Snowboarding/skiing ophthalmologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TropicalFish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably not the best thing to have as a hobby, since it's a liability, but for those who do snowboard/ski, do you use any protective wrist guards or anything to suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

If you snowboard you should definitely wear wrist guards. You don't want to break your hand or wrist and miss out on 6 or 8 weeks of operating.

A prominent ophthalmologist at Utah broke his neck (c6-c7) a few years ago skiing. He's a very experience skier (40+ years doing it). Fortunately, he was able to recover and is operating again, but it's still something you have to consider.

You also have to make sure you don't damage your feet/ankles, or knees. We use the footpetals all the time, and it's a lot harder to do things smoothly if you have to use one foot for both petals (plus just positioning is more difficult if one of your legs is casted/braced).

Dave

I think that you are valid in considering the risks of what you do as it pertains to your possible livelyhood, BUT if we become so risk adverse as to stop doing the things that allow us to enjoy life, what kind of life is it anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest disability insurance.

I think that you are valid in considering the risks of what you do as it pertains to your possible livelyhood, BUT if we become so risk adverse as to stop doing the things that allow us to enjoy life, what kind of life is it anyway?

I agree with you to a point, I was thinking more from the training standpoint. If you lose 6 or 8 weeks during your residency, that can be very significant (ask anyone who's been on maternity leave), especially if it's in your third year when you would be getting most of your surgery.

Another thing to consider is that if you're used to going frequently, while training, your skiing skills are going to atrophy some, so if you're on vacation, and you try to do what you used to do, you can increase your chances of getting hurt.

I agree about the disability insurance as a long term issue (even if you aren't into these sports).

Dave

As a certified NSP patroller, helmets are a good idea for anyone who skis or rides no matter of ability level. Often times it not the accident that you cause by your skiing/riding, but the other guy not able to control his skiing/riding.

BK