So everyone i have spoken to LOVES their psych rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really enjoy psychiatry but since one my main drive to enter medical school was to open up an free / low cost outreach clinic for bread and butter family practice problems, I'm not sure I will be able to justify it to myself. I know that just as many poor people have psychiatry issues, but honestly letting go of "real" medicine after all this medical school seems like such a waste.

Looking for combined psychiatry / real medicine programs..But I don't think they exist outside of peds and neuro. Then again, there's my IMG stigma. My step was great, but I'm not sure I'm competitive enough for a dual program. Still have a year to decide...

I agree our medical system makes so little sense in some areas. I understand the reasons. You wouldn't want anybody with an MD opening up a surgery clinic...

There's some combined Psych/FM programs out there, and I think some Psych/IM. If you're interested in working with undeserved populations, a double certification in Psych/FM would probably be great, considering that populations that lack good access to primary care tend to lack mental health resources as well, and that becomes extremely important.

(And psych is "real" medicine. Last I checked, my brain was part of my body.)

Members don't see this ad.

psychiatry isn't 'real medicine', but neither is orthopaedics, radiology, pathology etc. Psychiatry can be frustrating because many patients never get better because they have completed f**ked up social lives, because of the lack of respectability, because everyone has an opinion and thinks they can chime in and know what they're talking about, because the therapies (talking and drugs aren't all that effective), because it is a target for all sorts of fringe groups (e.g. scientologists) who expose the fradulent research (even though there is probably as much fradulent research in other areas), because of the weak evidence base for practice, because unlike clinical psychology, psychiatry doesn't have an over-arching theoretical basis, because some of the patients are simply odious, and because many people who go into psychiatry are lazy, could not get into the specialty of their choice, and have no interest or aptitude in working for the mentally ill.

But it is also good fun, the hours are great, you meet all sorts of wonderful people include some very intelligent and creative individuals, as well as some of the most disadvantaged and inspiring; you get to make cool diagnoses (in the past year i've diagnosed Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia, paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis, neurosarcoidosis all manifesting as 'psychiatric'), i treated a patient with a phobic disorder with exposure therapy and cured his phobia, I uncovered a history of PTSD and borderline personality disorder in an epileptic patient who had managed to get all sorts of unnecessary surgery for her refractory epilepsy and come up with a plan to stop needless admissions, i cured a young boy who was 'paralyzed' (conversion disorder) with hypnosis and he walked out of the hospital!, treated a schizophrenic patient with psychogenic polydipsia with a sodium of 105, curtailed the florid psychotic mania of a patient with severe bipolar disorder, treated and 'cured' a paranoid psychosis secondary to benzodiazepine withdrawal, provided psychosocial support to a young women dying of breast cancer, have enjoyed the multi-faceted presentations of delirium from the hypoactive to the hyperactive, the sublime to the ridiculous, the saddening to the hilarious...heard a patient with Alzheimer's disease speak for the first (and last) time in 6 months....oh and I get to introduce skeptical medical students to this fascinating specialty, use film and literature to teach my students, and discuss philosophical issues like the concept of mental disorder, the rationality of suicide, the propriety of coercion, and whether the mind even exists.

That might sound like hell to you, but it sound great to me!

I really enjoy psychiatry but since one my main drive to enter medical school was to open up an free / low cost outreach clinic for bread and butter family practice problems, I'm not sure I will be able to justify it to myself. I know that just as many poor people have psychiatry issues, but honestly letting go of "real" medicine after all this medical school seems like such a waste.

Looking for combined psychiatry / real medicine programs..But I don't think they exist outside of peds and neuro. Then again, there's my IMG stigma. My step was great, but I'm not sure I'm competitive enough for a dual program. Still have a year to decide...

I agree our medical system makes so little sense in some areas. I understand the reasons. You wouldn't want anybody with an MD opening up a surgery clinic...

You're much better off with IM or FM. If you do psych, you should stick to the few remaining med/psych programs (I believe these are actually not that competitive as they are not very attractive to those interested in psych or medicine).

Don't believe the people saying that psych is no less real medicine than any other specialty. Aside from Path, all those other options require a full intern year in medicine/surgery, which gives you at least a reasonable foundation in those fields.

I would much sooner trust a FM resident with a family member's psych issues than a psych resident with a family member's medical issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're much better off with IM or FM. If you do psych, you should stick to the few remaining med/psych programs (I believe these are actually not that competitive as they are not very attractive to those interested in psych or medicine).

Don't believe the people saying that psych is no less real medicine than any other specialty. Aside from Path, all those other options require a full intern year in medicine/surgery, which gives you at least a reasonable foundation in those fields.

I would much sooner trust a FM resident with a family member's psych issues than a psych resident with a family member's medical issues.

You are misinterpreting the last few posts. No one is recommending that this person do a psych residency and then practice general medicine in a clinic. What I and the other posters above are saying is that poor people need psychiatric care too and this poster could satisfy both his interest in psych and his desire to do something for the underserved population by being a psychiatrist for an underserved population.

If the poster wants to open a general-purpose clinic, I think anyone would agree that psych residency alone is a bad choice.

Then take your family member to your FM. Not interested in treating your obese uncle's HTN/DM potpourri brah.

Doing psychiatry and then consult-psychiatry is a good way to stay in touch with medicine. As is doing your residency somewhere like UW which is really spearheading the movement for better medicine-psych integration.

I think the same things that some might see as "depressing" are the same things that make psych very rewarding...to help people in such difficult circumstances, with such difficult histories can be very fulfilling.