SMP or PostBacc? Posting my class schedule but need some guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobthesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for being so helpful and it's great to read all your motivational stories on StudentDoc. I'm posting my grades here because I'm deciding between postbacc and SMP (no mcat but am getting mid 20's after a couple months studying, hopefully I can get a 31, 32 come March). My cGPA is 3.2 and my sGPA is 2.8. trend is kinda everywhere although i did start off strong.

Long story short; became too distracted in undergrad with the whole social scene and grades kinda tanked. I have great EC's however. Class president, varsity team captain, multiple publications. I enjoyed in ER and then quit job in banking to purse medicine (yea call me stupid, lucky to get a 6 fig banking job haha, although I left before bonus).

Classes: SMP? or PostBacc? Any specific suggestions? Cheaper the better and of course a place where I can get A's. Although trust me I know what it takes to do well and I'm willing to do it. I was a great student earlier in my career.

Economics Major
Biochem: C-
Upper Level Finance Class: A-
Microbio and Immunology class (this is one class): C+
Upper level Finance: A
Politics 101: B+
Theater 101: B
Genetics: D
Advanced Macro: C+
Econometrics: B
Phys 102 +Lab: B
Stats (not math department): A-
Advanced Micro: C
English Class: A
Phys 101 +Lab: B
Bio 101: B-
Orgo II +Lab: B-/B
Sociology: A
“Athletes only” class: A
Orgo I + Lab: B+/B+
Econ 102: A-
English 101: B
Calc II: C
Gen Chem + Lab: A-/A
Freshman Seminar: b
Calc I: B+
Public Speaking: B+
Gen Chem + Lab: A/A
Econ 101: A
Accounting 101: A
Freshman Seminar: B+

Members don't see this ad.

SMP if you are determined to go MD. Retake anything C or below for DO.

SMP if you are determined to go MD. Retake anything C or below for DO.

I'm not that determined for MD. Want to go int EM.

Is it even worth retaking my C's in classes such advanced microeconoics and advanced macroeconomics?

What about calc II?

Im assuming immunology, genetics, and biochem are musts.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can go EM either MD or DO. No difference really. I would take over everything that is a C or lower. DO gives you grade replacement, MD give you grade average. Do your own post-bacc, take the classes you need. It's the cheapest way.

You can go EM either MD or DO. No difference really. I would take over everything that is a C or lower. DO gives you grade replacement, MD give you grade average. Do your own post-bacc, take the classes you need. It's the cheapest way.
This is good^^

Retake 2-3 science courses and save a ton of money/stress.

I'm not that determined for MD. Want to go int EM.

Is it even worth retaking my C's in classes such advanced microeconoics and advanced macroeconomics?

What about calc II?

Im assuming immunology, genetics, and biochem are musts.

Retake classes that will get your sGPA over 3.0, rock the MCAT, and win.