MD SMP or direct apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepeds1998

Reaction score
Hi I am currently a junior undergraduate. I'm majoring in Neuroscience with minors in Health Systems Management and Bioethics. I really want to attend medical school, but my GPA is the thing holding me back. I had family stuff happening throughout my freshman/sophomore year of undergrad (family death), but have a generally upward trend. If i perform properly, I can end my senior year with a 3.5. Which would entail a gap year. I'm unsure if I should do an SMP during this time or not. I have NOT taken my MCAT yet, but will be taking it in May.

My extracurriculars are great:
-leadership on my school a capella team
-a small business (doing embroidery)
-clinical research at a renown rehabilitation hospital with focuses around my major (neuroscience)
-300+ volunteer hours
-50-100 shadowing hours as a medical assistant

My question is- should I do an SMP or apply to med school? Or should I take the time to expand further on research? Also, how prevalent are minors during med school applications?

I am very particular about getting an M.D. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

We definitely need more information (like the template from WAMC) regarding what you did with your shadowing, volunteer, and patient-facing experiences. What BCPM courses did you take that you earned a B or lower? How exactly is your GPA holding you back (need cGPA and sGPA)? We cannot make a call on applying to medical school without an official MCAT result. State residency? Any networking with other medical schools?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

• Love
Reactions: 1 user