SMP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STH16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that they will be more complicated then than undergrad versions and will help me prepare me for medical school. My concern is that adcoms are going to look at my grades in these classes and discount my performance because I have already been exposed to the material.

And other questions:
How much does school reputation and linkage agreements matter?
When should you consider a smp over a postbac?
> Relevant history
My cc GPA was 3.75 and my 4 yr cGPA was 3.45 (sGPA around 3.40). My overall cGPA is 3.68 and sGPA is 3.54.
my cc gpa has bit a "u" shaped trend, ending with a 3.95 for my last year.
My 4 yr gpa kind of had an upward trend: 3.23/3.16 (C in biochem) /3.86/3.39
I have completed a total of 197 UG units.
You don't need an SMP, just a good MCAT and a strategic list.

And other questions:
> Relevant history
My cc GPA was 3.75 and my 4 yr cGPA was 3.45 (sGPA around 3.40). My overall cGPA is 3.68 and sGPA is 3.54.
my cc gpa has bit a "u" shaped trend, ending with a 3.95 for my last year.
My 4 yr gpa kind of had an upward trend: 3.23/3.16 (C in biochem) /3.86/3.39
I have completed a total of 197 UG units.
I agree that you don't need an SMP, but considering your GPA dipped your last year at the university (we call that a downward trend), you might consider three postbac upper-level science classes, provided you earn all As in them. AMCAS has a separate line for undergrad postbac coursework, but the GPA earned is incorporated into the cumulative undergrad application GPAs. You want your AMCAS transcript to show a clear, terminal rise in your BCPM GPA. These classes won't increase your GPA by much, but it will look very good to see recent academic excellence in med school-relevant coursework.

I know that they will be more complicated then than undergrad versions and will help me prepare me for medical school. My concern is that adcoms are going to look at my grades in these classes and discount my performance because I have already been exposed to the material.

As a teaching moment, we don't' think that way. Grad school course will be more in depth, if not more intense than UG courses. We DO expect you do to well in them!

SMPs are a dime-a-dozen, so at my school, wee look at how people do, to where they went for their SMP.
The whole point of doing an SMP at a host med school is that it's the back back door in, and there ideally be some sort of linkage, even if only a guaranteed interview.

I cover this here:
Goro’s Guide Reinvention for Pre-Meds