So Doctor fix or no doctor fix??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony montana

Dr. G-Spot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I read one online article stating the "doctor fix" was included in the recently approved health bill

Then I read an article by the AAFP saying it was included but it wasn't permanent...

Does anyone know which way is it for sure?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know what you mean by "doctor fix." The 21% cuts in medicare mandated by the SGR formula were recently postponed until October, but that was part of a provision of the jobs bill that passed the senate.

The bill(s) that passed last night do, however, allow for medicaid to be reimbursed at the same rate as medicare, but only for those physicians in primary care. Good for everyone on medicaid, I would think, and those physicians already seeing medicaid patients. I have a feeling that this will not lead to a significant increase in FM income but it may allow more private practices to be able to offer care to those on medicaid.

Things are looking up for FM and those in primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are looking up for FM and those in primary care.

Would you mind elucidating how things are looking up for FM and primary care as a result of this bill? Not being sarcastic just wanting information --

Some of the complaints I've heard (but have not been able to establish as
fact):

1) It's going to be harder to get the studies that your patients need.

2) We'll get to see more patients for less reimbursement.

3) Newsdroids stated that the worst place to be right now is FM for reason #2.

Again, I've been going through the interview process and haven't really seen hard and fast facts about how it's going to affect providers.

Anyone?....

Some of the complaints I've heard (but have not been able to establish as
fact):

1) It's going to be harder to get the studies that your patients need.

2) We'll get to see more patients for less reimbursement.

3) Newsdroids stated that the worst place to be right now is FM for reason #2.

None of that's in the bill. If anything, FM is the best place to be right now.

Click the links below for more info.

US healthcare bill would provide immediate benefits
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

Winners, losers in House healthcare bill
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62K1IV20100322

The biggest problem with the bill is the fact that there's very little in the way of cost controls. IMO, it's a trillion-dollar boondoggle.

The SGR fix isn't in the bill. But the medicare cuts were again temporarily delayed via separate legislation.

So we didn't get the permanent fix they promised which they used to get the AMA on board

hmmm :confused:

So we didn't get the permanent fix they promised which they used to get the AMA on board

And how do you tell when a politician is lying? Their lips move.....

CNN was doing a wonderful piece on how the premiums would increase for the middle class, even if they had insurance.

Yet someone w/o insurance was quoted as saying,'It's like Christmas. We pay our copay and never have to worry about the bills'......

There's nothing in the bill that fixes the flawed SGR formula.

I haven't read anything about any promises made to the AMA.

As far as the AMA and AAFP are concerned, by supporting the bill, these organizations stood at least some chance of influencing the final product. Without their support, they would be shut out. Better to be at the table than on the menu.

Isn't it kind of assume that the dems left the doc fix out of the bill because it added 59 billion to the deficit and a lot to the cost of the bill, and they wanted the CBO estimate under a trillion? I've heard that they are going to pass the doc fix before mid-terms when they all lose.

I've heard that they are going to pass the doc fix before mid-terms when they all lose.

Might as well. It's not like they have much to lose at this point.

If you want to see what change looks like, wait until this November.

I haven't read anything about any promises made to the AMA.

I read it a good amount of times some time back...

These were the only links I could find about it:

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/13/reid-doc-fix-what-doc-fix/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Washington-Watch/Washington-Watch/18094

Months ago, members of Congress promised to repeal the SGR as part of healthcare reform, but those measures were stripped out of the bills to bring down the total costs of the legislation

Last edited:
I read it a good amount of times some time back...

These were the only links I could find about it:

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/13/reid-doc-fix-what-doc-fix/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Washington-Watch/Washington-Watch/18094

The AMA would've supported the bill regardless of whether or not the SGR fix was included. And, they did.

Sure, we'd all have been happier if it was in there, but it would've pretty much wiped out the supposed cost savings that are being claimed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some great logic :eek::eek::rolleyes::

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT1dhH9x1Uo&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

no fix, and extension scheduled to expire....
20+% cut goes into affect I think early April.

no fix, and extension scheduled to expire....
20+% cut goes into affect I think early April.

April 1st ... not an April's fools joke unfortunately. However, I think they are still going to fix it. Historically, they always do. The real question, in my mind, is whether they will just nic the 20% cut, or if they will fix the SGR formula.

...I think they are still going to fix it. Historically, they always do...
It is a dangerous game to keep giving congress the "benefit of the doubt" and presuming things based on "historically". Historically.... they are "socially good intentioned". Historically, they have never managed a social program in a fiscally responsible, solvent manner...... historically.... they have always spent monies intended for "trust funds" on other pork, etc, etc, etc.... Historically/currently they are spending into more deficit with over 100 TRILLION dollars ufunded liabilities..... and they just added another entitlement program!

Neither physicians or anyone else should be sitting back presuming the best and believing our elected officials will do anything fincially responsible or even logical.....

It is a dangerous game to keep giving congress the "benefit of the doubt" and presuming things based on "historically". Historically.... they are "socially good intentioned". Historically, they have never managed a social program in a fiscally responsible, solvent manner...... historically.... they have always spent monies intended for "trust funds" on other pork, etc, etc, etc.... Historically/currently they are spending into more deficit with over 100 TRILLION dollars ufunded liabilities..... and they just added another entitlement program!

Neither physicians or anyone else should be sitting back presuming the best and believing our elected officials will do anything fincially responsible or even logical.....

Trust me ... I'm not the guy who likes to give the federal government the benefits of the doubt, everrrrr.

My thoughts are just that some of the support from the AMA, etc, came with the assumption that the doc fix would be thrown in there.

...My thoughts are just that some of the support from the AMA, etc, came with the assumption that the doc fix would be thrown in there.
So, what? The current administration was elected into office based on numerous promises and statements.... since broken.

What does the AMA really matter? Some of the support from x, y, z also came from the promises that taxes wouldn't increase, healthcare costs would go down, premiums would go down, access would be "improved", jobs would increase, unicorns would fly, etc, etc.....

I mean, seriously, promises to AMA??? Again, why in the world will give the benefit of the doubt to the federal government.... why would we in anyway trust anything said? They are spending what can't be afforded.... into programs and deficits that can NOT be sustained. Do you really think in the face of that, their thoughts are the "poor physicians"..... they have unions and others with their hands out and further forward in the line then physicians or a group like the AMA.... which very shortly they (government) will turn around and acknowledge that the AMA is not the representative of most physicians anyways.

Last edited:
So, what? The current administration was elected into office based on numerous promises and statements.... since broken.

What does the AMA really matter? Some of the support from x, y, z also came from the promises that taxes wouldn't increase, healthcare costs would go down, premiums would go down, access would be "improved", jobs would increase, unicorns would fly, etc, etc.....

I mean, seriously, promises to AMA??? Again, why in the world will give the benefit of the doubt to the federal government.... why would we in anyway trust anything said? They are spending what can't be afforded.... into programs and deficits that can NOT be sustained. Do you really think in the face of that, their thoughts are the "poor physicians"..... they have unions and others with their hands out and further forward in the line then physicians or a group like the AMA.... which very shortly they (government) will turn around and acknowledge that the AMA is not the representative of most physicians anyways.

UGH ... dude, I agree with you 100%, I don't know why we are arguing.

1. You're right, we shouldn't and I DON'T trust what the feds say/promise
2. No, I think they look at physicians as an unorganized, non-unified minority, hence ... they can vilify and eff them without thinking twice
3. I get that the AMA represents no one. Only like 17% of med professionals belong, and most are med students, or people who want their magazine or to put AMA on their website err something.

however, despite all this ... I still think the 21% cuts will be reversed, and I even believe a 'doc' fix is coming. Is this foolish? Can I explain it? Does it go against my above rant??? I guess. But I still think we'll see a reversal asap and a doc fix before November.

UGH ... dude, I agree with you 100%...

however, despite all this ... I still think the 21% cuts will be reversed, and I even believe a 'doc' fix is coming. Is this foolish? Can I explain it? Does it go against my above rant??? I guess. But I still think we'll see a reversal asap and a doc fix before November.
Yeh, I know. Maybe it's an American thing to try and believe the best with the contrary facing you 2 inches from your nose. For whatever reason, we can not use logic or obvious reality and instead, we "just want to believe".

I just wonder how many more chances we are going to keep giving... especially when these folks say they will do something, we believe they will NOT, they do it, and we are certain things will be different next time.... Most of what is going on has not been a surprise. Most has been "promised" in campaigns and the individual track records of the players.... But, we "just want to believe" these folks have nothing in common with the company they keep, the speaches they have made, the votes they have casted, etc...

Reminds me of my domestic abuse patients. They too "just want to believe"....
They just want to believe in the individual's innate goodness they are sure is there....
Also, reminds me of how difficult it is to practice "evidence based".... cause we don't want to believe the evidence.... we don't want to give up hope. It's like listening to an oncologist dancing around "the question".

Last edited:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/will_there_be_enough_family_ca.html

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. I hope the link works. I found the supposed quote from Obama to be interesting. I wonder what exactly that means. Also, I'm tired of reading "only 2% of med students are choosing primary care." That number only applies to IM residents in allopathic residencies, and its been used for a while now so I wonder if it is outdated.

Last edited:
None of that's in the bill. If anything, FM is the best place to be right now.

Click the links below for more info.

US healthcare bill would provide immediate benefits
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

Winners, losers in House healthcare bill
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62K1IV20100322

The biggest problem with the bill is the fact that there's very little in the way of cost controls. IMO, it's a trillion-dollar boondoggle.

Well now, I wouldn't say that.....

You'll have to be more specific. Remember which forum you're in.

Okay, more specifically, I don't think that family medicine is the "place to be" right now.

Oh God, do I ever have no interest in Family Medicine. NPs will be doing your jobs in a few years anyway....