MD SMP or Post Bacc given stats: cGPA 3.31 sGPA 3.13 MCAT 500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G_clooney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advise based on some raw numbers/information:

I am a CA resident. I graduated college 4 years ago, have since worked as a medical scribe, in a clinic for the underserved, and had many volunteer/shadowing hours (have not had research work since my undergrad projects). I have also gone through 1 app cycle, with a few IIs, but no interviews.

MCAT: 500 (with potential for higher, there were some issues test day that mentally interfered)
cGPA: 3.31
sGPA: 3.13
*upward trend in GPA

Senior Year:
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.80

Junior year:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.54

Specific GPA weakness from Freshman and Sophomore year (these are the worst grades on my transcript):
Calc I : C+
Calc II : C-
Genetics w/Lab : C+
Orgo II w/ Lab : C+
General Bio I w/Lab : B-

Given this information, and countless hours sifting through SDN info it seems my options for boosting my GPA are: (I also plan on retaking the MCAT)

1. DIY Post bacc + MCAT retake (I have access to a cc, not a 4 year school)--worth it to retake my low grade science pre recs? Just focus on the upper division sciences offered? Move somewhere where I can take more classes from a 4 year?

2. SMP + MCAT retake

3. Structured Post bacc + MCAT retake

I would appreciate any advise, or references to useful forum discussions :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you raise your GPA to 3.5 and if your new MCAT is 510 then you would have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance according to the GPA-MCAT grid. With your current stats you are competitive for some DO schools. You could apply to certain DO schools this June and begin medical school in 2019 or you could could take 2 or 3 years to raise your GPA and MCAT and have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance.

If you raise your GPA to 3.5 and if your new MCAT is 510 then you would have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance according to the GPA-MCAT grid. With your current stats you are competitive for some DO schools. You could apply to certain DO schools this June and begin medical school in 2019 or you could could take 2 or 3 years to raise your GPA and MCAT and have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance.
Thanks for the great info!

Hi everyone! I'm looking for advise based on some raw numbers/information:

I am a CA resident. I graduated college 4 years ago, have since worked as a medical scribe, in a clinic for the underserved, and had many volunteer/shadowing hours (have not had research work since my undergrad projects). I have also gone through 1 app cycle, with a few IIs, but no interviews.

MCAT: 500 (with potential for higher, there were some issues test day that mentally interfered)
cGPA: 3.31
sGPA: 3.13
*upward trend in GPA

Senior Year:
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.80

Junior year:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.54

Specific GPA weakness from Freshman and Sophomore year (these are the worst grades on my transcript):
Calc I : C+
Calc II : C-
Genetics w/Lab : C+
Orgo II w/ Lab : C+
General Bio I w/Lab : B-

Given this information, and countless hours sifting through SDN info it seems my options for boosting my GPA are: (I also plan on retaking the MCAT)

1. DIY Post bacc + MCAT retake (I have access to a cc, not a 4 year school)--worth it to retake my low grade science pre recs? Just focus on the upper division sciences offered? Move somewhere where I can take more classes from a 4 year?

2. SMP + MCAT retake

3. Structured Post bacc + MCAT retake

I would appreciate any advise, or references to useful forum discussions :)
I've written previously as to the +'s and -'s of post-bac vs SNP. Most structured post-bacs are for career changers. read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user