirically. But if you've ever smoked pot chronically or know someone that does, you know it makes you stupid. Don't deny it. This could be a temporary (few weeks to several months) effect, but how the heck can you even learn with these effects? Not to mention how badly you could screw up a patient's dosage, etc. working in the hospital...

I'd be curious to see the stats on "pot induced" car accidents.... ;)

i think with all the stress damage we do to ourselves, smoking pot is probably the best thing we can do for ourselves. my doctor (who is a cornell med professor) told me the same thing. the real problems with most narcotics are the social factors and dependency behavior, but since it appears that the majority of us and med students already have our lives in pretty stable condition, pot smoking has become a recreational part of our lives. ill spare you from the rest of my pot-head jargon that im sure you've heard before, but it's all true.

I never touch drugs (ever, ever, ever), but as long as it's not interfering in their or anyone else's lives (ie. pts, etc), why not let med students toss down a little herb here and there? You'd probably be surprised at the number of people you know (and many of their parents) who smoke some ganja regularly. --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
The big danger I think is becoming involved with hard drugs. Assuming we're all viable med-school candidates, we've all been doing something right.
Now okay, smoking pot makes you dumb- while you're high. But dumb doesn't mean stupid. It wears off. Most of the after affects where of in 24 hours.

Go to pubmed:
<a href="http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/" target="_blank">http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/</a>

look up marijuana memory (and whatever else you fancy)

Is it best? NO. Are you going to confuse grams with milligrams. No. If smoking becomes chronic then it's a symptom of a larger problem (IMHO). If it's something you find spiritual, hopefully you won't be abusing it.
I dated an MD, I've seen some of these people at parties. MDs are human too, and subject to the same frailties. -Oneiro

Pot is illegal. Are you ready to sacrifice your medical career for a joint? I am not. Is it fun? Sure, but as future physicians we are responsible to set a positive example in society. Pot's harmful affects have always been controversial, but it is unhealthy(at least to the pulmonary systems), and it is illegal(which gives you a social responsibility not to use it). I also find it hard to believe that any established physician would advise, or condone using pot for stress relief or relaxation. The healthiest way to relieve stress is exercise and psychotherapy

A lot of the smartest guys i know smoke pot regularly...or more than regularly. And geezus, they're brilliant! Yeah, they might be stupid later but they're having fun. I mean look, underage drinking is illegal. Especially in a profession that's so stressful, gotta get your kicks in someway. And yada yada, i know you can have fun without booze and drugs, but there's nothing like getting your buzz on. And yeah, it relieves a hell of a lot of stress. Do I condone it? not especially, but don't have anything against it. And yeah, doctors are very well respected, but why should we have to give up our fun just so other members of society can have a role model? I have a much bigger thing against doctors who smoke than doctors who use drugs and drink occasionally. As always, moderation should be used.

And as for exercise, yeah that's cool, good for regular practice. But drinking/smoking pot is a different kind of stress relief. And the psychotherapy????? Um....I wouldn't advocate that if not needed????!

How about this for a twist of the conversation, if you check the Medical Student's forum there is a thread about taking ephedra to stay awake while you study. You can't buy or sell ephedra in Nebraska, criminal offense. However, if I smoke a joint in NE and would get caught I would be given a citation, not unlike a speeding ticket, but with pot.

So what do you think, is NE far ahead of other states in realizing pot isn't all that bad (yes it can be bad for you though) and realizing ephedra is some dangerous stuff (cardiac probs, death)? What are your thoughts on drug legalization? Peace.

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value."

Yes, there is proof. There are a lot of mathematicians that are healthy. Ph.d. math students are too busy writing a dissertation, doing research, and teaching to even think of smoking.

I had a roommate my first year in college that was absolutely BRILLIANT. She smoked pot on a regular basis. Wouldn't you know it, she got into Harvard med. But she turned them down to go to a state med school. So, yes the smoking pot DOES affect your reasoning abilities!

Mayn experst will tell you that it is undeniable that alcohol has many mroe harmfaul effects on your body than pot. And pot DOES NOT impare you in the same way that alchol does. That is to say, that smoking pot and driving, while not recommended, is not as bad as drinking and driving. It is actually quite easy to drive while your high. And as far as the brain cells, I am yet again reminded of my friend from organic that smoked every day, and is still doing better than I am in the class. If you ask me they should legalize the **** and get it over with, and anything should be illegal its booze.

just thought I'd add a little mechanism to the conversation. According a couple recent studies (they made the cover of neuron last august) the mechanism works as such:

We all have endogenous cannabinoid molecules, they function in the hippocampus as a retrograde messanger from glutaminergic neurons back to GABA (inhibitory) interneurons. Basically when the neurons are firing they send the cannabinoid signal to tell the inhibitory neurons to stop inhibiting, so they can keep firing. Here is is in their own words:

"Endocannabinoids are thought to mediate the suppression of GABA release that follows depolarization of a hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neuron-termed 'depolarization-induced suppression of inhibition'"

So I was talking to my lab people about this and what seems like a reasonable explaination for the experience of smoking pot would be that you are introducing these cannabinoid molecules to many neurons, inhibiting inhibition in many cases where there was no reason for it, and thus making this feedback mechanism, which works to keep the hippocampus in sync, out of sync. Since the hippocampus mediates such functions as spatial awareness and short term memory, it would be reasonable to assume these functions get a little fuzzy or out of sync. Talking to people who have more experience than myself in the sensations of pot, told me that this seems pretty reasonable, and in line with the feeling one gets.

What do you guys this, seem like a reasonable explanation?

Originally posted by Ciardeme:
•I had a roommate my first year in college that was absolutely BRILLIANT. She smoked pot on a regular basis. Wouldn't you know it, she got into Harvard med. But she turned them down to go to a state med school. So, yes the smoking pot DOES affect your reasoning abilities!•••

Maybe she had other reasons for turning Harvard down.

Originally posted by different strokes:

Maybe she had other reasons for turning Harvard down.•••

Dude, I think that was meant in jest....relax big dork! Jeez....DOES ANYONE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR OUT THERE??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scooby Doo:

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR OUT THERE??!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: •••

I agree. I keep seeing people joking around and then one person gets all defensive about it. OH well, we're all different.

BTW, Scooby Doo, props on the funny signature. ;)

I can't believe what I have read in this thread, words from you people whom I thought to be respected, are just down right b... s...!

I don't give a damn if you think or you "know" that pot will not hurt yourself, or "doctor should be considered same people as other ordinary human being" CRAP.

Physicians are people I, and many other people with different professions from different social classes, respect. Be a physcian, the honor to practice medicine, to possess his patients' complete trust, to fully access his patients' most private and personal asset- his health- in their most vulnerable and fragile condition, to be the stronghold that his patients' fearful souls rest on when they have lost all earthly ego but a mere wish to live on, I say this is not an ordinary job, therefore men who are selected and called to perform this job, shall not be considered ordinary men.

Soldiers they sacrifice their freedom and a lot of liberty that other citizens otherwise conceive natural. They make such sacrifice because they honor their country, they give their lives to her. A soldier makes very little money while performs a duty that requires him to put his safety, comfort and civil right at stake. While people from other professions value their family, recreation, relationship, so on and so forth, soldiers have to neglect these otherwise valuable desires and honor their jobs first.

Consumption of any illegal substance is highly prohibited for members of the Armed Force. There is not a member of our armed force that smoke pot or whatever out there. Do they complain that they are just ordinary people? Do they tell you that smoking pot is different than drinking and driving? Do you, however, like to one day see these men who protect your country, who ensure your medical schools running without been threaten by our enemy, who guard the transportation that you use to go to your interview, smoking pot every day when they are in their uniforms?

Even if today I were not a doctor or a pre-med student, I still would never, EVER, think breaking a law is justifiable. We are doctors, for Christ sake, can we ask ourselves to serve for something higher than just ordinary men? If it's illegal, you f...ing DON'T DO IT.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by gooloogooloo:
ordinary job, therefore men who are selected and called to perform this job, shall not be considered ordinary men.

Yeah, especially when they're women. ;)

Gooloo- get off your high horse. Doctors (of which none of us is) are still HUMAN beings too. Goddamn, i could almost hear the heroic music playing in the background when I read that drivel. Are doctors held to a higher standard? Yes. Should they be? No- i don't think so. I'm always amazed when I'm at school and notice that you give a guy a few books to read and make him pay tuition, everything changes. That air of superiority, the stench of elitism. I can see from your post that is everywhere, not just the 'hallowed halls' of schools in the NE. Look, get over it. Students everywhere will smoke some herb. Students everywhere will realize one day that they should probably stop. There's nothign 'chosen' to being a doctor. None of us was touched by God who said "you must heal" and off we went to Hopkins. We're people that persevered and outlasted the rest (hopefully). There's millions of people out there that could be fine doctors, in fact better doctors than anyone who's ever read SDN, but won't have the chance, the patience, or the resources. If anyone has given me the gift of being a candidate to medicine, it's my parents who fronted the $$. It's people like you that make me wish I had stayed in the business school.

And finally, if you don't think anyone in the armed forces drinks or does drugs, you obviously know NO ONE in the armed forces.

PS: i have never in my entire life touched any form of illegal drug. I just don't think I should be on my high horse shouting down orders to others of what they can and can't do --Trek

Just a point (and as I recall a very similar thread was up a year or so ago), if you are a medical student, resident or doctor and you are caught using any illegal drug, or, in some cases, drinking and driving, you are very likely to be kicked out of school or your job and might possibly have your license taken away. Though I have nothing against people smoking pot, I think everyone should know the risks they run if they do so. So...if you're still in college - have fun while you can, if thats what you want to do. Some med schools do drug testing, most, if not all residencies do as well. Anyways.

Star

gooloogooloo I think you ought to check your history a little.

In Vietnam, soldiers were well known to smoke pot openly, while on duty. This is far from the only example.

Two other things to throw into this conversation:

1. Some medical schools are clearly concerned about this very debate. Mount Sinai, for example, drug tests their entering class, seriously.

2. A family friend of my is a doctor and chief of his department at a major academic hospital. He smokes pot everyday and has for years. Has it effected him? Probably, he always seems a little high now. But does it effect his practice. No. His patients come first, which is why people come from literally around the world to see him.

gooloogooloo,

Jeez...what got shoved up your a$$....
What makes you think you are on top of everything and superior to anyone who chooses to partake in different recreational endevours? Are you going to give that dribble to your patients who walk in and are addicted? Just tell them, "you should have known better...sorry, tough luck now...you should be banished..no health care for you!"

Worst Post Ever!

haha... :p :p :p :p :p

Check my history? I am talking about the military today, not 50 years ago. I was a member of it so I know it better.

Trek:
My "High Horse?" perhaps, but it's the very mean that drives me to be a good doctor too. I take my dedication seriously and my mission honorly.

A real issue with pot is that it can, over a long term period, contribute to a change in one's value system. A highly skilled physician, due to the influence of pot on his mind, may decide to bunch his practice and family in order to spend the rest of his life on a beach in Costa Rica.

Other factors (alcohol, a hot babe, burn out etc) can lead to the similar results. And, questioning such behavior is a value judgement. However, people should be aware of the possible consequences of their actions.

hey googooloo, you argue that doctors have to abide by the law over other citizens because we have some sort of higher moral obligation. did you ever have a drink before your 21st birthday? or would that have been beneath you? ever lie? ever cheat on your taxes? EVER DRIVE OVER THE SPEED LIMIT? hypocrite. you know, anal and oral sex are illegal in most states, same with same-sex marriages. ever get a BJ? (judging by your response, prob. not) are homosexuals allowed to be doctors, or must they, as doctors, follow a "higher standard?" the truth is that laws are NOT perfect. if you dont believe this, you are too naive to be the wonderful doctor character you claim to be. doctors need the ability to relate to other humans, but with your holier than though attitude, i seriously feel sorry for your future patients and the poor shmuck who has to interview you. i hope they catch your BS attitude. i quote the movie barton fink, "Empathy requires understanding."-dont think you are above anything. if you dont smoke pot, that's cool, i can respect that, but at least have the decency the other people on this board have had to respect the decision TO smoke pot and not judge others for making this really trivial and personal decision. are you trying to tell me that people who smoke pot dont deserve to be doctors? that's total bull****. i go to a pretty reputable school, and every single person i know here smokes pot; in fact, every ivy league student i know smokes pot_ it's taboo-ness has been reduced to the level of masturbation, and for good reason. Gore and Clinton smoked pot; hell, dubya was a freakin coke-head and now he IS the law. i was even caught by the security once; the dean GAVE ME BACK MY POT and told me to open the window more next time!
tell me, will you be this judgmental when a pregnant teenager comes into your office?

Please. If elitism and snobbery drives someone to become a good doctor, I don't want to be one or be treated by one. I want one that understands that nobody (even God's chosen ones- the doctors) is perfect, that everyone deserves respect (even for their opinions on drugs), and that letting people do as they please doesn't make you less dedicated.

Yes, the military today has plenty of drug and alcohol users and abusers, as it has had for years. It's not a clandestine problem, spend 20 minutes with anyoen in the armed forces and they'll be quite open about it. However, you will not be accepted if you fail the initial drug test. I don't know what branch you were in, but I suspect the only drug/alcohol free groups are the Green Berets, SEALS, Rangers, and delta force. I'm truly impressed with you for such dedication to make it into one of these groups. Of course, you could just not know what you're talkign about (i seem to recall you're an immigrant)? --Trek

What have I started??!? (I'm the original poster of this topic.)

All I wanted to know is if a lot of med students smoke the chronic, which apparently they do. This has turned into a virulent debate (thanks to us lovely premeds). Ya'll need to chill and light a big fat blunt. No, seriously, I find it amusing and kinda disturbing that a lot of students do smoke out. I just can't imagine studying for anything, let alone in one of the most difficult academic settings, while THC is still in my system. Anyway, try to justify it all you want, if you smoke weed at least once a week, you're a pothead! I don't care if you're "brilliant" and you ace tests while taking hits from the bong, you're a pothead!

Just a few points:
Hey, gooloogooloo is entitled to his opinion as you are entitiled yours. Leave the guy alone.

With the exception of a few states, Nebraska being one, smoking a joint is a criminal offense. It isn't legal here though.

This post wouldn't be nearly as rowdy if it was "Smoking Crack and Med. School." Both are illegal, both have side effects and benefits.

Like anything, moderation is key. Too much of anything can be dangerous. There is a fine line between getting a drink of water and drowning.

Just my thoughts.

"I suspect the only drug/alcohol free groups are the Green Berets, SEALS, Rangers, and delta force."

I'm not going to get into the drug thing but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard...you obviously have no clue about the Spec Ops world...While it is true that they are overwhelmingly drug free they are quite proficient at partying. OK BACK TO THE SUBJECT...

You're right- but I really couldn't think of any other branch that could even come within a million miles of being thought of as drug free. Although in my reading on these topics (not huge, but not minimal either), i've never seen any mention of drug/alcohol use. I have in books on general armed services, however. --Trek

Trek..admit it...you have indulged in the wonderful world of weed and the hallucinations brought on by dropping tabs.

From now on..we shall call Trek - Stoner Boy :)

Yes, I napped for about 3 hours...damn good nap too...time to go chill

Trek,
The truth is that, they not only give you an initial screen, they screen you every 6 month. This is what I experience as have served in US Armed Force. And immigrant can serve in the armed force too. I don't want to go into the detail of my info, because I don't want some people on this board to recognize me in real life by reading this.

choker:

I didn't mean that people who smoke pot do not deserve to practice medicine. Perhaps that's what most of you think- I am an unsympathetic hypocrite, based on what I said.

Well, what I said was my belief and my principal on the subject of the drug intake of doctors. It's perfectly for you not to agree with me, as I never expect people in this world to act in a harmony.

But don't tell me that how I will treat my patient, or how will I not, because only you don't know me at all. I don't even need to defend myself or prove to you that how will I care my patient.

There are ethic, custom, trandition and law in the world as standard for human behavior. In primitive time people enforced the peace of the society by following a general order, a custom, a practice. The peace is definied as the best interest of the people, while every individual's right is not compromised.
Emphasize on individual's right, however, is increased as ages pass and is focused more in the western culture. Generally a family will govern the tribe or a small town where a group of families reside. Later on as people increase and the society get complicated, a more formal and structural government system needs to be institutionalized. What shall be put into the law, however, are come from the tranditional wisdom that we have discovered throughout our past days.
These trandition-derived law therefore may be different from time to time, and from place to place. In many countries for example, drinking ages are set differently. In all countries, however, murder is considered a capital crime. Illegal drinking and murder are both two subjects that the book of law needs to cover, but one varies from place to place, one remain the same. It's becaused that people from different cultural background conceive and create the standard of their social behavior independently from one another based on their social need and their past history.
Someone kills a person because that person slept with someone's girl/boy friend. This is a homicide and would probably be treated as a felony in every where, because almost all human beings in the world believe that murder is a serious and wrong behavior.
Drinking underage, however, will be enforced with a much larger varieation among states.
What I am trying to potray here is that, where can we draw the fine line between something is clearly bad, and something that's in the grey area.
We human who suffer in the mortal soil must face this question. We have all kinds of choices to make. ****s happen in life. There are people you jsut plainly hate and you want to stab. There are unjustices every where. World is not perfect and we all know it. In this whole big mess we are trying to make this palce a better palce to live by reflecting the brighter side of us more.
And choker, I drive faster than the speed limit all the time; I don't like to drink, but I do drink sometimes underage; I often lie. And for your info, I am not better than anyone else or any other men in the world. Did I ever say I was? But so what? Being perfect is an impossible task for men to achive, but trying to be perfect is what we all need to pursue- not the perfect in your MCAT score or your GPA, but your moral attitudes. It's who you are the most important thing, not what title you have earned.
Back to the topic, as what I said, laws are made to provide us a standard. It's not given by the government or found out by experiements. It's originally imprinted in our heart- the conscience that we have. We just derive it and translate it into noun and verbs on white sheets so every one can follow. We don't need to discover the gravity in order to be remain standing, not floating to outter space. Gravity will remain whether we beleive it or not.
But where do we draw that fine line between the extremes of two sides? On one side of our moral standard might be, for example, murder which is considered wrong. On the other side, let's say speeding 9 miles over the limit. I guess 90% of people will probably tolerate that.
But at what point between these two, can one say, "it's not right for a person to do it?"
Well, there isn't that line. I was not giving you that line either.
As a matter of drug intaking, I am only giving you my best advise, the advise that built upon my knowledge and faith. It's your right to take it or not to take it. It has, though, nothing to do with how well will I treat my patient or take care of people who don't meet my standard.
In fact, as I said, there is no standard. Well, at this point I have to explain my point with a clarification. I am a Chrsitian, so as for a Christian, a standard is really to follow Jesus and inmitate him. None of men is perfect, therefore he came to save us from our sin. He know that we can't be perfect, to be not lying, not cheating in the test, not speeding, or not killing, not hating, not discriminating, not raping... He knows all these ****s will happen, but he still comes to us and tell us that he loves us. This is really the theme of Christianity that, we aren't saved by our acts- what we do and who we are. We are really just saved because we believe in Him. If we believe in him, we are willing to follow his command, to love one another, then we are on our way to the truth. The truth is this, no matter where we are on this line between two extremes, as long we are TRYING our best to be a better person, we are fine.
Along the way we need encouragement and understanding, that's where doctors come in and play their roles. Doctors could be anyone in our lives. It could be someone who enlightens you, or someone who give you a hand.
In my post, however, is that incorrect to tell you, my fellow pre-meds, that ABIDING THE LAW IS SOMETHING YOU SHALL BE DOING? Gosh, I really can't believe all these negative comment to my post from you. It's not about you are premed or not. It's about abiding a law, ok? If the subject today is, "Speeding And Teaching", and I said, "we shall not drive over the speeding limit becase we are parents of our children therefore we shall set a good example." Are you guys going to yell me, and ask me whether I have blow job or not, that I am a hypocrite and I despise all parents on this planet who drive over the speeding limit? Hell no! But can't I suggest you that, for your own safety sake, not to drive over the legal speed limit?

What is the law for if someone under such system tries to defend for the it receives public censure? Don't you guys have any thought of abide the law at all? And for Christ sake, it's about your health, and we all want to become doctors!
I really don't know what else I should say. It's just making me very sad when someone who has no clue about who I am and tells me that I can't help my patient.

What do you think of people see a poster in the mall saying, "You Can Count On Us- Physician Today Are Allowed To Smoke Pot As Needed. A message from the Department of Health." Do you think this is a positive image? Or, do you think a positive image is important at all? At least for me, an image is important for any profession. If I am a doctor, I will ask myself to behave the best of me and perform the best of me to be a caretaker of other people. I will ask myself to set a good example, a healthy one and a moral one. If I am a plumber today, I will do the same, only that less people will care. And I want to make a difference in the world.

I will ask myself, how am I going to help people if I am not good enough? Perhaps a lot of you want to become a doctors for reasons very different than I, therefore you can't echo with me. I want to be a doctor because I want to help people, NOT JUST THEIR PHYSICAL NEED, BUT THEIR SOUL. I want to give them encouragement and correct advise, cause they trust me. I want to teach them how to live a better life if they are willing to listen to my humble opinion, because they call me their doctors. I strongly believe that, since we all will die, doctors at most can only prolong the length of the process of dying. The most significant thing in one's life, therefore, is not just how long you live, but how you live your life. When this arguement becomes a rather philosophical one, perhaps I shall stop and let you to decide what kind of doctor you want to be. We just have different expectation and different goals, that's it.

Trek,

Did you hear that, heroic music playing in the background again? :p

Why don't we debate abortion while we are at it?

Googooloo argues that we shouldn't smoke pot cause it's against the law. Then why don't you argue that Doctors shouldn't break the law at all. Smoking pot is one of many law breaking activities most of America committs.

If you can argue that Doctors should be condemned for breaking any law, then I might agree with you. Otherwise, smoking pot is irrelevant.

When a Doc is a good doc, he's worthy of his title. Whether he drank under 21, jay-walked last week, drove over the speed limit, or didn't claim the $20 bucks his friend gave him as a gift on his taxes. Smoking pot is just another one of those misdameaners. Smoke it, don't smoke, I don't care. But judging someone for smoking pot is as pretentious as judging someone for underage drinking.

I'd rather have a good surgeon high, than a bad one sober. And yes, believe it or not, some of the best surgeons do smoke weed. (They're probably the ones that don't turn your spine into jelly simply because they enjoy it.) :D

Damn, googaloo, I think you need to smoke a big fatty and relax a little.

Quote by gooloogooloo ". I am a Chrsitian, so as for a Christian, a standard is really to follow Jesus and inmitate him"

Ah....a wave of understanding and "Ahhhh's" go over the audience...

from gooloogooloo:
What I am trying to potray••

Ahhh, a slip of the tongue or a deeper subliminal message...

my only point in this rather lengthy discussion is that doctors are not and should not be set to a higher standard. the only standard that should be set is by yourself. if goolooman feels that his standard is one of abiding the law to the T, then fine. if others feel that they want to smoke a doobie, then so be it. pot is illegal so if they get caught, then the responsibility is on themselves of course. i think some of us have this high and almighty representation of doctors, but man, we (i'm hoping that i'll be one soon) go through the same **** and deal with it the same as any other person. goolooman, your initial post definately sounded all high and mighty. that's why you've been assualted by the verbal diatribe, which was a bit harsh i'd say. however, stick to focusing on yourself, and if others choose to smoke weed, then it's their choice.

Originally posted by gooloogooloo:
•There are people you jsut plainly hate and you want to stab. •••

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And just how often do these thoughts pop into your head Mr. Gooloogooloo?

Ironically enough, a couple of bong hits would do wonders to help you with your anger management. ;)

I have indulged in my fair share of the chronic in my day. I decided to forgo our friend mary after high school though. In my experience dope breaks down to this......There are a (very) few people in the world who can smoke dope at will and it has ABSOLUTELY no effect on their outside life. The problem is everyone who smokes the stuff thinks that person is them! I know, I know, everyone knows more than a few people in college who smoked like fiends and still did well.....but could they have done even better if they didn't smoke at all?
I, personally, have no problem if a person walks into a room and lights up a fatty. I would, however, have a major problem if I found out that the surgeon who operated on me today (and yeah...I really did have surgery today) hit the bong daily. All else equal (and good surgeons are pretty much equal) I would take the Doc who didn't pull bingers like they were going out of style.

man, when pot is legal we are all going to look back at this thread and laugh ;)

Originally posted by jdub:
•man, when pot is legal we are all going to look back at this thread and laugh ;) •••

If we can remember it, dude. ;)

Also, with a username like LizardKing, we KNOW you're smoking it. ;) (Isn't that something Jim Morrison said? I am not their biggest fan, but I used to listen to The Doors)

Yo check it,
Smoking L's ain't got nothing to do wit treating a patient. If my surgeon hits the Budha, that's aight wit me. I just don't want him to be lit while he is cuttin'. Know what I'm sayin playas?

When you smoke a fat spliff (preferably on a cliff) the effects usually last at most a couple of hours. Eventually you realize there ain't no mountain high enough, so you get the munchies. The next day you are back to your old self (unlike alcohol).

If you start judging a physician on what he does in his/her spare time, then you are being unreasonable. What if he commits adultery, spanks his monkey in high heels and a Victoria Secret nighty, likes anal pearls, braids his pubes, or likes to sleep with a bra wrapped around his ankles? Does is that make him a bad doc? NO. Weird. Yeah, but so what? Those chosen few that can handle Mary Jane on a steady schedule do not concern me. If someone wants to party and hits a little purple haze, that's ok too. Just know your limits and keep it out of the workplace.

Peace out
drdrtoledo AKA puff-o-licous AKA quickroll