Snowbirding as a dentist- need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeagueofLigTies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend has his heart set on moving to Florida for the warmer weather, as we’re currently living in NY. I will be finishing up dental school here in NY, and would generally like to stay here for most of the year, but to compromise I’d consider snowbirding to Florida instead of completely moving. I really don’t want to end our relationship over this. Is it possible to somehow snowbird as a dentist, or is this not practical work wise?

*edit- I’m planning on taking all the necessary exams here/getting licensed here and possibly doing a GPR, or other residency as I’m not sure what specialty I want to go into yet. I’m not sure how the licensing in Florida differs from New York

Members don't see this ad.

Is this even possible given Fl licensure requirements?
I have no idea, I’m still in school so I’m not sure about the requirements in each state. Would you be able to elaborate? Can you be licensed in two different states at once?

I know someone who does this. You can be licensed in one or all 50 states, there is no limit. He owns his practice in the Northeast and has associates working there all year. He goes down to FL on a schedule throughout the year but I believe he does not practice there. He and his spouse started this after the kids finished at least high school. I think people who technically snowbird have it figured out on how many days they spend in FL to claim the residency benefits and keep records showing their travels if audited because of the large discrepancy in state income taxes between NY and FL.

I mean anything is possible. I would think all that traveling would get exhausting after a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who does this. You can be licensed in one or all 50 states, there is no limit. He owns his practice in the Northeast and has associates working there all year. He goes down to FL on a schedule throughout the year but I believe he does not practice there. He and his spouse started this after the kids finished at least high school. I think people who technically snowbird have it figured out on how many days they spend in FL to claim the residency benefits and keep records showing their travels if audited because of the large discrepancy in state income taxes between NY and FL.

I mean anything is possible. I would think all that traveling would get exhausting after a while.
Thank you! I guess this could work if you own a practice as you stated. If you’re an associate, I don’t think it would be possible

I have no idea, I’m still in school so I’m not sure about the requirements in each state. Would you be able to elaborate? Can you be licensed in two different states at once?
Florida has changed its dental license rule. In order to get a dental license now, one must practice X hours in Florida the following year or the license is revoked. The state boards seems to be trying to prevent exactly the part-time work you are planning. Go read the state board’s website.

Reactions: 3 users
Florida has changed its dental license rule. In order to get a dental license now, one must practice X hours in Florida the following year or the license is revoked. The state boards seems to be trying to prevent exactly the part-time work you are planning. Go read the state board’s website.
Thanks! I will

My understanding is that Florida is one of the toughest states for licensing in the US.

Reactions: 1 users
Not really. Just practice here after residency or consistently practice dentistry
They have a use-it-or-lost-it policy. Doesn’t affect dentists who practice full time there, but for anyone hoping to hold the license and practice elsewhere, it becomes a problem.

Related question, I’m a D0 at Penn who also takes the adex. Is it relatively easy to come back to Florida (where I live) to practice? Not sure if it matters but I plan on specializing so it wouldn’t be within a year of obtaining my dental license (feel like I read something about that somewhere)

Related question, I’m a D0 at Penn who also takes the adex. Is it relatively easy to come back to Florida (where I live) to practice? Not sure if it matters but I plan on specializing so it wouldn’t be within a year of obtaining my dental license (feel like I read something about that somewhere)
As long as you will stay in Florida to practice full time, you are fine.

Reactions: 1 users