aznb0y129

Oh hamburgers!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Flushing, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. i have a 3.45 undergrad gpa, a 3.7 smp from a well-known smp, and a 31N (P11, V8, BS 12). I have a decent amount of research and volunteer work (but no pulication yet). I had a clinic job for one year before i started my smp. I applied early and was complete end of august. I have yet to recieve any interviews. what should i do? I applied to all the lower tier schools. comments are welcomed... thank you.

We have similar numbers, though my MCAT is slightly more balanced and my undergrad GPA is higher. Assuming your ECs are in order (hard to tell without more information), you might want to revisit your personal statement and make sure your LORs are great. A lot of times, if your PS or secondary essays are weak or you had a bad letter written about you, that can kill your application even if you have good numbers.

matlabsux

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your GPA is ok but that 8 in VR is going to be a big red flag to most MD schools. If you are in a state with some public schools or if you are a URM, you stand a pretty good chance.

To be sure, apply broad, apply DO, apply FMS. Good luck!

About the Ads

chudat

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
I feel it's really bad to say apply to DO or Caribbean if you want to do U.S. MD. The reason why I say this is because of the financial commitments involved. If you really want go MD, apply broadly to all sorts of schools. You have good chances at lower-tier schools and state schools.

Dan

Piston95

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You have a great chance at your state schools and those "lower tier" schools (but really who cares what tier they are). Many of my friends have gotten multiple acceptances with similar applications. Make sure you apply early though, I'm learning that the hard way....

Theres no way you need to consider D.O or Caribbean, unless you want to.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I agree with Piston95, you really don't need to consider the carribean or DO. I think you have a good shot at an MD program (w/ the 3.7 at the SMP). Does your SMP have any sort of linkage? With that GPA, you should most likely get into your SMP school. Your MCAT is decent, sure the 8 on the verbal is not too good (coupled with that N), but I think you have decent enough science scores to compensate. Apply to lower/middle tier schools and if you write a compelling enough PS/ have good EC's. You should get an acceptance.

chiz2kul

t.roll.ed for Banning
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. i have a 3.45 undergrad gpa, a 3.7 smp from a well-known smp, and a 31N (P11, V8, BS 12). I have a decent amount of research and volunteer work (but no pulication yet). I had a clinic job for one year before i started my smp. I applied early and was complete end of august. I have yet to recieve any interviews. what should i do? I applied to all the lower tier schools. comments are welcomed... thank you.

I have pretty similar numbers but with a 9 in VR, and a higher gpa. I've gotten 4 acceptance so far and turned down like 3 or so interviews after going to about 8 interviews. I have very little research with no pubs and decent volunteer work.
What schools did you apply to that you consider low tier? Hows your PS and LOR's?

dricecream

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thank you for all your responses. I did get an interview from my SMP but I don't know how many of us they are going to take. As for state schools, I am from California (do i need to say more).

to give more information about myself.. I have had research experiences in undergrad (for about one year) and I am now working in a lab that studies cancer (been working full time).
Volunteer/EC: homeless shelter, TA, shadowing, working in clinical full time for 6 months, hospital volunteer, community outreach ( i would say i have had a decent amount of volunteering and EC).
I have applied to Wake Forest, VCU, Jefferson, RFSM, creighton, st louis, nymc, drexel (on hold already), albany (hope), loyola.. etc.. what do you guys think?

Piston95

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you for all your responses. I did get an interview from my SMP but I don't know how many of us they are going to take. As for state schools, I am from California (do i need to say more).

to give more information about myself.. I have had research experiences in undergrad (for about one year) and I am now working in a lab that studies cancer (been working full time).
Volunteer/EC: homeless shelter, TA, shadowing, working in clinical full time for 6 months, hospital volunteer, community outreach ( i would say i have had a decent amount of volunteering and EC).
I have applied to Wake Forest, VCU, Jefferson, RFSM, creighton, st louis, nymc, drexel (on hold already), albany (hope), loyola.. etc.. what do you guys think?

You've done a great job in ur ECs and your school choices...the only thing I would have suggested is to maybe add some more (but you did say "etc" so I'm guessing maybe there are some more you havent listed). Unfortunately its just a waiting game now man...As you know some people have already been accepted, but I know many people who have had to wait until the spring or summer (after many students make their final decisions) to get accepted and in some cases just to get interviewed. So just be patient for now and send the schools update letters and stuff like that if they accept/like to get those.

dricecream

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You've done a great job in ur ECs and your school choices...the only thing I would have suggested is to maybe add some more (but you did say "etc" so I'm guessing maybe there are some more you havent listed). Unfortunately its just a waiting game now man...As you know some people have already been accepted, but I know many people who have had to wait until the spring or summer (after many students make their final decisions) to get accepted and in some cases just to get interviewed. So just be patient for now and send the schools update letters and stuff like that if they accept/like to get those.

thank you!! i am just starting to get really worried because i am not getting any invites. I was complete at most schools end of august. all i have heard about are holds at schools like albany. I am trying to be patient and know that this process is long and hard. when should i start thinking about DO or Caribbean schools? I just don't want to go that route because i invested so much time and money in my SMP. I could of gotten in to those schools without it.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Haha I am from California too, trust me I know your pain. But if you apply broadly you should have a good shot....apply to all the UC's and lower/middle tier privates (OOS). Also if u don't mind my asking what SMP did you go too? If you went to Georgetown or one of the big name ones (w/ a 3.7) I think you have a REALLY good shot at many schools. If you went to a smaller SMP that could be a bit harder... but don't lose hope I think you have decent EC's, MCAT, and SMP gpa should allow u to get in somewhere.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I also STRONGLY discourage you from trying the carribean option....i'm sure it has worked for some people, but that should really be your last resort. And with your stats I do not understand why you would need to do a DO either? You can apply if you want too, but I do not think you have too

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.