SMP weight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status Sciaticus

Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what level of consideration is given to an SMP? the classes are the same as MS1 take if anyone was wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

are you trying to tell a premed forum what an SMP is? from what I understand, SMPs are used in conjunction with a low GPA to show you can handle med school. They are very expensive, can look good, but I also understand that if you don't do awesome, it will torch any chance of medical school in the future.

From what I understand, doesn't the TCOM SMP only have one medical school class and the other classes in the medical masters are graduate level? Obviously, you must honor/A the class, but I'm not sure how it stacks up against "full" SMP like EVMS, Cincy, and Drexel IMS. Obviously people have gotten into medical schools with this program. Be sure your GPA isn't too low when you actually apply though, so the SMP will be able to def help you with your application later on.

Does anyone know what level of consideration is given to an SMP? the classes are the same as MS1 take if anyone was wondering.
This varies by school. It can have a significant impact if one excels (they say 3.5 GPA, but a better goal is 3.7+ GPA) for those schools that give greater weight to most recent coursework or for those that allow an SMP to completely override poor undergrad work. Of course, the programs are competitive, so since one's most recent coursework would already give evidence that one could succeed in such a program, by the time you applied to med schools you'd have more than a year of "upward grade trend" to reassure adcomms that you can perform consistently.