SMP or Postbacc to increase my chances for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherPre-med

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently been accepted into two respected SMP programs, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I already have a masters from a top tier school focusing on biochemistry, bioinformatics, and genetics. Should I take a year of undergraduate classes this upcoming year and increase my gpa to 3.4 (i would have to take 10 classes), or should i go into a SMP. What would increase my chances for allopathic medical school more? I would love any advice or recommendations regarding this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No bets until an official MCAT score is posted. Hypotheticals don't help.

What's your state residency? What was your undergraduate major? How much shadowing? What type of volunteering did you do? What type of NIH fellowship?

Reactions: 1 user
No bets until an official MCAT score is posted. Hypotheticals don't help.

What's your state residency? What was your undergraduate major? How much shadowing? What type of volunteering did you do? What type of NIH fellowship?
Hello! Thank you for the reply. My in-state residency will be for Pennsylvania, my undergraduate major is biology (chemistry minor), and 300 hours of shadowing (all of my clinical). For my volunteering, I did tutoring for underprivileged kids, volunteered in a soup kitchen, and volunteered in a foundation that works with people who have mental health issues. I did the IRTA postbacc fellowship at NIH. Do you think i should focus on increasing my UGPA (take upper level science courses at a local university) or should I take a SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Off hand I don't know what you can gain with taking more undergraduate courses or taking an SMP given that you have finished a master's degree in a biomedical science. This is a question you can bring to admissions recruiters for their advice; make sure you bring your unofficial transcripts because for me I'd want to see what you took in undergraduate, any evidence of upward trend, and what you took in graduate courses. I would expect and hope you did very well in graduate courses, so the GPA should be high there. The issue will ultimately how this could be "validated" with your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Off hand I don't know what you can gain with taking more undergraduate courses or taking an SMP given that you have finished a master's degree in a biomedical science. This is a question you can bring to admissions recruiters for their advice; make sure you bring your unofficial transcripts because for me I'd want to see what you took in undergraduate, any evidence of upward trend, and what you took in graduate courses. I would expect and hope you did very well in graduate courses, so the GPA should be high there. The issue will ultimately how this could be "validated" with your MCAT.
So, my graduate GPA is 3.88 and it was my hardest academic year. I've heard that SMP has more value than a traditional masters in biomedical science (the one i have finished). Is that true? I'm trying to see how I can remedy my low undergraduate GPA.

So, my graduate GPA is 3.88 and it was my hardest academic year. I've heard that SMP has more value than a traditional masters in biomedical science (the one i have finished). Is that true? I'm trying to see how I can remedy my low undergraduate GPA.
Your graduate program is enough. A smp is unnecessary...the amount of loans you will have prior to entering medical school will be very high if you were to do a smp.

Do you have clinical experiences other than your shadowing? 300 hours of shadowing WAY more than you need. Usually between 50-100 hours is expected. But you do need at last 200 hours of direct patient interaction for clinical experience( not shadowing- they are different). One is passive( shadowing) and one is active.

Your graduate program is enough. A smp is unnecessary...the amount of loans you will have prior to entering medical school will be very high if you were to do a smp.
Do you think I have a shot at MD schools with my current stats?

Do you have clinical experiences other than your shadowing? 300 hours of shadowing WAY more than you need. Usually between 50-100 hours is expected. But you do need at last 200 hours of direct patient interaction for clinical experience( not shadowing- they are different). One is passive( shadowing) and one is active.
So it was 300 hours of clinical shadowing a general surgeon, but I had the chance to interact with the patient as well (during pre-op and post-op). Would that count?

So it was 300 hours of clinical shadowing a general surgeon, but I had the chance to interact with the patient as well (during pre-op and post-op). Would that count?
What were you doing that was clinical with the patient?

There were no clinical interactions, so would you suggest that I get clinical hours that has direct clinical interactions with patients (such as EMT or scribe)?

As mentioned before, you will need to ask any admissions staff this question.