Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

So far so good?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by tothepark, Dec 23, 2008.

1. tothepark

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dear SDN members,

I am currently in my second year in college (/w Junior standing). I am a Pharmacology/Religious Studies double major and a Korean Studies minor and I have a 3.8 GPA.

Classwork this semester:
    I received an A in physics I, physics lab, and Orgo I.

ECs this semester:
    I am an EMT-B and I ride with my collegiate ambulance corps as well as a local fire department.
    I will begin research because it is required for my major.
    I have just finished working as a phtech at walgreens, and maybe getting a job at Adults and Children living with Developmental Disabilities (ACLDS).
    I also hope to get an EMT-CC certification in the near future.

I was wondering if I am on track to getting in top tier medical schools, if i continue with getting awesome grades, and getting leadership positions at more clubs. Also I would like to know if my major plays an important role in admissions, considering there are only 3 colleges that offer the pharmacology major to undergrads. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your major won't hurt you, though they might wonder why you took it. It'd be an interview question. My question is this: were those the only classes you took this semester, or were there others. Your medical curriculars are great, though I would recommend doing some non-med community servic

3. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You seem to have answered your own question concerning grades and leadership. The fact that pharm is offered at only 3 colleges probably matters less to adcomms vs you showing true passion for the field/being able to intelligently discuss it at interviews. Keep working hard and massacre MCAT.

4. tothepark

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I truly enjoy my major! So talking about the pharmacology field will be great if it comes up during the interview. I also took a writing class and a korean class in addition to physics and orgo. Does it matter if the major required an application process? For example, I had to apply to the pharmacology program at my school. This major is also really cool because many of the classes are taught by practicing physicians.

5. tothepark

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I also took a required writing and korean class, which I received As for as well.

6. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In short, the fact you applied to this major is not going to matter....at least compared to your GPA, MCATs, and ECs. So those are the things you want to concentrate on.