SMP or Post-Bacc? & What are my chances for MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KBlack626

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Pre-Med from a state school in CA with a cGPA of 3.33 and sGPA of 3.36.
I do have an upward trend starting from second year until I finished and actually completed all of my Upper Division Science classes with ~3.85+.
~180 hours of clinical by the time I apply.
~50 hours of Shadowing MD
Many volunteering hours in underserved areas(haven't counted it up yet)
3 Leadership positions in School organizations
1 Leadership position in volunteer org

I'm going to apply to Medical School this coming cycle but I also want to apply and complete a SMP or PostBacc in the "Gap year". In case I don't get in anywhere I could apply next cycle with my Graduate GPA or Improved Undergrad GPA depending on which program I do.

Can I have feedback on which program would fit my profile? I am also URM if that helps any.

My list currently is:

KGI PPC program
Tulane M.S. in Physio
Geisinger MBS
CalMed MBS
Brown MBS
Georgetown MBS
and a couple of state school Post baccs

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who used an SMP to gain acceptance after poor undergrad performance (very similar GPAs to you), here is my advice:

-pick a program that will allow you to take classes alongside medical students and will be graded just like medical students, this way you can definitively prove that you are ready to be successful in medical school
-go with a smaller program because the advising will undoubtedly be better and more helpful

I would hesitate to do a program while applying. If you are already preparing to be unsuccessful, it is best to wait until you are done with the program and apply once you have all your grades and a strong application. Being a reapplicant sucks for many reasons. Have you taken the MCAT yet? If not, it is another great reason to wait a year to apply. Take the MCAT after an SMP and you will crush it because of everything you learned + new study habits.

I would add Drexel and Cincinnati to your list - Drexel has a program for URMs that gives automatic admission for the following year if you get a certain GPA. Cincinnati grants an automatic interview. Both let you take medical school classes.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who used an SMP to gain acceptance after poor undergrad performance (very similar GPAs to you), here is my advice:

-pick a program that will allow you to take classes alongside medical students and will be graded just like medical students, this way you can definitively prove that you are ready to be successful in medical school
-go with a smaller program because the advising will undoubtedly be better and more helpful

I would hesitate to do a program while applying. If you are already preparing to be unsuccessful, it is best to wait until you are done with the program and apply once you have all your grades and a strong application. Being a reapplicant sucks for many reasons. Have you taken the MCAT yet? If not, it is another great reason to wait a year to apply. Take the MCAT after an SMP and you will crush it because of everything you learned + new study habits.

I would add Drexel and Cincinnati to your list - Drexel has a program for URMs that gives automatic admission for the following year if you get a certain GPA. Cincinnati grants an automatic interview. Both let you take medical school classes.
In addition, pick the cheapest program, and avoid those that are two years long.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to take the MCAT but many of these programs require it and I'm planning on taking it pretty soon. I see what you're saying but I feel my EC's are strong and I have spent much time with my LOR writers so I'm confident in their letters. I think I could get in somewhere if i apply broadly and have a good list. If I don't I would already be enrolled, thats my whole plan.

Could you expound on why being a reapplicant sucks? Some Med Schools themselves have told me they actually view reapps neutral or favorably since it shows you really want to go there.