SMW, How's New York?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Holliday

Enzyme Regulators, Ride!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing your name pop up. Shouldn't you be at an interview right now? ;) How is it going in the Big Apple? dh

Members don't see this ad.

What's up, Doc? The Big Apple is great! :) I actually only passed through it long enough for an overnight with my student host at Columbia before my morning interview there (wouldn't you know I got the one interviewer there known to be intense and a little difficult? :rolleyes: ) before getting on a Greyhound (thanks, Watcha! :D -- I took the subway to get to the Port Authority! big stuff for a little Alaska girl, but no prob, just like you said, Scooby :cool: ) to Albany where I arrived just in time for the evening informational meeting with students, met my host, and went out for a drink. Did the Albany interview and tour this morning and then jumped back on the Greyhound and am now back in NYC for the weekend. Whooppeee!! I made it through two interviews and have 2 free days in NYC!!! :D Off to actually see the Big Apple with my college roommate who is doing the starving actress/waitress thing here. Will post more about my interviews when I get home, but it's been strangely comforting to be in touch with SDNers while here. Thanks guys, for all your help. Couldn't have done it without you! :)

SMW,

Do you recommend the informational meeting? How's travel in Albany?

I can't wait to get the skinny from you before I head up on the 4th!

Members don't see this ad :)
SMW,
Didn't know you were interviewing in NY. Your interviews are probably already over, however, I wanted to take some time and wish you luck. Be well.

Tweetie

Yup, best of luck from me too! You're probably done by now, but hey, a little luck never hurt anybody!

I'm curious to know what you think of New York... I imagine Alaska is close enough to Manitoba to say we're coming from a similar background! I've never been there before, and the closest I've come was two days in Chicago six years ago. I've spent most of my life in little towns and a few big cities, so I'm trying to decide if New York is too big a jump for me. ;)

I've applied to Cornell, but I might not follow through... I think I'd rather stay in a nice small college town for medical school. It might be a little too much to adjust from a town of 500 to a town of 20 million, and go to medical school at the same time!

Hi SMW,

I hope your interview went well...I'm sure though that you did fine. Did you like Columbia? How about the students? Who was your interviewer? I'm interviewing on the 19th and am looking forward to seeing New York and the campus.

Nick

HEy SMW, I want to send you a PM but I can't. I just wanted to make a few comments about Columbia...

smw,

how long did the train from albany to nyc take. and how much $$?

Hi all, thanks for the kind good wishes! :) Both my interviews went well, although Columbia was by far more stressful. I interviewed with Dr. Hoke, who alternated between being nice/chatty and stern/professional/businesslike. Therefore the interview had a very choppy feel to it, although I think I answered most questions well (except for the first one... I was soooooo nervous, but got over it.) And he actually told me that Columbia loves musicians (he and I are both musicians, so that was the chatty part of the interview). :D At Albany I mostly chatted with both interviewers about Alaska and fishing (one had worked for the Indian Health Service in Alaska and the other loved to fish).

SwampMan: Yes, I recommend the meeting. Took cabs between Greyhound station and the school ($4-$5). Students all seem to have cars and -- this is totally unrelated to your question -- great senses of humor. Spent the evening after the meeting laughing a lot!

brandonite: well, I went to school in the Bay Area and loved San Francisco (although I didn't live in the city). I've also spent a fair amount of time in Chicago -- one whole summer, plus lots of visits. Other than that, I've lived my whole life in Anchorage, a city of about 250,000. Is that similar to Manitoba? Anyway, I kind of like the big city lights. I'll probably come back and practice in Alaska after medschool and residency (assuming I get in!) so I wouldn't mind having the experience of big city living just to have done it. And I'm a musician, so I love the cultural opportunities.

Nicholas: I absolutely loved Columbia. Although there is no campus per se, just a lot of tall buildings! I tried to wander around it the day before my interview, but security was so tight I couldn't get in anywhere. However the school and the students were awesome, and my student hostess was unbelievably friendly and helpful.

moo: I'll change my profile so you can PM me.

ssd: I ended up taking Greyhound which cost $60 roundtrip and took about 2 hours. Amtrak is $88 roundtrip and takes an hour longer.

Back to seeing those big city lights! :D