snake bite venom "extractor kit"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that these things were a joke, but heard somebody mention it today. Do they actually work?

Members don't see this ad.

I was always under the impression that these things were a joke, but heard somebody mention it today. Do they actually work?

Nope. Those venom extractor kits just suck (bah-dum-a-dum <rimshot>). d=)

Sorry couldn't resist. Here's something more appropriate for the discussion: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14747805/?

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sean, and totally give credit to him... forgot where I'd read it before. d=)

It's all good. Although you should change your location from the windy city to the submerged city.

What's your take on Eric Lavonas' consensus document on snakebites? Some of the criticism of the old severity scoring was that it wasn't validated, but technically, neither is the consensus statement.
Do you think it sets people in high liability states to have to give more CroFab to copperhead bites?

It's all good. Although you should change your location from the windy city to the submerged city.

What's your take on Eric Lavonas' consensus document on snakebites? Some of the criticism of the old severity scoring was that it wasn't validated, but technically, neither is the consensus statement.
Do you think it sets people in high liability states to have to give more CroFab to copperhead bites?

I like Eric's take... I think it's validated for clearly appropriately identified bites; but rather than push people to have to give, I think it adds a layer of defense if it's given, as anaphylaxis is a real concern.

Also, gaining & maintaining control is easier earlier, so pulling the trigger sooner (theoretically) requires fewer doses - cost containment - vs waiting until effects are clearly present is a risk/benefit issue. Eric's paper defends this practice, and tries to set up a construct for better studies to actually look at validatable outcomes.

Cheers!
-d

PS - we're mostly dried out now... only the low lying ex-swamps are still, well, swamped. d=)