So are all non surgical jobs just 24/7 epic write ups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1999

Reaction score
I've scribed for EM and IM for 2.5 years and literally, especially for EM, the doctors' jobs just seem like a glorified typing test. I work at a level 1 trauma center, one of the highest ranked hospitals in the NE, and we get an insane amount of patients per day and I would say the residents spend over 85% of their time sitting down on the computer and the attending spends 90%.

When residents do the initial consult, it's extremely procedural, and on the occasion that the illness/main complaint is ambiguous, residents and attendings will just browse google to figure out what the hell it is. It seems like the main goal is not really to treat patients, but instead to just discharge people as fast as possible to keep patients rolling and prevent backlog. I can't imagine people wanted to do this coming into medicine, so I'm assuming this is a product of burnout post MD or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Something something Dunning-Kruger

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Something something Dunning-Kruger
I mean sure but that isn't really the point of my post. More of an aside. Obviously I'm largely unexperienced and clueless, to the contrary of what the attendigs say :) , but that doesn't quite speak to residents asking the same 9 questions and dispoing every headache.

Members don't see this ad :)
Further, at this point, I've scribed for 2 years and I am pretty confident I could outperform most of these residents in a shift in regard to patient care
fun thing to post on sdn, buddy

Reactions: 8 users
So first off, of course not, you aren't always typing.

For example, you could dictate or use a scribe...

This post should be your essay for medical school OP.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Jesus, I didn't mean to hit a nerve lmfao. I can delete that portion since you kids are so damn pressed about it. Genuinely looking for some sort of advice on the topic, don't understand why everyone is so hostile.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I've scribed for EM and IM for 2.5 years and literally, especially for EM, the doctors' jobs just seem like a glorified typing test. I work at a level 1 trauma center, one of the highest ranked hospitals in the NE, and we get an insane amount of patients per day and I would say the residents spend over 85% of their time sitting down on the computer and the attending spends 90%.

When residents do the initial consult, it's extremely procedural, and on the occasion that the illness/main complaint is ambiguous, residents and attendings will just browse google to figure out what the hell it is. It seems like the main goal is not really to treat patients, but instead to just discharge people as fast as possible to keep patients rolling and prevent backlog. I can't imagine people wanted to do this coming into medicine, so I'm assuming this is a product of burnout post MD or something.

The general attitude of your post is what drives burnout and imposter syndrome. Maybe take that toxicity to another career if this is already your attitude?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The general attitude of your post is what drives burnout and imposter syndrome. Maybe take that toxicity to another career if this is already your attitude?
I didn’t mean to be toxic, apologies. I’m a non trad (biomed engineering, soft mats PhD) and was not liking academia. I started scribing near the end of my PhD after deciding to pursue medicine. I was genuinely confused by the patient seeing: epic typing balance in the daily job, hence my post. It wasn’t meant to be a jab at the profession though I can see that it may have come off that way. Sorry for the carelessness.
In regard to my note about “knowing as much as a medial student,” I believe that is just a product of me being older. Attendings often treat me like a resident, asking me what to do and why, and I take over for residents on lunch/dinner breaks. I’m a learner and make an effort to learn the MD material.
I think this post can be deleted then. Clearly my intentions were unclear and people are upset. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.