so discouraged.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binko

At home I want you to call me Dr. Marvin.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
someone please just tell me it's all going to be ok.

Members don't see this ad.

it'll be ok:)

hang in there, just a little while longer

it's going to be as okay as YOU want it to be.

Honestly, stop looking for affirmation from strangers and stressing yourself out :)

But trust me, things will be and do become okay :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if you are attractive, it will be OK.

op: :help:

us: :whoa:"hey you".....

op: :shifty: "yes..??"

us: :highfive:

op: "that's not what I asked for!!!" :annoyed:

us: :bang: "grwoowwlllll"

op: "What?" :banana: "can you hear me know"

us: :diebanana:

It's been surprisingly difficult to admit to myself that I really am totally, seriously, unironically, completely, unequivocally NOT nonchalant at all about any of this. I'm scared about my future, my ability to succeed, whether I deserve the things I want, and my worth as a human being, to a far greater extent than is strictly rational.

Feels good to get that out I guess.

Be sure you deserve it. If you doubt yourself then it will likely show up in your PS and will definitely show up in your interview. Everyone gets scared sometimes. Know you're worth it. :D

Oh and hi German major buddy :) I majored in German too.

Be sure you deserve it. If you doubt yourself then it will likely show up in your PS and will definitely show up in your interview. Everyone gets scared sometimes. Know you're worth it. :D
Thanks. I have gotten a lot better at talking about how awesome I am than I was last time I applied.
Oh and hi German major buddy :) I majored in German too.

What do you say when people ask what you plan to do with that? I always just say something funny and change the subject.

It will all be okay. Just breathe and take control of things that are in YOUR control. All else, just leave it.

Deutsch ist #1 .... wenn du gut deutsch sprechen kannst, dann alles wird ok sein :)

good luck buddy

Members don't see this ad :)
I promise, it does get better: The Dark Knight Rises comes out next summer!

(in relation to your divorce) You are 25. You are still young. You will find someone else!

(in relation to your stats) Apply broadly and hope for the best! Also consider DO

I'm applying only DO. I would prefer it to allo.

MFW OP is sweating about getting into a DO school :shifty:

It's all going to be OK. People tend to discredit themselves about the amount of turmoil a human being can take. Let me assure you, it's a lot. Stay positive.

Hopefully this menagerie of irresistibly cute animals will cheer you up :p

koala_baby.jpg

cute_panda_bigger.jpg

858533852_a28df0eba8.jpg

flocke-4.jpg

baby-tiger-lying-alone1.jpg

3babies.jpg

Best remedies for being stressed and depressed: A funny TV show (Whose Line, HIMYM, Friends) and chocolate. I like the little Dove squares.

Many polar bears find themselves on blocks of ice that eventually melt. When it does, the polar bears have to swim for miles to find somewhere to rest. They struggle but are not discouraged. Almost all of them drown. :)

It's going to be ok if you love medicine and are willing to keep digging into debt until you are a fully-trained physician who will make a moderate rather than high income. If you are in this for the money, you will hate it, especially with the cuts that loom ahead.

Many polar bears find themselves on blocks of ice that eventually melt. When it does, the polar bears have to swim for miles to find somewhere to rest. They struggle but are not discouraged. Almost all of them drown. :)

Aww its ok, they look so precious paddling through the water :love:

Hey OP, we have identical stats except for the writing section :). GL to you, and don't give up!

MFW OP is sweating about getting into a DO school :shifty:

I applied before with the same stats and got waitlisted then rejected.

Squee!

Best remedies for being stressed and depressed: A funny TV show (Whose Line, HIMYM, Friends) and chocolate. I like the little Dove squares.

Metalocalypse and a chocolate covered banana are my drugs of choice.

It's going to be ok if you love medicine and are willing to keep digging into debt until you are a fully-trained physician who will make a moderate rather than high income. If you are in this for the money, you will hate it, especially with the cuts that loom ahead.

I don't care about money at all. Ok maybe a little bit, but as long as I'm above poverty and have decent insurance and a modest retirement fund when I'm old, that's all I need.

Hey OP, we have identical stats except for the writing section :). GL to you, and don't give up!
Looks like you could run circles around me in the area of writing. Want to help me with my PS? ;)

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Courtesy of NickNaylor

Good Luck.

- Do something that will significantly make your more competitive, like 1 year reasearch at NIH, Howard Hughes, etc.
- Get a Master's Degree.
- SMP or 1 year post-bach.

Good Luck.

- Do something that will significantly make your more competitive, like 1 year reasearch at NIH, Howard Hughes, etc.
- Get a Master's Degree.
- SMP or 1 year post-bach.

Who asked for advice? Fuzzy animals or GTFO.

In all seriousness, I already spent 3 years after college taking classes and I'm also applying to master's programs in case I don't get into med school this year. I don't really have the resources to just pick up and go do research in another state, even if I could somehow land a prestigious position. That said, if you can get me a job at NIH or Howard Hughes, then by all means, please do.

Why did you come to SDN if you don't want advice? Go talk to someone in the real world if you want some real sympathy.

NIH has special research programs for medical/dental students. I have friends who went during high school and during college in Bethesda, MD. It lasts 1-2 months, which isn't a big commitment.

Who asked for advice? Fuzzy animals or GTFO.

In all seriousness, I already spent 3 years after college taking classes and I'm also applying to master's programs in case I don't get into med school this year. I don't really have the resources to just pick up and go do research in another state, even if I could somehow land a prestigious position. That said, if you can get me a job at NIH or Howard Hughes, then by all means, please do.

feeling the same way right now. my plan is to try and sleep it off and get to the next day.

NIH has special research programs for medical/dental students. I have friends who went during high school and during college in Bethesda, MD. It lasts 1-2 months, which isn't a big commitment.

Intriguing. Is it paid?

Phew, today sucked for me too. This thread was a bad omen, I suppose... :(

I am not sure, but a stipend is given.

https://www.training.nih.gov/trainees
Look at summer interns and postbachs.

I think the best option is "POSTBACCALAUREATE INTRAMURAL RESEARCH TRAINING AWARD (POSTBAC IRTA/CRTA)." You can apply anytime and there is no long-term time commitment. You can do this while applying. This programs give a stipend and it's for people who "intend to apply to graduate or professional school during their tenure in the program."

https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta

Intriguing. Is it paid?

Last edited:
I am not sure, but a stripend is given.

I think the best option is "POSTBACCALAUREATE INTRAMURAL RESEARCH TRAINING AWARD (POSTBAC IRTA/CRTA)." You can apply anytime and there is no long-term time commitment. You can do this while applying. This programs give a stripend and it's for people who "intend to apply to graduate or professional school during their tenure in the program."

[YOUTUBE]yYwWwKV1JCE[/YOUTUBE]

I am not sure, but a stripend is given.

I think the best option is "POSTBACCALAUREATE INTRAMURAL RESEARCH TRAINING AWARD (POSTBAC IRTA/CRTA)." You can apply anytime and there is no long-term time commitment. You can do this while applying. This programs give a stripend and it's for people who "intend to apply to graduate or professional school during their tenure in the program."

Stipend... it's a stipend.

Stripend... strip-end... not what you were going for.

"hSDN alumni"

Shhhh, grown-ups are talking. Children should be seen and not heard.
You hating on hSDN man? You hatin? Don't hate. Appreciate!

Aww its ok, they look so precious paddling through the water :love:

It is rather funny to see them swim in vain :smuggrin:

edit: no it's not. It's rather sad.

Last edited:
Looks like you could run circles around me in the area of writing. Want to help me with my PS? ;)

I'm not sure you're being serious. I don't mind reading over your PS though...

It's not an easy road... I still have to do a post-bacc to take some pre-reqs and strengthen my ugrad GPA.

But if you want it, you'll get it.

It's been surprisingly difficult to admit to myself that I really am totally, seriously, unironically, completely, unequivocally NOT nonchalant at all about any of this. I'm scared about my future, my ability to succeed, whether I deserve the things I want, and my worth as a human being, to a far greater extent than is strictly rational.

Feels good to get that out I guess.
Don't let your self worth be determined by your academics/job. Our life is really what we do outside of work. In the end, a job provides money to support ourselves and our families. If we are really lucky, then our job may also provide some professional satisfaction and the opportunity improve other peoples lives in some way. However, our real significance in the world will always be more about what we do after work in our homes, friendships, and community.

I'll read your PS, but I want it in German and English! :)

There are good European med schools which are in CA-approval list.. they regularly have 6-year education system, but if you have a major in another field, then in some of them (or many of them) you can do it in 4 years.. I see some of them are so tough that especially for the first 3 years the students are trying not to be kicked out! :)

Actually I will suggest you to take a look at valuemd.com and find devildoc8404 there (mostly in European Medical Schools forum) .. he is a US citizen as well, at 6th year of his med education and well versed about US and EU systems and schools.. and he is a very positive, sharing person..

The things that make us downhearted and sad today, are preparing a shining and happy tomorrow for us.. In this crowd of details we cant see.. but God sees ;) just believe in it my friend :)