SO Confused- Need Advice on applying to post-bacs or SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurosciencegal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
- I am a senior neuroscience major graduating from college in May.
- I have taken all of the pre-req courses, but had C+'s in Bio, one semester of chem, and the 2nd semester of Orgo (I got an A the first semester)
- I also got A's in all labs and the rest of my science courses afterwards (but they are neuroscience--not pre-reqs)
- so my current gpa is a 3.4
- I was planning on taking the MCATs this year, but became too overwhelmed with big family problems, school work, and research work.
- I have LOTS of research and clinical experience, but no MCATs or GRE's yet! And C's in my pre-reqs! So, my health advisor suggested to look into programs that could enhance my GPA and academic standing
- If I'm someone who wants to enhance my academic standing, must I have an MCAT score in order to apply to programs?
- Could I study for the MCATs in June + July--> then take it in August and still get in to a Post-bac?
- Do all post-bacs start in the summer? --which would take up that time I'd want to dedicate to the MCAT's?
- Furthermore, I am very poor, which just makes everything that much more stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

Well first off, don't worry about money now, there are very few ppl who can afford to pay for graduate school outright without financial assistance so just worry about getting in to a program.

Any way, you're gonna need to do an SMP not a post-bacc seeing as how you have all your pre-reqs done. There are man, and it seems as tho Georgetown SMP is generally regarded as the best one and you seem like a competitive applicant for that.

Sorry to say but taking the MCAT that late is never gonna work. You have to take it earlier, I say you start studying hard core SOON. Sign up for a class, although they are very pricey, or start self study and try to take the exam in March or April. Now is the time, when you need to make sacrifices so do all you can to try to have the MCAT taken by march or april. If you start studying now, you can do well.

Thank you for that explanation--that was extremely helpful. Ok, I have another question: What if I took further classes (like Biochemistry) at a college or university on my own in order to spruce up my academic standing instead of going to an SMP? Is that a good option? Not good? Not as great?