So CAL IM programs-USC vs Huntington vs West VA LA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mas_dumas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to stay in the Los Angeles area, and I am confused about how to rank. Does anyone have an opinion about which is better USC, West LA VA, and Huntington? I feel that USC has the best clinical training but killer hours...I have heard that it has a poor reputation, but why? IT seems to offer all the clinical gems of a county hospital? What about Huntington? How is the teaching, the general learning...which is better for clinical training USC vs Huntington? Finally, West LA VA...I know they have good research opportunities but how about their clinical training? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Out of those, USC easily has the best reputation

Huntington does have good clinical training. It is also in a much safer area. The West LA VA, I have heard has solid clinical training. USC has overnight Q4 call on the wards for at least 7 months out of the year, I am not sure if the other two have that.

Members don't see this ad :)
JHUgirl said:
Huntington does have good clinical training. It is also in a much safer area. The West LA VA, I have heard has solid clinical training. USC has overnight Q4 call on the wards for at least 7 months out of the year, I am not sure if the other two have that.

based on what you have said you should rank USC number 1. it may not have the best reputation, but believe me the rep is much much better than huntington or the va. while county is indeed crazy at times, there is no doubt that you will see some amazing stuff and be well trained and like any good residency training program you will work hard. if i were you i would rank those three...

1. usc.
2. west la va.
3. huntington.

bof said:
based on what you have said you should rank USC number 1. it may not have the best reputation, but believe me the rep is much much better than huntington or the va. while county is indeed crazy at times, there is no doubt that you will see some amazing stuff and be well trained and like any good residency training program you will work hard. if i were you i would rank those three...

1. usc.
2. west la va.
3. huntington.

I'm not sure if I can agree with the above. But however you choose, make sure it is consistent with your goals. I welcome all PM's. Good luck to all.