So here's another one of those "Should I retake my DAT" questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeti81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 18
Bio 20
GC 17
OC 19
TS 19
AA 19
Cum gpa: 3.44
sCum gpa: I'm pretty sure it's higher than my cumulative gpa

So...what do you guys think? Should I retake it? I kinda feel like I'm borderline.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeti81 said:
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 18
Bio 20
GC 17
OC 19
TS 19
AA 19

So...what do you guys think? Should I retake it? I kinda feel like I'm borderline.

Are you applying next cycle? Your stats and DAT look fine... so if you apply early next cycle I'm sure you will be OK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm apply for the 2007 cycle.
Thanks for the response.

6 years ago those scores would rock! Not so sure about now-a-days. If the last 3 years are a trend, then next year will be absolutley nuts!

UCSF number or aplicants went up over 50% in 3 years! From about 1250 or so to almost 1900 last cycle.

It depends on where you want to go.

UoP? nope, not good enough.

All other things aboput your app being good, you will get in somewhere but the cycle will be painful for you. Dec 1st might come and go with nothing...I know, I went through it and have a little better numbers then you.

In conclusion: If you have the extra time, extra money, dead set on a hard school to get into and know you can do better. I'd say retake it.

Thanks guys. I guess I got a lotta thinking to do.

Yeti81 said:
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 18
Bio 20
GC 17
OC 19
TS 19
AA 19

I wouldn't retake it, I would just apply EARLY (end of May, early June) and try to volunteer in a dental office if you haven't.
Good Luck

Yeti81 said:
Thanks guys. I guess I got a lotta thinking to do.

i think you should consider PDIZZLE's post very seriously.

so to retake or not to retake?

it depends on the following questions:
1-can you do better?
2-do you have to go to schools like columbia, UCLA, UOP?

if the answer to both is "yes", then retake and apply early
if the answer to the first is "no", then answer to the second has to be "no", then you apply early
if the answer to the first is yes and to the second is "no", then retaking becomes a matter of time, convenience and money.

your DAT is 19/19/19. i can assure you that although this cycle has been ubber competitive, a considerable number of early applicants have indeed been accepted to schools like columbia and UCLA with DAT AA of 19. so your AA is good. what you should be concerned about is your TS. 19 is a bit low for total science in this application cycle.

on a seperate note, keep in mind that although some say that next cycle is gonna be more competitive, others actually say that it wont be as bad.

you'd be stunata to take it again! Don't put yourself through that again, your stats are great, just apply super early!

You DAT scores are definitely competitive for several schools. Remember, members on sdn only represent a small percentage of the applicants who applied this yr. You don't necessarily need to have 22+ on every section of the DAT to get into dental school. Your gpa and sci gpa is also extremely competitive as well. What school do you want to attend? You should contact that school in a couple of months and ask what was the average gpa/dat of the entering freshman class. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for all of your responses. I didn't expect to receive so much input. I am kinda shocked at how helpful some of the people on this forum can be.

Hi,

Statistics probably show for this test (as with most other standardized tests) that you probably won't do that much better the second time. I guess unless you just walked into the testing room without ever studying or looking at the DAT---you could improve with some studying in that case. But honestly. I have a friend with a 21AA, 19 PAT and she got into almost everywhere she applied (I think minus Harvard). I never thought my DAT 20 AA 20 PAT really even mattered to the schools (well obviously they used it for some sort of initial cut), but they never mentioned it in my interviews. They were much more interested in research, volunteering etc. I applied pretty late (end of August). I suggest instead of worrying about retaking the DAT you start putting your application together, write that essay and sit down in the middle of May when the application becomes available and submit it IMMEDIATELY! Also get all your letters together and transcripts. The sooner you apply the better chance you have over all.

Best of luck in the next cycle.

I know this is not what you would like to hear but I would study harder than you ever have before and retake the DAT. A quick look at www.predents.com shows that your DAT and GPA are at or below the average of 60 and 70% of the schools respectively. These numbers are from last years cycles so you can almost be certain that for this year and next year it’s even worse. This obviously does not mean that you cannot get in with these scores but if your scores are below the average you are working from a disadvantaged position. Get your app in early and retake the DAT.