So beyond confused about the one year of biology + lab req

californiamed

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
One year of bio + lab is required, but since I'm on quarter system, AND I go to UCLA, bio is kinda weird here. We have Life Science 1: Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity (with lab), LS 2: Organs, Tissues, Cells (with lab); LS 3: Molecular Bio (with lab), and Life Science 4: genetics (has no lab)

I've taken/will take Life Science 1-3; 3 quarters of biology = 1 year.
So do I need to take Life Science 4 - Genetics?

Thanks, :)

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
One year of bio + lab is required, but since I'm on quarter system, AND I go to UCLA, bio is kinda weird here. We have Life Science 1: Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity (with lab), LS 2: Organs, Tissues, Cells (with lab); LS 3: Molecular Bio (with lab), and Life Science 4: genetics (has no lab)

I've taken/will take Life Science 1-3; 3 quarters of biology = 1 year.
So do I need to take Life Science 4 - Genetics?

Thanks, :)
Well, 2 semesters = 1 year at semester-based schools.

For you, three quarters = 1 year so I infer that you don't have to take science 4 although you should. What's one more quarter of genetics? It'll be fun and useful. It's about all you're missing out of all that anyway.

mwall003

7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
you should be set for the BIO prerequisties, but I'd recommend taking biology -- genetics because it's helpful for the MCAT i've heard...if you can fit it into your schedule.

premedicine555

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
Thanks for the responses so far.. but honestly, I don't think taking genetics and getting a grade that might possibly lower my GPA is worth it.. I heard self-studying genetics for MCAT is best. Also, I plan on taking notes from friends who took the course here and reviewing it..

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the responses so far.. but honestly, I don't think taking genetics and getting a grade that might possibly lower my GPA is worth it.. I heard self-studying genetics for MCAT is best. Also, I plan on taking notes from friends who took the course here and reviewing it..
I plan on taking a senior level genetics course with lab this fall because I want to. I used to teach H.S. biology so I've got the basics down pretty well. However, I read this book, and it's pretty good although mine has a different cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Genetics-Morton-Jenkins/dp/007145621X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269828704&sr=1-1#noop

May 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
On my MCAT, genetics was barely touched on. You'll be fine with just the basics.

Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Freakin' premeds.