SMP and medical school time line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alowe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im an incoming senior undergrad at GWU. My current GPA is around 3.5/3.55 and I'm taking the MCAT this august (2017). I want to apply to some SMP programs (Georgetown, Tufts, Tulane, Duke) this summer as well after i get my MCAT scores back and was wondering, as my GPA is on the lower side for a lot of medical schools, I'm counting on one of these program to set me apart, but if I was to go to medical school directly after one of these one year programs, I'd have to apply to the medical schools before I get grades from the SMP program. So if someone could clarify how these 1 year programs better your grades when applying to medical school ill be eternally grateful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Im an incoming senior undergrad at GWU. My current GPA is around 3.5/3.55 and I'm taking the MCAT this august (2017). I want to apply to some SMP programs (Georgetown, Tufts, Tulane, Duke) this summer as well after i get my MCAT scores back and was wondering, as my GPA is on the lower side for a lot of medical schools, I'm counting on one of these program to set me apart, but if I was to go to medical school directly after one of these one year programs, I'd have to apply to the medical schools before I get grades from the SMP program. So if someone could clarify how these 1 year programs better your grades when applying to medical school ill be eternally grateful!

Who told you that you need to do a smp? You don't need one... focus on crushing the Mcat.

Who told you that you need to do a smp? You don't need one... focus on crushing the Mcat.
Thats what I'm working on now but time line-wise I would have a gap year between now and medical school anyways as I'm going into senior year just having taken the MCAT. I want to fill the gap with a master's degree.

Exactly what Shotapp said, kill the MCAT and you will be fine if you apply broadly and smart. Most people who do SMPs are either b/c of low GPA or career changers. The biggest risk that most people dont realize from doing an SMP is if you mess up in the program, your changes in the future for medical school can be kissed goodbye, so very high risk (more debt), so I would avoid doing an SMP if possible.