So far, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chippy17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I have a 3.4 oGPA with about a 3.3 sGPA. Though I haven't taken my DAT yet, I have started doing microbiology research on antibacterial resistant oral bacteria, shadowed for a general dentist and work as a part time dental assistant. With my research and clinical experience in mind, what are the chances I could get into any of the following schools?

UMDNJ, BU, Tufts, University of Maryland, Uconn, Columbia, NYU, Temple, or Nova Southeastern.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have a 3.4 oGPA with about a 3.3 sGPA. Though I haven't taken my DAT yet, I have started doing microbiology research on antibacterial resistant oral bacteria, shadowed for a general dentist and work as a part time dental assistant. With my research and clinical experience in mind, what are the chances I could get into any of the following schools?

UMDNJ, BU, Tufts, University of Maryland, Uconn, Columbia, NYU, Temple, or Nova Southeastern.

No DAT…can’t really say much

You'll have a good chance if you get 21+ on the DAT, and apply early ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

You need to add more schools to that list. The weak sGPA might hurt you. Aim for 21+ on the DAT. 20 might work but only if you apply June 1st and you apply broadly. Schools on the East Coast are a lot harder to get into than private schools on the West Coast.

I'd add Midwestern IL, Midwestern AZ, Western, USC, Roseman, and Case to that list. I'd remove Nova because they're notorious for rejecting people and its not even a good school to go to.

You need to add more schools to that list. The weak sGPA might hurt you. Aim for 21+ on the DAT. 20 might work but only if you apply June 1st and you apply broadly. Schools on the East Coast are a lot harder to get into than private schools on the West Coast.

I'd add Midwestern IL, Midwestern AZ, Western, USC, Roseman, and Case to that list. I'd remove Nova because they're notorious for rejecting people and its not even a good school to go to.
I was thinking of taking my DAT around August, so once this semester ends I could maximize my study time over the summer. Should I not do that since you guys are suggesting I apply June? Do you think August is too late?

I was thinking of taking my DAT around August, so once this semester ends I could maximize my study time over the summer. Should I not do that since you guys are suggesting I apply June? Do you think August is too late?

I took the DAT in August by the time my paperwork was done it was nearly September, I did not hear back from a lot of East Coast schools. I would try to take the DAT a lot earlier since your sGPA is a bit on the low side. Do what you can and take it as early as possible and apply. You dont want to risk having to reapply because you took the DAT so late.

Oh that's so good to know. I guess I'll push my testing date to late June early July instead.