Snobbery...does it exist between instiutions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in Philly and UPENN knows its the best of the 5 med schools here. Jefferson thinks that its just a cut below and that the other 3 are lesser schools. I know someone who interviewed at UW and those people say that MCP shouldn't even be accreditited.

What's the deal I thought that a US allopathic school no matter which one is still pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

No.....................YEAH!!!

Two letters: UF! I think every state has its snob.

New York schools seemed to be all in a big brawl when I was there. Sinai was the least aggressive out of all of them in attacking any other schools. Cornell and Columbia seem to have a bitter little quibble. NYU seems to try to start stuff with everyone. Einstein is outside the ring chanting it on :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went to interview at Northwestern it seemed like they had a chip on their shoulder...due to the fact that UChicago gets all of the notoriety and publicity for schools in the Chicago area

As far as California snobs go, NOBODY rivals Stanford. I think the UCs are pretty much humble, due to the fact that they are state-funded schools.

Reactions: 1 user
•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady in red:
•As far as California snobs go, NOBODY rivals Stanford. I think the UCs are pretty much humble, due to the fact that they are state-funded schools.•••••UCSF might be humble, but it still knows its the best of them all.

UCSFreak (could you explain the freak part of your screen name? :confused: just kidding)
Anyways, yes, UCSF seems pretty modest; as far as I noticed, they don't sit there and argue 'who's the prettiest of them all'. They just subtly note that they are... :D

From my experiences, Hopkins tends to be a little snobbish in general. However, I get the feel that the school gets along well with U Maryland, as well as the surrounding community. I know several Hopkins professors have trained in the Maryland Shock Trauma Center. In general, the community seems to embrace having both Hopkins and Maryland for their benefit.

As far as med students are concerned, I don't know enough to comment about a Maryland-Hopkins rivalry, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hopkins students would tend to be a little full of themselves.

Just my opinion . . .

I can speak about the Hopkins and the University of Maryland's relationship part. I go to Maryland so this is from a Maryland student's perspective. We do share some professors with them, and I know of several faculty that are considered on staff faculty at here and Hopkins, I don't know how that works though, because the professors that I know that have appointments at Hopkins seem to spend all their time at my school. I know that sometimes academic physicians come to Maryland to work instead of Hopkins, because on average, Maryland pays their faculty more then Hopkins (Hopkins expects their faculty to work for less in order to have the priveledge of working under the Hopkins name, according to two of professors who trained at Hopkins). There are also some joint training programs between the two schools (the plastic surgery residency is a shared program between the two schools, and there are other programs that make use of both school's facilities as well). The two schools are fairly close by location, so each one does try to offer different services for the baltimore area (Maryland does shock trauma for all adults in Maryland, Hopkins gets the kids). There is also some interaction between the med students, we do a community health fair together every year and we invite each other to see each other's speakers every now and then. In terms of total number of beds, Maryland actually has the larger hospital between the two, Maryland's main hospital has 750 beds whereas Hopkins has ~650, and Maryland also has it several affiliated hospitals that are either attached or very close by (the largest VA in Maryland, a very large psychiatric center, etc). University of Maryland has the largest psychiatric residency training program in the nation ever since our merger with Shepard Pratt. The University of Maryland also does the most kidney transplants in the nation, and we have the largest shock trauma center in the nation as well (that's what we are known for in the nation among the medical community). I'm not sure, but I think that we do more sports medicine then Hopkins, we supply the physicians for the Baltimore Ravens (though we do that for advertising), and we advertise for sports medicine a lot too. I'm sure that I don't have to sell Hopkins to you too, but to be fair I will try to point out some of the things that they do more of then Maryland. They do have more of a international reputation, and also they do several times the amount of research that we do at our school, both in terms of clinical research and basic science research. Also they get international patients as well as famous/rich/political figures flying in from around the world as patients, so they must be doing something right :) . I imagine that the see more cancer patients then we do too, even though we have our cancer center as well. But all things considered, there is no real rivalry between the two schools, at least from my school's perspective. I don't know, maybe a Hopkins student would know if they ever get tired of being in Maryland's shadow all the time :wink:

I'm sure Maryland's hospitals are fine, but do you really think they compare to Hopkins?

Hopkins hospital has been ranked #1 in the world for like 10 years in a row now. I'm sure that Maryland hospitals have some areas that are better than Hopkins, but they are few and far between.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Bubba Swamp:
•No.....................YEAH!!!

Two letters: UF! I think every state has its snob.•••••I'm with Bubba!! UF thinks way too highly of themselves.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady in red:
•As far as California snobs go, NOBODY rivals Stanford. I think the UCs are pretty much humble, due to the fact that they are state-funded schools.•••••That's really unfortunate that you got that impression. I have to say that in my four years as an undergrad there and my two years working full-time at the medical center, I never saw anything but the utmost respect from Stanford physicians and students for their counterparts at UCSF and UC-Davis, as well as the other California schools.

"unfortunately," many many people during their visits to stanford get that impression, including me. <shrug>

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lilycat:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by lady in red:
•As far as California snobs go, NOBODY rivals Stanford. I think the UCs are pretty much humble, due to the fact that they are state-funded schools.•••••That's really unfortunate that you got that impression. I have to say that in my four years as an undergrad there and my two years working full-time at the medical center, I never saw anything but the utmost respect from Stanford physicians and students for their counterparts at UCSF and UC-Davis, as well as the other California schools.•••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:
•"unfortunately," many many people during their visits to stanford get that impression, including me. <shrug>
•••••I'm not sure what your point is with the "unfortunate" in quotes, but I guess I just wanted to point out that in 6 years of experience with the school, I think that impression is somewhat unjustified. Maybe there's just a real tool in the admissions office who is pissing people off, but I think if you actually interact with most of the students and physicians there, you will not find this attitude to be the norm. I also have to wonder about how much of this may be due to preconceived notions on the part of applicants who interview at Stanford. You seem to have an extremely negative and hostile attitude toward Stanford in your previous posts, and I just wonder how much of that is actually due to your interactions with members of the medical school and medical community there, and how much of it is due to other outside factors. I don't think any school is perfect, as much as some applicants wish this to be the case -- each school has it's good and bad points. But I feel like lately, Stanford has been getting a not wholly deserved bashing on these threads. As a fairly disinterested third party (since I don't go to Stanford Med and had a love-hate relationship with their undergrad), I felt that it was necessary to try and balance some of the negativity.

lilycat,

i've just unfortunately met a surprisingly large bunch of people at stanford that are pretty dang snobby. that is 95% of why i have a negative attitude; the other 5% is because i think stanford med is overrated.

i do, however, realize that there are many stanford people that are great, friendly, generous, down-to-earth, and humble (including my best friend that goes there -- and you, of course! heh), so i'll just shut up about stanford from now on on sdn.

:wink:

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:
•"unfortunately," many many people during their visits to stanford get that impression, including me. <shrug>
•••••I'm not sure what your point is with the "unfortunate" in quotes, but I guess I just wanted to point out that in 6 years of experience with the school, I think that impression is somewhat unjustified. Maybe there's just a real tool in the admissions office who is pissing people off, but I think if you actually interact with most of the students and physicians there, you will not find this attitude to be the norm. I also have to wonder about how much of this may be due to preconceived notions on the part of applicants who interview at Stanford. You seem to have an extremely negative and hostile attitude toward Stanford in your previous posts, and I just wonder how much of that is actually due to your interactions with members of the medical school and medical community there, and how much of it is due to other outside factors. I don't think any school is perfect, as much as some applicants wish this to be the case -- each school has it's good and bad points. But I feel like lately, Stanford has been getting a not wholly deserved bashing on these threads. As a fairly disinterested third party (since I don't go to Stanford Med and had a love-hate relationship with their undergrad), I felt that it was necessary to try and balance some of the negativity.•••••

• •••quote:••••••••Maybe there's just a real tool in the admissions office who is pissing people off .. . [/QB]••••You nailed it on the head, at least for my experience. I left my interview almost angry at the treatment I recieved by a particular tool in the admissions office who decided to, I guess be my third interview right before the day was over. He was disgustingly snobbish and questioned everything in my application even my grades as if someone like me must of somehow cheated along the line or lied to even have gotten an interview at Stanford.

I was so turned off to see that someone of high rank at Stanford could be so pretensious, presumptious, obnoxious and arrogant.

I do have to say that my other two interviewers were very nice and humble as were the students I ran into, with maybe the exception of one student.

Snobbery? Nope, it doesn't happen here in Cambridge, MA. We simply think that the other institution down the river is a vocational tech school, that Yale is a safety school, and that Hopkins is an HMS wannabe. :D

j/k...

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by lady in red:
•As far as California snobs go, NOBODY rivals Stanford. I think the UCs are pretty much humble, due to the fact that they are state-funded schools.•••••That's really unfortunate that you got that impression. I have to say that in my four years as an undergrad there and my two years working full-time at the medical center, I never saw anything but the utmost respect from Stanford physicians and students for their counterparts at UCSF and UC-Davis, as well as the other California schools.•••••Two things:

First, I know a lot of nurses that work at a hospital affiliated with both Stanford and UCSF. They HATE Stanford med students, because they are very arrogant, pushy, etc. They LOVE the UCSF med students. That's just what they tell me.

Second, I grew up less than 2 miles from Stanford, and I can say from a lifetime of observations, including friends that attended Stanford, meeting other alumni, following local politics, etc., that there is a TON of institutional arrogance at Stanford. From the top down that institution breeds arrogance and a sense of entitlement. I don't know about the med school in particular -- I'm just making a general statement about the entire university. Of course there will be exceptions.

Sigh.

For those of you that want to believe that Stanford is snobby or has some sense of entitlement, fine, I can't change that. All I can do is try to offer the other side of the picture, which is that I didn't find that to be the case at all with the med school. And actually, not super significant with the university as a whole.

As for the comment about the nurses and Stanford and UCSF med students, I've never heard that. I'm not doubting your information bjc, I'm just saying that my experience never yielded that kind of information. I'm sure the nurses respect the UCSF students, but I never heard a ton of bitching about the Stanford students. On the other hand, the nurses obviously have far more exposure to Stanford students than to UCSF students, so it stands to reason that the odds are better of running into "bad apples" from Stanford more often than running into "bad apples" from UCSF. I feel that your scenario is leading up to the blanket statement "All UCSF students are humble and salt-of-the-earth people and all Stanford students are arrogant little whiners." I hope we can agree that both statements would be grossly false.

My only other point would be about pre-established conceptions that people bring with them when they interview at various schools, or meet people from various schools. Private schools that are publicly well-regarded, like Stanford, have a tendency to be perceived as snobby, or bastions of the well-heeled elite. While there may be some basis (either in the present or the past) for such stereotypes, stereotypes obviously do not represent the whole picture. I think that preconceived notions can greatly color one's experiences and lead to biased judgments. A statement from a Cal-State or UC student may be considered to be completely harmless, but coming from a Stanford student, people may infer snobbish or elitist undertones into that statement that really did not exist -- simply because the "Stanford" name projects certain stereotyped images (as I have mentioned). What may be considered simply as institutional pride at UCLA or UCSD may be misconstrued as snobbism if the same behavior occurs at Stanford or another private school.

All I can say is to reiterate my experience as a student and an employee at that school. The medical faculty, staff, and students that I met were mostly excellent and very respectful of their colleagues from other nearby institutions. There are snobs and arrogant pricks at the school, certainly. But, I doubt there are significantly more of such people at Stanford than at say, UCLA or UCI, based on personal experience of having attended summer session with students from those schools.

I was surprised to hear the Stanford bashing. Everyone I met when I interviewed there, from the office personnel to the students to my interviewers, was so nice and friendly! I enjoyed my visit so much that I moved it 3 spots to #2 on my med school list. :) Fantastic school, laid-back environment, cool people... what more do you ask for?

lilycat, as you know, i disagree with you

but you sure know how to defend your alma mater well. nicely written :D