SMP or retake undergrad coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application:

• 35 MCAT, scores are evenly distributed
  • 3.5 undergrad cGPA, 3.3 undergrad sGPA
  • C in a semester of physics; C in a semester of Ochem; C in a semester of Calculus. I got A's in the other semesters of all three of those classes. B+ in Biochem as well as all other upper-level science coursework
  • 1 year of part-time work during school
  • >100 hours of shadowing MD and DO
  • volunteering as a tutor (50hours)
  • volunteering at a free clinic (>100 hours)
  • volunteering at a large medical center (100 hours)
  • a lifetime of practicing a musical instrument
  • 10 years of a sport (varsity letter in highschool, rec-level ever since)
  • 600 hours of research as an undergrad (no pubs)
  • 2100 more hours of research (currently working full-time as a research assistant, no pubs yet)

App History:

• in the 2009-2010 cycle, I applied late and completed secondaries between September and November. I applied to 15 schools but applied to mostly OOS public schools where the odds were stacked against me. Result: 2 interviews (2 rejections), 13 silences that turned into rejections in the spring
  • in the current 2010-2011 cycle, I applied to 23 schools in June. Items shown in blue are activities that I had for this cycle that I did not have last time. My secondaries were all complete within 2 weeks of receipt. I applied broadly to most mid- and low-tier private schools. Results so far: 3 rejections, 3 interviews (2 waitlist, 1 rejection) and 17 silences that, based on my experiences last year, will turn into rejections in the spring

I'm working on my interview skills and continuing to acquire volunteering experiences, but I think my biggest problem is what I wrote in red. I need to know what the best way is to improve this area in case I do not get accepted off of either waitlist and need to apply a third time:

• Should I remain in my current job (research assistant) but switch to part-time and retake the full year of Physics and Ochem? This would allow me keep living at home and save a bit of money. In addition to retaking the courses I received C's in, I would also probably score even higher on an MCAT retake after retaking these classes (even though I am wary about retaking such a high MCAT score). It wouldn't do much to fix my GPA, but it would show that I could get A's in those premed classes
  • Should I apply to SMPs? They are expensive and an enormous risk, but if I got a high GPA, medical schools would feel a lot more comfortable ignoring my low undergrad GPA. I would not be able to live at home or work, so I'd incur 40k or more in loans. And there is always the really unattractive possibility that I score poorly and the SMP completely backfires for me. On a side note, what is considered an acceptable GPA to receive in an SMP program if one wants to have a great chance of getting accepted afterward?

Summary for anyone about to post "tl;dnr": I feel like I'm really on the verge of getting accepted at some of the schools that interview me, and I'm working on improving my interview skills further, but either my low GPA or the C's themselves (or some combination of both) result in me getting outcompeted, even post-interview. I guess my question (SMP or retake undergrad courses) basically comes down to whether you think my GPA is a bigger problem than the C's themselves which contributed to the GPA, and also whether you think that I am close enough to getting accepted that doing an SMP is a terribly stupid risk.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bumping because if I am going to apply to SMPs, I need to do it in a few weeks..

Why is no one helping me? : ( I really want to hear other people's thoughts about what I should do and why

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your GPA is low enough to justify an SMP, and with 3 interviews, your GPA is probably not the problem. Make sure you write letters of interest to the two schools you were waitlisted at to indicate that you would matriculate if accepted, and update letters to the schools you have not heard back from. Most likely, there will be other invites come January.
I would try and relax a little, if possible. And for the love of all that's holy, do not retake your MCAT. It can only go down.
Tulane has a Masters program (I forget what it's called, but I've seen it around these forums) for people who have been waitlisted at a med school. I think something like 90% of their students get into Tulane. You could look into that.

I don't think your GPA is low enough to justify an SMP, and with 3 interviews, your GPA is probably not the problem. Make sure you write letters of interest to the two schools you were waitlisted at to indicate that you would matriculate if accepted, and update letters to the schools you have not heard back from. Most likely, there will be other invites come January.
I would try and relax a little, if possible. And for the love of all that's holy, do not retake your MCAT. It can only go down.
Tulane has a Masters program (I forget what it's called, but I've seen it around these forums) for people who have been waitlisted at a med school. I think something like 90% of their students get into Tulane. You could look into that.

Thank you so much for your very helpful response :love:

If my GPA/C's is not a problem, then I don't know what is... I've had interviewers tell me my LORs are fantastic and that I must have really impressed everyone. And I've had interviewers tell me that they've really liked me and will be recommending me. And after that, I get waitlisted. I don't know what else to think except that my GPA/C's is the problem and that people with higher GPAs are interviewing just as well or better than me.

My thought about retaking the MCAT was based on the fact that last time, I pretty much had completely forgotten ochem completely by the time I took the MCAT, so if I am retaking those classes because I received C's in them, my score can only go up afterwards, right? :scared:

Last, I am very grateful that you informed me about the Tulane program. I'll definitely look into that! I need to have ideas about what to do if I have to reapply to a 3rd application cycle.

Last edited:
Did you get the Cs in the first or second semester of Physics, OChem, and Calc? What were your upper level Bio classes?

Which ECs have you continued through this cycle? Have you updated schools recently with ongoing pertinent activities and a message of continued interest?

Did you get the Cs in the first or second semester of Physics, OChem, and Calc? What were your upper level Bio classes?

Which ECs have you continued through this cycle? Have you updated schools recently with ongoing pertinent activities and a message of continued interest?

Calc (frosh): A/C+
Ochem (soph): A-/C+
Physics (junior): C/A- The way I have been spinning these grades in interviews is that 'my first few years in college, things were coming very easily to me and I hadn't been forced to develop good study habits, so my grades would drop off as I lost steam near the end of each school year; however, in my junior year, for the first time I faced a class that I was very bad at, causing me to work very hard over the whole year and develop the study habits that will also help me succeed in medical school. The reversal of my previous grade trends indicates that I accomplished this. Physics helped me prove to myself that I could work hard over a long period of time and achieve success no matter how difficult and discouraging the coursework seems at first.'

Upper level Bio, including Biochem: almost all B+, As in research

I've been doing 2 different clinical volunteering experiences (in blue) throughout this cycle as well as my full-time research job and, yes, I've sent update letters to all the schools about those activities along with statements of interest. None of those letters has borne any fruit, so I made this thread because I was unsure where to go from here. An SMP seems like a stupid and expensive risk when I'm so close to getting an acceptance, but the thought of applying for a third cycle without trying to fix what seems to be the only weakness in my application is also unappealing. With 120 credit hours under my belt, a post-bacc program won't be useful for my GPA, only for retaking the Cs and turning them into As. The Tulane ACP program sounded nice; are there any other similar programs to which I might also consider applying? I want to have some backups in case I do not get into the Tulane ACP... :(

Other than improving my interview skills, what do you think I should do? :oops:

Considering that your grade dropped in OChem II and that you did not excel in Biochem or other upper-level science, another potential concern for adcomms may be your failure to demonstrate capability of sustained excellent performance in classes similar to those you'd take in med school. Some As in new upper-level Bio would help to overcome that issue, even if it doesn't budge your BCPM GPA by much. An SMP could accomplish this, but so would do-it-yourself postbac classes. I don't think retaking your prerequisite Cs is as important.

Interview skills or lack thereof may well be a contributory factor that we can't judge.

Check out SDN's Postbac Programs Forum for info on programs similar to Tulane's.

Calc (frosh): A/C+
Ochem (soph): A-/C+
Physics (junior): C/A- The way I have been spinning these grades in interviews is that 'my first few years in college, things were coming very easily to me and I hadn't been forced to develop good study habits, so my grades would drop off as I lost steam near the end of each school year; however, in my junior year, for the first time I faced a class that I was very bad at, causing me to work very hard over the whole year and develop the study habits that will also help me succeed in medical school. The reversal of my previous grade trends indicates that I accomplished this. Physics helped me prove to myself that I could work hard over a long period of time and achieve success no matter how difficult and discouraging the coursework seems at first.'

Upper level Bio, including Biochem: almost all B+, As in research

I've been doing 2 different clinical volunteering experiences (in blue) throughout this cycle as well as my full-time research job and, yes, I've sent update letters to all the schools about those activities along with statements of interest. None of those letters has borne any fruit, so I made this thread because I was unsure where to go from here. An SMP seems like a stupid and expensive risk when I'm so close to getting an acceptance, but the thought of applying for a third cycle without trying to fix what seems to be the only weakness in my application is also unappealing. With 120 credit hours under my belt, a post-bacc program won't be useful for my GPA, only for retaking the Cs and turning them into As. The Tulane ACP program sounded nice; are there any other similar programs to which I might also consider applying? I want to have some backups in case I do not get into the Tulane ACP... :(

Other than improving my interview skills, what do you think I should do? :oops:

I'm not sure that's the best way to spin it. Saying that classes were so hard that you had to completely change your outlook kinda sends the wrong message. As dumb as it might sound, it might be best to say you slacked off a little bit that year, but regained your composure. Your MCAT makes them think you're smart. Don't let them think you're smart because you spent 16 hours a day studying... imho

I wanted to bump this thread--not to brag, but rather to update the awesome, helpful people who gave me advice and hopefully contribute to their already well-developed sense of admissions outcomes.

I ended up applying to 24 schools total. My list was comprised almost completely of low- and mid-tier private schools, as well as my state schools. I received 8 interview invites. I received only 1 post-interview rejection. I had acceptances at 2 schools prior to May 15. I was waitlisted at the remaining 5 schools and withdrew from one of them. I was accepted off 1 waitlist in early June, giving me 3 total acceptances. I was eventually rejected from the remaining 3 waitlists. I think doing an SMP would have been a huge mistake.

Again, thank you very much for your helpful advice and keep doing a great job of advising everyone.

P.S. I'm done using this multiaccount to post my academic stats now, so it can be deactivated/banned/whatever if a mod wishes to do so.

I wanted to bump this thread--not to brag, but rather to update the awesome, helpful people who gave me advice and hopefully contribute to their already well-developed sense of admissions outcomes.

I ended up applying to 24 schools total. My list was comprised almost completely of low- and mid-tier private schools, as well as my state schools. I received 8 interview invites. I received only 1 post-interview rejection. I had acceptances at 2 schools prior to May 15. I was waitlisted at the remaining 5 schools and withdrew from one of them. I was accepted off 1 waitlist in early June, giving me 3 total acceptances. I was eventually rejected from the remaining 3 waitlists. I think doing an SMP would have been a huge mistake.

Again, thank you very much for your helpful advice and keep doing a great job of advising everyone.

P.S. I'm done using this multiaccount to post my academic stats now, so it can be deactivated/banned/whatever if a mod wishes to do so.
Congrats on a successful outcome. Did you employ any particular strategies that you think were helpful?

Congrats on a successful outcome. Did you employ any particular strategies that you think were helpful?

I needed to go into interviews prepared to answer questions about why I got the C's in various classes. I explained what had gone badly (time management/study skills) and how I had learned from it and conquered later undergrad coursework, and what I would do in medical school to avoid making the same mistakes (for instance, every time I take a break and get on the internet, I could set a kitchen timer for 10minutes; otherwise, I might waste over an hour without realizing it).

The biggest problem was that I was just a poor interviewer in general due to struggling to find the right words to express myself precisely, and I needed a lot more experience to make things go more smoothly--I was definitely a lot better in 2010 than in 2009, and I definitely improved my results a lot over the course of the 2010 season.

Tulane DOES have an SMP. I considered it and, looking back, I would have done it.

Master's in Anatomical Sciences (you'll take all the courses the first year MD students take, and probably TA them the year after.)