• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

RGTS

7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am planning on and have spoken to EVMS' medical masters, who say I'm competitive but with my MCAT being decent I am wondering what my shot at DO school is this cycle and if it's worth exploring. My primary concern is not getting in and then being a reapplicant the following year. Thank you for your time!
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • 3.04 cGPA, 2.89 (MD)/3.03 (DO) sGPA
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • 511, 127/127/127/130
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • White male, currently live in Virginia and have for the past 3 years,but I'm a FL resident, switching to VA soon especially if I get out of the Army in the near future.
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • Small/medium state school in Maryland, has a great rapport with PCOM
    • Nontrad, graduated in 2013
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • Conservatively, 6000 hours scribing between 2011 and 2015. A little over 4 years at ~30 hr/wk
  • Research experience and productivity
    • Primarily ecology research, two conference papers, 2nd/4th author respectively
    • One additional poster
    • Summer internship for research, altogether ~500 hours between undergrad/internship
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • Retinologist, 20 hours
    • For the SMP I am applying to, an advisor suggested getting more recent clinical experience but with COVID it's basically impossible for the foreseeable future
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 40 hours coordinating a bone marrow registration drive while deployed to the Middle East via Salute to Life.
    • 40 hours hospice, providing companionship as well as holding ceremonies to recognize veterans in hospice (pinning w/ certificates). I'm the only active duty volunteer in my area. Unfortunately COVID kicked off this year so I haven’t been able to go much
    • 100 hours at a library back home helping with events for kids and their public outreach program, 2015-2016 timeframe
    • 15 hours during research time to help run programs for science teachers, learning how to mistnet for birds and turtle trap/mark turtle shells
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Current active duty Army diver, ~90% attrition rate in training. Been on missions to find remains of servicemembers lost at war as well as things like pulling derelict fishing nets out of the Puget Sound to prevent them from damaging local wildlife
    • Instructor for a BSEP class (100 hours) while deployed, which was basically teaching science and English to Soldiers so they could improve their ASVAB scores to get better opportunities within the Army. Every person (12) I taught reached their goal score for the job they wanted.
    • played intramural sports in college for four years (won a co-ed softball championship lol)
    • NAUI Master SCUBA diver
    • Lifeguard certified, have ~100 hours lifeguarding on base at the community pool
    • CPR/AED/combat lifesaver certified
    • Stuff for my job like SAP (material management) and underwater welding
    • Substitute Teacher for a year in a low income area
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • I won a major competition in the Army in 2019 for a command with tens of thousands of people and dozens of competitors. Don’t want to get too specific but I made it one level from the top tier for the entire Army. Involved a board to test knowledge as well as Army skills like rucking, shooting, physical fitness, land navigation etc.
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • I am current a non-comissioned officer in a leadership position, primarily in charge of maintaining the equipment for my dive team, quantifiably it is several million dollars in gear

Last edited:

PigsHaveWings

Dokter or Professional PickleBaller
May 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
1. have you considered applying to the uniformed services medical school (if you are willing to serve further) in bethesda. with your background, u may have a good shot there for MD, and it would be close to your current home.

2. your GPA is low, however with your MCAT and good extracurriculars are very much in range for DO schools. If you do a masters/post bac and get a GPA boost, that will make you more competitive for MD

best of luck, and thank you very much for all your service in the military, to protect our country.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

RGTS

7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
1. have you considered applying to the uniformed services medical school (if you are willing to serve further) in bethesda. with your background, u may have a good shot there for MD, and it would be close to your current home.

2. your GPA is low, however with your MCAT and good extracurriculars are very much in range for DO schools. If you do a masters/post bac and get a GPA boost, that will make you more competitive for MD

best of luck, and thank you very much for all your service in the military, to protect our country.

Yes I've definitely considered USUHS, I'm from Maryland originally so I think I'd enjoy it. Part of the reason I am leaning SMP is because it's covered by my GI bill and would open doors for me, especially closer to where my wife and I want to live (EVMS, VCU, UMD etc). PCOM has always been high on my list regardless, though. I have heard a lot of good things and know a ton of PCOM graduates.

And thank you for your reply and support.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
MU-COM
UNECOM
WCU-COM

Reactions: 1 user

RGTS

7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@Goro

Do you mind giving your opinion as well?

I am applying to VCU and EVMS' SMPs, do you feel that doing well in either of those would give me a better shot at MD? I am fine with DO I just want to do my best to stay in VA/MD/PA/NC area.

RGTS

7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I thought VCU's SMP had an sGPA requirement of 3.2?

My GPA on my transcript is 3.255, 3.04 is my calculated one for AACOMAS. I emailed them my stats/PS and they said I'd be competitive, they don't calculate your GPA past what is on your transcript.

There's a dude on SDN that had worse stats than me and did the CERT, ended up getting into VCU.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.