so confused about pcat after reading this forum, help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a california resident and not sure if I want to devote my entire summer studying for it. I could be working as a pharm tech and/or taking classes. I would also hate feeling of dissapointment and wasted time...

Here is what confuses me, I've been reading so many opinions about what and so much of iit SOOOOO contradicting. I don't know who to believe....

Some say it's easier than Kaplan practice exams, some say it's harder. Some say it's on par with Cliff notes pcat? Is that true.

Some say it can not be studied for. IS that true...

Please someone tell what's the deal with this exam. Should i bother?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all I do not think any California school requires the PCAT, so if you want to go to a Cali school don't bother. If you are going to take it, it can be studied for you just need to budget your time correctly. I can't say if it is equal to/harder/easier than any of the practice books, it really is just a matter of you studying and having picked up what you could in your classes.

Each test prep book is "hard" in its own way as none of them really mirror the real PCAT. Some test books have excessively easy verbals while some are too hard. The one thing that all non-Harcourt practice exams do provide is to alert you to obvious areas you need to review.

You can study for the science and math sections are those involve concepts directly taught in classes. The questions may be asked differently, but the questions should be similar to problems you dealt with in actual courses. Now, it's more difficult to directly study for the verbal, writing, and reading sections because those involved acquired skills you picked up over time. That is, you really can't "study" for those sections as you would for a chemistry exam at your college. You can practice with test prep books, doing outside reading and writing, and building vocabulary but its more difficult to really review something you've been learning your entire life.

Yet, if you plan on applying to mainly California schools, then the PCAT doesn't really matter. I would take it over the summer if you have time just in case some unexpected event causes you to need to apply outside of CA and if your GPA is average to below average for California schools. At best, however, only a few California schools even look at the PCAT and that's just for reference.

I am a california resident and not sure if I want to devote my entire summer studying for it. I could be working as a pharm tech and/or taking classes. I would also hate feeling of dissapointment and wasted time...

Here is what confuses me, I've been reading so many opinions about what and so much of iit SOOOOO contradicting. I don't know who to believe....

Some say it's easier than Kaplan practice exams, some say it's harder. Some say it's on par with Cliff notes pcat? Is that true.

Some say it can not be studied for. IS that true...

Please someone tell what's the deal with this exam. Should i bother?

:) Kaplan or no Kaplan, if you know what is on the exam and you study those subjects, you will do well.

Alot of people compare the different prep materials but it really depends on what works best for you.

You will do better if you prepare so studying helps. I think this also applies to the real deal pharmcy classes you will take in the future.

IF YOU NEED TO TAKE THE PCAT BECAUSE OF WHERE YOU APPLY REQUIRES YOU TO TAKE IT, study for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My grades are sooo far from stellar.

I'd want to invest a lot of time in it if the exam is "tester friendly" meaning it is not overly dificult.

Having study materials that resemble the exam and knowing that the exam will not ask stupid pointless details would also be good.

You say that taking the PCAT would cause you to miss working or taking class over the summer, but I don't think thats true. If you start studying now, you won't have to study for like 8 hours a day. Maybe only 1-2 hours a day. So you could definately still work or take summer school if you wanted to.

Regarding the PCAT study materials, I believe the top two are Kaplan's and Barron's with Kaplan being harder than the PCAT and Barron's being easier.