So close, yet so far.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ngaio84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really excited to receive a phone call from the University of Michigan today. As I breathlessly answered the phone, expecting to get an interview invite, I heard the lady on the other end say, “Hello, is Mike there?” Unfortunately, my name doesn’t even sound like the female equivalent to Mike (whatever that may be) and I said “there are no Mikes at this phone number.” She sounded really confused and said “Oh, there’s no one named Mike [a last name that sounds really close to mine]?” “No,” I replied sadly and told her my last name. She must have dialed the phone number on the wrong line in her excitement to call Mike and tell him his joyous news. I felt like telling her that I would take Mike’s interview since our last names are so close. No one would ever know. And Mike would forever wonder what had happened to his U Mich application. So if Mike is reading this: Good luck man. You never knew how close you were to having your interview stolen.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. That is seriously sad times.

It's like some cruel, cruel joke.... which gives me ideas... hehehehehehehehehehe...

That is horrible... wow. Cheer up though, you have a really great app, there's still hope! :luck: Also, at least it wasn't an acceptance mixup... that would be worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. That is just terrible.

Wow, that is so cruel.

But don't let it get you too down. You have three invites, including a coveted and almost impossible to obtain, U of C invite! U of M will come around soon....

I was going to feel bad...until I saw your stats. you'll have NO problem getting into a great med school...YOU should call THEM back and let them know what a huge mistake theyve made NOT telling u u were accepted haha.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that... but I was under the impression that Michigan only gave out interview invites through e-mail/status page? In that case, I don't think they were calling to schedule an interview (the admissions staff there always seem extra enthusiastic about EVERYTHING)... that probably doesn't make you feel any better though. :(

Thanks for all the condolences! I just thought the whole think was kind of funny. One of those pre-med stories you tell to all your friends about "horrible" things that happen to you when applying to medical school.

So if Mike is reading this: Good luck man. You never knew how close you were to having your interview stolen.

WOOOOOOOOOO I'm getting DRUNK tonight!!!