I didn't match...*sigh*....guess I gotta get my crap together for the scramble

j/k :smuggrin:

bof

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Non-Student
if everyone ranked enough programs i can't imagine anyone not matching.

i wonder which programs didn't fill this year?

freefall

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
sorry to hear about your struggles. if memory serves me right, you got some really good invites. this whole system is so inhumane.

keep your chin up.

OP
Jamezuva

Jamezuva

Have Faith
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2004
Never static
Status
Non-Student
April04 said:
i think that jamezuva is kidding!
talk about pwn3age ;) :smuggrin:

bof

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Non-Student
Main Residency Match 2005

Internal Medicine

Spots Offered: 7491
Spots Unfilled: 384

That is kind of interesteding. For more look at my reports in the nrmp website.

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
bof said:
Main Residency Match 2005

Internal Medicine

Spots Offered: 7491
Spots Unfilled: 384

That is kind of interesteding. For more look at my reports in the nrmp website.
I believe that also includes medicine prelim positions. Is that true? (I don't have access to that section in nrmp.org)

uxbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2004
Status
Yeah,

Western Region
Offered: 1151 Unfilled: 21

Central Region
Offered: 1666 Unfilled: 89

Southern Region
Offered: 1658 Unfilled: 126

Northeastern Region
Offered: 3016 Unfilled: 148

(Wish they would give more details re: IM though :) )

What I found interesting too was that Gen Surg has more unfilled spots than Int. Med! Is that common?

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
uxbridge said:
Yeah,

What I found interesting too was that Gen Surg has more unfilled spots than Int. Med! (Wish they would give more details re: IM though :) )

Is that common?
Well, if the numbers in Gen Surg are anything like they were last year, almost all of the unfilled spots were surg prelim positions (the surgery list combines the prelim and categorical). Only about 4 categorical surgery spots were unfilled last year.

It will be interesting to see how many categorial surg as well as categorical IM spots go unfilled this year...

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
I didn't match. I ranked only 2 programs so that was probably a big mistake. Does anyone know what the scramble is like? Do we find out right away if we matched? Should I take Wednesday off from work, too? I'm applying for prelim.

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2001
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
oddsbuster said:
I didn't match. I ranked only 2 programs so that was probably a big mistake. Does anyone know what the scramble is like? Do we find out right away if we matched? Should I take Wednesday off from work, too? I'm applying for prelim.
Definitely talk with your Dean's office - they can potentially be a big help in the scramble. The scramble is not actually a "match" process. Think of it like finding a job in the normal (ie non-medical) job maket -- there are a certain number of openings, you send your CV, etc, to those programs, the programs will entertain applications, and then make an offer to an applicant. The applicant will then have a very limited time to tell the program if they accept the position offer. Often people can secure a position on the first day of the scramble, especially if they are looking for prelim positions, however you should be prepared to take Wednesday off as well in case you are unlucky on Tuesday.

Good luck!

uxbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2004
Status
The Scramble is a dynamic spot-filling process - as mentioned, there is no match for it. You sit down with your Dean and make calls to programs unfilled. The Unmatch list is updated q1h, showing a declining number of unfilled spots as those spots are taken up in the scramble. There is an abundance of prelim spots, however - popular programs are popular programs. Best of luck to you.

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
Thanks for the info. The countdown has begun for the scramble and I'm waiting patiently....

LisaY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
Status
Where do you find this list of evolving unmatched programs?
Thanks

oddsbuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2005
Status
LisaY said:
Where do you find this list of evolving unmatched programs?
Thanks
The list is posted on the NRMP website for people that have participated in the Match but did not match. Someone posted the list on the General Med thread but it has changed and is "evolving". As of now, there are only 25 programs in IM prelim that are not filled.