SMP chance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgibran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm currently a senior at a Big Ten public and I'm looking to apply to SMP's for my gap year, let me know what schools would be good b/c I'd prefer not to take two years off...

Major : B.S Biochemistry
S/C GPA : 3.3ish
MCAT : 29 (11P, 10V, 8B)

-Two years in a competitive speaking org including President my 2nd year(think Model UN, Debate, Mock Trial), have multiple awards as a performer
-250 appr. hours volunterring
-50ish hours shadowing across various specialties
-Research appr. 1.5 yr. in internal med. lab (still working in lab), two poster presenations
-Volunteer abroad at a free health clinic
-Senator on student government
-3 yrs., currently Chair of student org. that does a lot of community service in my school's town
-Tutor to students coming from disadvantages/underrepresented backgrounds

Lemme know what schools would be good to apply to. I'm also considering informal-postbacc at my school. If I continue my upward trend by next fall I could be 3.4+ in s/c gpa....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA could use the help from a SMP.

But if you're shooting for MD, your MCAT should be your biggest concern. The top MD SMPs will be looking for applicants with a high MCAT and low GPA. The combination of low MCAT and low GPA is not in your favor.

If DO is your goal, your MCAT and a few retake classes should get you some good looks and interviews.

Hey guys, so I'm currently a senior at a Big Ten public and I'm looking to apply to SMP's for my gap year, let me know what schools would be good b/c I'd prefer not to take two years off...

Major : B.S Biochemistry
S/C GPA : 3.3ish
MCAT : 29 (11P, 10V, 8B)

-Two years in a competitive speaking org including President my 2nd year(think Model UN, Debate, Mock Trial), have multiple awards as a performer
-250 appr. hours volunterring
-50ish hours shadowing across various specialties
-Research appr. 1.5 yr. in internal med. lab (still working in lab), two poster presenations
-Volunteer abroad at a free health clinic
-Senator on student government
-3 yrs., currently Chair of student org. that does a lot of community service in my school's town
-Tutor to students coming from disadvantages/underrepresented backgrounds

Lemme know what schools would be good to apply to. I'm also considering informal-postbacc at my school. If I continue my upward trend by next fall I could be 3.4+ in s/c gpa....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cincinnati, BU, Gtown, EVMS, and Toledo are all good choices.

Alright, so I was planning on retaking especially with that poor bio score. So lets say 31+ (fingers crossed) with a retake would an SMP be in order or would postbacc work be preferred granted that I continue the trend and push it up past 3.4?

A 3.3 GPA + 31 MCAT is doable for top SMPs. It might even get you some looks at lower tier MDs if you resonate with their missions.

Alright, so I was planning on retaking especially with that poor bio score. So lets say 31+ (fingers crossed) with a retake would an SMP be in order or would postbacc work be preferred granted that I continue the trend and push it up past 3.4?