Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SMP weight

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by GandalfTheWhite, Aug 13, 2011.

1. GandalfTheWhite

GandalfTheWhite Chillin in Isengard
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Does anyone know what level of consideration is given to an SMP? the classes are the same as MS1 take if anyone was wondering.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    are you trying to tell a premed forum what an SMP is? from what I understand, SMPs are used in conjunction with a low GPA to show you can handle med school. They are very expensive, can look good, but I also understand that if you don't do awesome, it will torch any chance of medical school in the future.

4. leggo

Pre-Medical
    From what I understand, doesn't the TCOM SMP only have one medical school class and the other classes in the medical masters are graduate level? Obviously, you must honor/A the class, but I'm not sure how it stacks up against "full" SMP like EVMS, Cincy, and Drexel IMS. Obviously people have gotten into medical schools with this program. Be sure your GPA isn't too low when you actually apply though, so the SMP will be able to def help you with your application later on.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

This varies by school. It can have a significant impact if one excels (they say 3.5 GPA, but a better goal is 3.7+ GPA) for those schools that give greater weight to most recent coursework or for those that allow an SMP to completely override poor undergrad work. Of course, the programs are competitive, so since one's most recent coursework would already give evidence that one could succeed in such a program, by the time you applied to med schools you'd have more than a year of "upward grade trend" to reassure adcomms that you can perform consistently.