Snacks, breaks, and bathroom breaks on test day.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I took my first full-length practice MCAT today, and I was starving after the 5 hours were over! I know the breaks are only 10 mins, but is one able to bring a snack to eat during that time? Or do you have to just stuff your face before the test? :p How about bathroom breaks? I'm one of those girls with a pea-sized bladder, and I'm worried that there will be a line or something and I won't get to go within the 10 mins. Knowing me, I'll need to go several times during the 5 hrs.

Finally, if you're not taking a bathroom break, what do you suggest doing during the test breaks? Just close your eyes and chill out? Having such a long break was actually more anxiety-inducing for me, so I only took 5 min breaks this time around. Thanks SO much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can (and should) bring snacks to eat during your breaks. You will be given a locker in which you will have to store everything you take to the test center (with the exception of your ID and the locker key, which will be sitting on the desk in your cubicle). As for the bathrooms, that will depend on your particular test site. You might want to ask around and see what people have to say about the site(s) you are considering. You can most likely visit your test center in advance to check out the bathrooms, monitors, etc. You probably want to call first, though.

And if you have nothing to do on your breaks, get up and walk around. Maybe go to the bathroom even if you don't feel the urge. That way, you won't need to empty your pea-sized bladder during a test section.

Thanks SO much! I'm really hoping I can go pee! Just in case anyone here knows, how is the bathroom situation in the Chicago testing centers? I will try to ask around! :) I am just assuming that there will like 20+ people taking the test and maybe only a few bathrooms. I am way too anxious about this!

well when u gotta go u gotta go... public humiliation or gettin the pee thing over with and movin on to nxt section?! in that case, i'll personally pick the end of a not very crowded hallway lol

im sure u'lll be too excited for verbal or bio that u'll prob forget to pee, make sure u do afterwards tho

Thanks SO much! I'm really hoping I can go pee! Just in case anyone here knows, how is the bathroom situation in the Chicago testing centers? I will try to ask around! :) I am just assuming that there will like 20+ people taking the test and maybe only a few bathrooms. I am way too anxious about this!

People are often all at different sections of the test at different times. As they check people in, they start the exam. So you won't all start at exactly 8am...some will start before, some later. So it's not like there's going to be a huge line at the bathroom because everyone's leaving for break at once...you may be the only one with a break at that time. I haven't taken it myself though so I'm not entirely sure about the bathroom situation at breaks.

And definitely bring a snack to eat during break! But don't expect to use all 10 min of the break...I would be back to enter the room again with ~2 min left in case someone in front of you is having trouble getting their fingerprint rescanned or something.