SMP matter from an allo vs osteo school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etp123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere in my perusals of this forum so forgive me if it is a FAQ, but does it make much difference if you do your SMP at a school with an allopathic or osteopathic focus? For instance, if an osteopathic school has an SMP, if I enter that program will it affect my chances of applying to an allopathic school since some of the core philosophies differ between the two? Do MD schools look more favorably upon completing an SMP at school with MD philosophies, and vice versa for DO?

Or in your experience, does it really not matter at all where I do my SMP so long as I do well?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Read the the school's website, all SMPs should have some information regarding where its students went.

All things being the same, if I was to do an SMP I would do it at a school with an MD. I think the reason for the popularity of DO SMPs is the strong linkage but if you're able to do well in m1 coursework, you could get into many MD and DO schools.

I would do what mango said but also consider for yourself how taking coursework at ___ college of osteopathic medicine might be implicitly looked at differently from Georgetown med, Drexel med, etc,