So about this shadowing business...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJW1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a little advice, do most of you guys shadow docs that are in private practice or ones that work in hospitals? It seems like shadowing in a hospital would be much more interesting, but I don't know if it would be harder to set up. Also, is it something you can set up the week before or should I already be calling doctors up for shadowing during the summer. And lastly, does anyone know of any good doctors from the DFW area to shadow? I'm specifically interested in surgery but I'm not that picky. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i did a hospital (inpatient) & public health office (outpatient) so it was neat to see both types

The one I shadow does both - some days all in L&D and some days all in the office. It's worked out nicely for me to see both aspects of OB/GYN.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for a doc to shadow, talk to your GP. If you don't want to shadow them, ask if they know anyone they could hook you up with in a particular specialty. My docs all have serious contacts at the med schools (if they aren't on the faculty there) and I'm sure that you could find someone the same.

I simply asked my plastic surgeon and she was thrilled. That way, I will get to see both surg and office. Furthmore, she offered to hook me up with another doc for more opportunities.

Don't make getting a shadow spot harder than it is. Really, it's not a big deal to ask. They will be flattered...most of the time.

Good luck. :luck:

TypeA said:
If you are looking for a doc to shadow, talk to your GP. If you don't want to shadow them, ask if they know anyone they could hook you up with in a particular specialty. My docs all have serious contacts at the med schools (if they aren't on the faculty there) and I'm sure that you could find someone the same.

I simply asked my plastic surgeon and she was thrilled. That way, I will get to see both surg and office. Furthmore, she offered to hook me up with another doc for more opportunities.

Don't make getting a shadow spot harder than it is. Really, it's not a big deal to ask. They will be flattered...most of the time.

Good luck. :luck:

Definitely agree with previous post. asking is usually all it takes (even if you don't really know the doctor well). also, volunteering at a hospital can provide a way to overcome any awkwardness or credibility issues.