So, do I have any shot at an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidsomsen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I just got my June 18th MCAT scores yesterday. I got a 28N (PS 10/ BS 10/ VR 8), which I'm pretty disappointed about. I have a 3.6 GPA with a BS in Genetics, and I've had some pretty good experience in the medical field with jobs. I was wondering if any of you have had similar qualifications or if you have any input as to if I'm going to be able to get in ANYWHERE for an MD school. I will literally go anywhere that's a legitimate medical school. Word!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone -

I just got my June 18th MCAT scores yesterday. I got a 28N (PS 10/ BS 10/ VR 8), which I'm pretty disappointed about. I have a 3.6 GPA with a BS in Genetics, and I've had some pretty good experience in the medical field with jobs. I was wondering if any of you have had similar qualifications or if you have any input as to if I'm going to be able to get in ANYWHERE for an MD school. I will literally go anywhere that's a legitimate medical school. Word!

At this point, osteopathic is the only way for you - you would be a great candidate.

For MD, you will need to pull that MCAT to at least a 30, which would give you a shot at the 'low' tier US MD schools. 32+ may land you an interview in the midtier. To be truly competitive, you are looking at 34+ (still, not top tier).

At this point, osteopathic is the only way for you - you would be a great candidate.

For MD, you will need to pull that MCAT to at least a 30, which would give you a shot at the 'low' tier US MD schools. 32+ may land you an interview in the midtier. To be truly competitive, you are looking at 34+ (still, not top tier).

It feels like I am disagreeing with every one of your posts on the WAMC forum today camaras2480...but I feel that I need to set the record straight.

Osteopathic is not the only way for you...it is more likely...but you still have a chance at an MD school.

Here is the deal...according to the AAMC website on the MCAT + GPA grid for matriculants http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

You are in the 3.60-3.79gpa range and the 27-29 MCAT range. According to this you have a 59.6% chance of being accepted (probably a little lower since you are on the extreme low end of the gpa range and you have a 8 in the VR instead of a more balanced score)...

If I had to put a number on it I would say you have about a 36.9% chance of being accepted. No sure thing any way you look at it, but for SURE worth trying (As long as you are smart about the schools you apply to.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm mostly with Zeus for this one. You're not SOL for MD schools, but it's an uphill battle. Given the proper EC's, you're a great DO candidate. Assuming you're a MN resident, you have a decent shot at your state school and should consider applying to North Dakota, also. I'd focus your application on DO schools and maybe apply to 5-10 MD schools.

Are you sure camaras2480? The average GPA for medical school matriculants nationwide is either 3.66 or 3.67. The average MCAT is 30, maybe 31. The OP only seems to be marginally distinct from the average matriculant due to the lower MCAT score but that would mean he should still have a decent chance at landing an acceptance at most low tier schools and depending on his extracurriculars even mid tier schools. This is assuming that the mid tier schools are where the average applicant matriculates. I am by no means an expert and I do understand that an MCAT less than 30 affects your application quite a bit, even with a stellar GPA but lots of students matriculate with 29s/28s.

Even if the OP did have quite a low chance of getting an acceptance, he would only have to improve his MCAT score by 2 points to stand a decent chance at matriculating to most low and mid tier schools(again assuming that mid tier is where the average matriculant is accepted). Your response makes it seem as if the OP has an abysmal application and needs to improve a great deal which is not the case in the least.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, guys. I think my EC's are somewhat decent. Lots of clinical experience, a couple non-medical volunteer jobs, shadowing docs, travelling and working abroad for 6 months, really good at guitar (do you add this to the application if it's a big part of my life?), and then some.
I'm also not a RESIDENT of Minnesota, my residency is in South Dakota (which gives me a big shot at USD). Do you guys know if I can get dual residency and how to do it? I've lived in MN for 5 years and paid taxes every year...I just haven't ever changed my legal residence. I'd like to say I'm from MN AND SD because then I have good shots at UMD and UND. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Hmmm looks like I screwed up eh? Oops, sorry! I thought the OP had no ECs - I missed his line of "good experience in the field." I was therefore going on just numbers, and IMO, pure numbers 3.6/28 really is just about SOL.

But! With the new light from the recent post, apparently there are ECs - and so disregard my original, discouraging post please!